Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Probably been said before but colleagues who always need stuff immediately from you, yet are impossible to get hold of when you have a query or clarification, usually to do with the very thing they've urgently requested.

Reactions: 10
This guy in my team is obsessed with becoming the new TL. The role has been vacant for the last 6 months and he has been focusing on it so much, it is getting on my nerves. Every single time I talk to him, he keeps saying "If I were the TL" or "If I become the TL". He didn't even ask whether I applied for not as he's under the assumption I haven't (true I haven't) and thinks he's gonna get the role. He is already acting as though he is the TL when he hasn't even been approached for an interview and his application has been pending for two months.

On Friday, the manager's manager left and someone else was appointed. The structure is such as all TLs report to this director in the system and anyone under TLs report to the TLs. They made the changes in the system to have all 3 existing TLs report to the director in the system and added me into the list of people reporting into him. So, it's the TLs + me. This desperate guy saw this in the system this morning and pinged me telling me why I'm directly reporting to the director and how strange it is and how he's not reporting to the director in the system.

Like mind your own business. It could be they're slowly migrating everyone in our team under the director until they find a TL. Calm down. He is making assumptions and exhausting me.
He sounds way too desperate and is making it too obvious, i would think this could hurt his chances.

Reactions: 3
He sounds way too desperate and is making it too obvious, i would think this could hurt his chances.
He does and in all fairness, he would be a horrific team lead.

Someone in our team had a surgery and therefore was off for 10 days. He kept complaining that he didn't understand why surgery required 10 days off and it's too long. Then, the person who had the surgery had a severe complication and had to be hospitalized for another week. Then this aspiring TL said it was unacceptable because the person was off for "far too long" and whoever becomes TL will have to "nip this in the bud".

Same with me - when I told them I was still experiencing severe grief-related anxiety after my dad's death 4 months prior, he said: "well, we all have problems".

The way he speaks about his former co-workers who left is shocking as well. He literally has a problem with everybody. If this person becomes TL, then we're in for a ride.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
I could write an entire BOOK on the underhand things that happen at my work. But here's this one for starters...this happened to me about six months into my employment with them, I've now been there for 3.5 years. Company is a small independent company with no HR department. Two mates set up a business 16 years ago and it turned into a success, very much work hard, play hard type guys.

Anyway, a young girl works there (who is now the office manager, she's 20 with no experience in management, but because she's extremely well liked, no one really objects to stuff like managing people, that isn't being done) Before she was given that position she was an office junior that also helped out in Credit Control. About six months into me working there people suddenly started giving me the cold shoulder. I earn extremely good bonus from an account I brought with me from my previous employment. Turns out that she discovered she had access to a part of the system that showed who got paid what. It wasn't until one day she started gossiping to me about what people got paid. And then the penny dropped....she had also gossiped to the rest of the team what I was getting paid. People weren't happy that I was earning as much as I was. She actually told me that that was why people were being off with me. I had had this customer for almost 20 years, they came with me from my first employment which started in 2002, then to my second and now to this one (I've stayed in the same industry my whole career) and got the account to a point where they are spending tens of thousands a month, therefor my bonus is good when they are spending big bucks. I've worked my whole life taking care of this customer, and the office junior took it upon herself to have an issue with that when she saw what I was getting paid. And then so did everyone else once she'd told them. Needless to say I had both of my directors into a meeting about it and tore them both a new one.

Like I say, that's just ONE example of the tit that goes on at my work. Sad to say there is plenty more than that. I can't leave because like i said, I'm very well paid for my role and would take a serious drop in wages if I went somewhere else, and let's be fair, is not ideal for anyone with the current cost of living crisis. So it's a case of "shut up and put up (with it)"

I actually have the day off today but I'm not enjoying it because I'm constantly worried and have anxiety as to what's happening and being said about me while I'm not there (it's very much like that)

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Sounds like he has no business managing anybody.
Agreed. It blows my mind in 2022 that some people still devote their entire being to work and can't fathom that a person has other priorities outside of work. I say this all the time, but has the pandemic not shown people the light on this? We're all only a number and completely replaceable. The corporate wheel will keep turning whether any individual is on it or off it. How is prioritising work over recovering from surgery, grieving the loss of a loved one, taking care of their children or indeed their mental health a wise approach? Any management worth their salt gets this and encourages valued employees to have a balanced approach to work and personal life.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Wholeheartedly agree.

It sounds to me like this individual thinks work trumps everything else because they have nothing going on. No compassion or emotional intelligence whatsoever. I can understand certain personal circumstances need to be left at the door when you get to work in the morning, but no within the context of the above-mentioned examples. Some people didn't learn a thing from the pandemic, unfortunately. I don't have much tolerance for people like this, let alone if they aspire to work in management.

He even complained about our former manager being stepping away from his PC for two hours at a time during Level 5 lockdown. The manager had very young twins (aged 2 at the time), no creche was open, so of course, he had to do what he had to do to take care of his kids and he always stayed late to makeup for it.

Reactions: 2
I don't see him getting the job and if he did I'm sure there will be a mass exodus. As the old saying goes, people don't leave jobs they leave people. His mentality is outmoded. It's from a time when jobs were scarce and people stayed in one company for the duration of their career and became "part of the family". Nowadays its an employees market and if you can't have a personal life in one company you'll soon find that balance somewhere else. I worked with a man before who took extended parental leave as his wife had a tough birth and needed surgery. She was very sick and he would have had his hands full with a couple of kids at home. He was supposed to be off work for a couple of months and yet he was joining calls and on emails the whole time. Did that perceived dedication make him a c-suite exec? Did if f**k, it's years later and he's still in the exact same role. To what end was he sacrificing his sanity, health and approved time off with his precious family. I'll never know why people carry on like this!

Wholeheartedly agree.

It sounds to me like this individual thinks work trumps everything else because they have nothing going on. No compassion or emotional intelligence whatsoever. I can understand certain personal circumstances need to be left at the door when you get to work in the morning, but no within the context of the above-mentioned examples. Some people didn't learn a thing from the pandemic, unfortunately. I don't have much tolerance for people like this, let alone if they aspire to work in management.

He even complained about our former manager being stepping away from his PC for two hours at a time during Level 5 lockdown. The manager had very young twins (aged 2 at the time), no creche was open, so of course, he had to do what he had to do to take care of his kids and he always stayed late to makeup for it.
Hopefully all of that is being noted and he gets nowhere in his quest for promotion.
BIB - why did he even think that was any of his business!

Hopefully all of that is being noted and he gets nowhere in his quest for promotion.
BIB - why did he even think that was any of his business!
Yeah, I don't even know how he thinks it was even appropriate to monitor our manager's comings and goings.

I'm praying he doesn't get the promotion. He is the most authoritarian and heartless person I've ever come across in my entire life.

In my work people have a habit of emailing me then ringing or instant screen messaging me straight after to announce that they've sent me an email as if that is going to make me check it any quicker

Reactions: 7
People logging in when on AL and what not is so unhelpful too, it makes things so messy and confusing. Case in point, today I spotted that information in a certain sheet hadn't been filled in as it should have for Monday morning. The person responsible was on AL so I wrote in our joined team chat asking if anyone can cover for her. The girl in question replies (which is aggravating in itself as then I'm like ? are you on AL or not?) saying she actually had done it and added a screenshot. Long story short it was a miscommunicado and she'd filled in the wrong section. So I said "no worries, can you fill the correct one in today then?" and she replies "no because I'm on AL" ??? then WHY are you online you silly witch

Literally what is the point? You're only online to clap back at people but not do your actual job, yet no one will cover for you now as you're basically working anyway :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I have never understood people who even think about work whilst on AL never mind log in or even pop in

Reactions: 9
I have never understood people who even think about work whilst on AL never mind log in or even pop in
I would love to be one of those people but in my first ‘proper’ job I had a boss that absolutely hated staff going on AL. You could guarantee that on your last day before leave, they’d manufacture some issue to completely stress you out and ruin your break, and you’d end up being hauled over the coals on your first day back for whatever made up reason, as well as coming back in to an inbox that was so full of ‘urgent’ stuff they’d decided they needed doing yesterday. It was completely toxic but working like that genuinely traumatised me and now I still find it impossible to actually relax on leave, even though I left that company over ten years ago. I still find myself checking emails a lot when I’m off because I late coming in to a full inbox and people chasing. I am getting better, slowly, but I will never enjoy AL.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I had a manager at one time who, when he was going on holidays would start digging out stuff he had been avoiding doing, and giving it to me to get done. It used to really stress me because it was on top of my own workload. Plus the fact that he had been sitting on it for weeks, but it was suddenly urgent for me to do, didn't help.

Another colleague who knew him of old said to me, ask him what he wants you to prioritise. He still did it but I asked every time did he want me to put it ahead of other stuff. At least I felt a bit less stressed once I started to do that.

He wasn't the worst, in fairness.

There's a manager in my company who was promoted to the senior management team in the last year. It's a big step up for her and well deserved, but you can tell she's overwhelmed with her workload and a bit green managing people. She flaps ahead of meetings and has people doing "busy work" that isn't really needed on the off chance she gets asked for info. She keeps farming out her admin to anyone who'll take it on, even those that don't report to her. She takes over meetings droning on and on, presumably to impress. It's got to the point where a few of us have commented how we dread her inevitable calls and emails. She clearly has a lot on her plate but she waits until the last minute to pass on her requests and creates pressure and panic. My tolerance for office bullshit is completely depleted since returning to the office.

Reactions: 4
People logging in when on AL and what not is so unhelpful too, it makes things so messy and confusing. Case in point, today I spotted that information in a certain sheet hadn't been filled in as it should have for Monday morning. The person responsible was on AL so I wrote in our joined team chat asking if anyone can cover for her. The girl in question replies (which is aggravating in itself as then I'm like ? are you on AL or not?) saying she actually had done it and added a screenshot. Long story short it was a miscommunicado and she'd filled in the wrong section. So I said "no worries, can you fill the correct one in today then?" and she replies "no because I'm on AL" ??? then WHY are you online you silly witch

Literally what is the point? You're only online to clap back at people but not do your actual job, yet no one will cover for you now as you're basically working anyway :rolleyes:
My line manager does this to me all the time. They say before they go on annual leave “could you watch my inbox and do any urgent items please” (we have shared inboxes)…so when she is on AL, I go, look at the urgent stuff, reply to a few, then stuff disappears from the box. She files away the completed emails in realtime!! Once or twice I’ve been in the middle of sorting one and replying to find she’s pipped me to the post… then WHY ASK ME TO COVER when you’re going to be lurking and organising and replying to select people?! It makes me look like a moron when a recipient gets an email from me at the same time as my boss, where I’ve said, Hello, BossName is on annual leave this week, I’ve looked into your query and [xyz]… only for them to receive an email from BossName anyway… pisses me off, I’ve event told her it causes confusion, and she says she can’t help herself. She was supposed to be at the beach last week with her kids, which she said she was looking forward to… so for her to be checking her emails and replying/filing them away at 2pm on her day off is lunacy to me. Her boss isn’t unreasonable either, she’s allowed to take her leave in peace so it’s not like this is being demanded of her.

Annual leave should mean remain logged off. Else you just set the precedent that you can be reached on your time off.

Reactions: 6
Treat me coldly when my bully boss is around (I'm her victim) and overcompensate by killing me with kindness when she's not.
Oh, and exclude me from social outings because I'm older than them.
Yeah, you got it right : I'm very unhappy in work.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.