Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I sit next to someone who will often start humming a tune. Its not annoying as such, it just very hypnotic and it makes me feel sleepy. I lose all concentration on what I'm doing and feel like I could just lay down, keep listening and drift off😴. I know...weird 😕

• Haha
Reactions: 5
When someone is on compassionate leave and they're being bombarded with calls and texts from work - FGS! (Not me, my neighbour who very sadly lost her husband).
Today was the funeral of my dear neighbour's husband and when she checked her phone after the service (which she only did as someone she was expecting to see hadn't turned up), there were three voicemail messages from someone at her work, demanding that she call them back because only two people know how to do a certain piece to wrap up end of month procedures and they needed the information "STAT." Why didn't they call the other person? Because they're having a "well-deserved day off after carrying the workload of two people for a good week while you've been away." (That bit was included in the third message). The gall of it! I have offered to call this person back on my neighbour's behalf to give them a piece of my mind! (She's thinking about it). And no, this is NOT urgent - it's something that has to be done within 10 days of the new month. :mad: She is going to hand in her resignation when she returns on Monday (good!).

As if having her husband pass away unexpectedly (in his sleep, from an aneurysm) wasn't tough enough to deal with ... I've said it once and will say it again, I think many people have become bitter and lacking in compassion since the emergence of Covid.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Today was the funeral of my dear neighbour's husband and when she checked her phone after the service (which she only did as someone she was expecting to see hadn't turned up), there were three voicemail messages from someone at her work, demanding that she call them back because only two people know how to do a certain piece to wrap up end of month procedures and they needed the information "STAT." Why didn't they call the other person? Because they're having a "well-deserved day off after carrying the workload of two people for a good week while you've been away." (That bit was included in the third message). The gall of it! I have offered to call this person back on my neighbour's behalf to give them a piece of my mind! (She's thinking about it). And no, this is NOT urgent - it's something that has to be done within 10 days of the new month. :mad: She is going to hand in her resignation when she returns on Monday (good!).

As if having her husband pass away unexpectedly (in his sleep, from an aneurysm) wasn't tough enough to deal with ... I've said it once and will say it again, I think many people have become bitter and lacking in compassion since the emergence of Covid.
Nothing to do with Covid, they are just selfish. I would find it hard to call someone in this situation even if it was urgent. I really don't understand how someone could do this .

Reactions: 18

She should put in a formal complain to HR and play the voicemails as evidence.
How dare they harass her when she is burying her husband?!

Reactions: 25
Start a job (which wasn't urgent or really necessary) then not finish it! Especially when they're part time and I'm the only full time one, so I end up having to finish what they've started or it will just sit untouched for another week until they're in for their one day a week!

Reactions: 7
When you ask people for feedback and they give some random answer to "Development Area" for the sake of it. Just eff off.

I asked for feedback to my "buddy" (clueless as can be). The "development area" this person outlined was:

"I suggest (insert name) is extra-careful with the system as it is not user-friendly".

First of all, we don't work in IT or accounting or any sort of function where making a mistake in the system would lead to a disaster. I worked with accounting systems & various banking systems (including client-related ones) in the past and any mistake can be rectified. We simply use this system to lodge evidence and reports for internal purposes. I've always used the system correctly and this person knows it as I always ask them to double-check my inputs in case there's an issue and they never reverted saying something was done incorrectly.

The system is not user friendly, so what? How is this my problem and therefore a development area for me? Shouldn't it be a development area for the company instead? This is the type of feedback you relay in surveys or to tech, not to an employee on their performance.

First & last time I'm asking for feedback to this person. Geez.

Reactions: 4
I think by them just breathing at this point is enough to annoy me. Cba.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Update for anyone who's interested: My neighbour asked if I could phone her colleague back because she just does not have the stomach for it - nor does she have the strength to return on Monday. I decided to go higher, so spoke to the department head (one level up from my neighbour's boss), and explained the situation and they could not have been nicer. They were extremely annoyed with the message the colleague left and said they'd be dealing with them separately (I do believe they will). They also agreed to let my neighbour resign with immediate effect, and will give her two months' salary in recognition of her valuable contribution to the company over the past few years. That is amazing! Of course she's rapt - it's just one less thing she has to worry about (she doesn't need to work). The department head also said they disappointed nobody told him of my neighbour's situation because they would have attended the funeral if they'd known. This person has restored my faith in humanity.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
When people make mistakes on reports that directly impact your work, you call them out and their answer is: "The finished report has always looked like this". Then you have to remind them that the finished report was never like this and ask them to take a look at previous reports which clearly prove them wrong. The person pulled the incorrect list for the Vlookup and kept saying: "The raw report has always been like that". Well, I'm not talking about the raw report, I'm talking about the list you used to perform your incorrect Vlookup. Two whole legal entities haven't just disappeared into thin air in a month. I may have been in the job for just a year, but I'm not an idiot.

Between the one who pulled the data completely incorrectly at month end without checking the figures because they were complete skewed, preventing everyone from performing their quarterly analyses for 2 weeks and the one performing an incorrect Vlookup on another report that also prevents me from finishing my analysis. Geez. Hard to believe these people work in a so-called "Risk" function.

Funnily enough, the person who messed up the Vlookup based report is the person who called out the person who messed up set of month end data in front of everyone.

No doubt I'm overqualified for this.

Reactions: 7
Smh.

I pinged someone from my team I haven't spoken to in a while. I was being polite "Hi, how are things?". Their response was: "What's your query?". No greetings, nothing. Rudeness at its finest.

We've been working remotely for a year & I've never set a foot in the office. Yet, have been wondering I haven't been able to connect with anyone in this company lol. I'm deluding myself. Well, with their attitude I'm at the point where I don't want to connect with anyone anymore, even if we return to the office.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I'm the youngest in my work place by 20 years, they are lovely ladies and hard workers but I swear at least once every day they all say its their last day and they won't be in tomorrow as they are fed up with it. Next day without fail they are there 🤣 just quit!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Saying how we’re “a happy family” all the time. No, I’m good friends with a few people but even they aren’t my family, so people I don’t like definitely are not 🙃 also, none of us are happy at the moment.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm the youngest in my work place by 20 years, they are lovely ladies and hard workers but I swear at least once every day they all say its their last day and they won't be in tomorrow as they are fed up with it. Next day without fail they are there 🤣 just quit!
I used to work with someone like that. Almost weekly she would throw papers on to her desk and say “that’s it. I’ve had enough” and storm out”. Usually when she was asked to actually do some work!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I used to work with someone like that. Almost weekly she would throw papers on to her desk and say “that’s it. I’ve had enough” and storm out”. Usually when she was asked to actually do some work!
It really annoys me as our job is perfect for parents, it's term time only and in school hours, they are all over retirement age so if they really do hate it, why not go enjoy life and let someone else have a chance?! Or even find a job you will enjoy.

Reactions: 9
Sorry if this has been covered but I want to know if I'm tight or not with leaving collection money 😂

My department is having real issues with staff turnover at the moment and it's beyond ridiculous.
In the past 8 months, 16 people have left (and 4 on mat leave and 2 weddings so they had collections). It might not sound a lot but there's only 36 in a the department so it's a big chunk.

How much do people usually put in a leaving collection thing? Sometimes I've barely worked with the person directly and even more so I covid wfh I've never met them! I used to put £5 in but now it's £3 but it's still adding up...

Pre covid a colleague had a 'work stag' (is that even a thing?!) And we all had to chip in and pay for his cocktail making class and his meal and this stupid outfit... Best bit is none of us were invited to the actual wedding..

I dunno if I'm just a tight witch but it's really adding up to be a lot of money now 😬 I don't earn a lot.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Sorry if this has been covered but I want to know if I'm tight or not with leaving collection money 😂

My department is having real issues with staff turnover at the moment and it's beyond ridiculous.
In the past 8 months, 16 people have left (and 4 on mat leave and 2 weddings so they had collections). It might not sound a lot but there's only 36 in a the department so it's a big chunk.

How much do people usually put in a leaving collection thing? Sometimes I've barely worked with the person directly and even more so I covid wfh I've never met them! I used to put £5 in but now it's £3 but it's still adding up...

Pre covid a colleague had a 'work stag' (is that even a thing?!) And we all had to chip in and pay for his cocktail making class and his meal and this stupid outfit... Best bit is none of us were invited to the actual wedding..

I dunno if I'm just a tight witch but it's really adding up to be a lot of money now 😬 I don't earn a lot.
I'm not a fan of this either, I don't think you are tight. Personally I wouldn't want people parting with their hard earned money just because I was leaving work or I was going to be away from work, especially if these people aren't my friends or closer colleagues at work. This goes for birthday gifts/wedding/baby gifts too. Maybe I'm a moody witch but I don't really want to be involved in the gift money for Liz from whatever department to whom I've barely spoken over the past 5 years? I'm happy to do something nice for people I'm actually close with (which are incredibly few) but the unwritten rule of everyone chipping in is a pain in the arse.

If it's really putting a dent in your income, I'd say keep it to the bare minimum and for people that you actually want to pay for, and tell the person collecting that you have payments that you need to prioritise and you can't spare that right now.

Reactions: 8

I’m really grumpy with collections, purely as if/when I get anything it’s always a bottle of pink Prosecco or gin (I rarely drink) and flowers (I’m really really allergic). I started a new job back in 2019 and as soon as I started I had to pay £10 for a get well present, £10 for a baby shower gift and £20 for the birthday fund.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
So my manager and another colleague are on holiday and one piece of work that only these two can do hasn’t been done, my manager has just texted me from her holiday asking me to do it and sent me a guide and then gone offline. This sh*t p*sses me off!!!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.