Amber Gill

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly? Probably because she was mixed race. You get a different insight into the show watching it as a black woman tbh .. let’s not pretend like love island doesn’t have an issue with women of colour- in however many years that it’s been going on there’s been maybe 3 black women on the show and I’d say probably 3 mixed race women too? Your comment about finding Ambers in provincial night clubs is a little 🥴 tbh
isn’t Joanna mixed race? Also I thought that too. Mixed race people are a rarity so the fact she thinks you can find another amber in any nightclub is laughable

Reactions: 3
isn’t Joanna mixed race? Also I thought that too. Mixed race people are a rarity so the fact she thinks you can find another amber in any nightclub is laughable
Sorry I should have clarified I was referring to mixed race in terms of half white / half black but that’s pretty ignorant of me! I think Joanna is half Greek?

Reactions: 6
Sorry I should have clarified I was referring to mixed race in terms of half white / half black but that’s pretty ignorant of me! I think Joanna is half Greek?
aren't greek people still white? so she isn't mixed race, she's mixed ethnicity?

Reactions: 7
aren't greek people still white? so she isn't mixed race, she's mixed ethnicity?
yeah Greek people are white too.

The UK's 85% white. Since Love Island went mainstream white people have been under-represented. People with significant black heritage have been over-represented.

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose 🤷‍♀️ Irony of ironies... go back less than a couple of years you'd find Amber staggering around dingy clubs on the Toon.
wow, Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon is that you babe?

• Haha
Reactions: 22
The UK's 85% white. Since Love Island went mainstream white people have been under-represented. People with significant black heritage have been over-represented.

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose 🤷‍♀️ Irony of ironies... go back less than a couple of years you'd find Amber staggering around dingy clubs on the Toon.
Lol wow the closet racist really jumped right out didn’t it? You’re talking nonsense though I’d love to know what ‘significant black heritage’ means, please do explain.

Reactions: 35

If you're gonna play around with statistics to make your weird ass point, at least do it properly. Love Island doesn't have over 70s hobbling around the villa, so you should be looking at the % for the younger subset of the population. And even then, that's not gonna be a fair baseline - Love Island is meant to represent a very specific social scene (i.e. nightlife in the UK's major cities), and I can tell you your average nightclub in Manchester is not 85% white lol. And in any case, you're being obtuse if you think the demographics of a show like Love Island should exactly match the ethnic makeup of the UK. Representation is more complicated than that, and if you think having a show full of white people is fine because that matches a percentage you googled, I'm not sure you're clued up enough to engage in the discussion you're attempting to have.

Maura and Greg are from Ireland and were on UK Love Island - considering they aren't even from the UK and Irish-born people make up less than 1% of the UK population, Irish people were extraordinarily overrepresented in S5 according to your metric! Someone start the moral panic! But I bet you don't get your knickers in a twist over that.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
If that's the case why were none of the guys interested in her? You find numerous Ambers in every provincial nightclub.
Uh yes they were .. Greg, Michael, Tommy liked her at the start, Callum, Joe, Danny took her on a date and one of the Casa Amor boys liked her too. You may not like Amber for whatever reason but she’s undeniably stunning and I’ve not come across many that look like her :)

Reactions: 26
If that's the case why were none of the guys interested in her? You find numerous Ambers in every provincial nightclub.
What’s your vendetta against Amber please. We aren’t exactly raving about her on here but you seem like she stole your man or something 🤣 talking about black people and all these statistics. She’s half black and half white it’s almost as if you forget that she’s mixed race and you’re ready to target her black side 👀

Reactions: 25
Me too!
Lucie literally tried to pursue Tommy after crying about Joe and when Tommy was with Molly. She was always the girl that said “I’m not like the other girls” to impress the boys. She’s just a fraud. Yewande was always classy in the show and even when dealing with the Arabella situation, she was never nasty to her

As I’m mixed race with an unusual biblical name, I know exactly how it feels when people don’t bother trying to say your name right. There is definitely a racist vibe to this. Just because someone’s name is hard to say doesn’t mean you can insist that you call them by a LETTER?? To be honest I think Amber is a great friend for sticking up for Yewande.
1000%. Really gone off Amber as of late due to her fitness plan and Dubai trip but there’s no doubt she’s a really good friend. I’m white and have an unusual Irish name. Unlike the name Yewande, my name isn’t said how it’s spelt and that can trip people up a lot when they read it. People have mispronounced my name, called me different names accidentally, etc. But never have I once been asked to go by a nickname so it was easier for someone to remember or pronounce my name. Lucie continuously asking Yewande if she could call her Y is such a microaggression and she should’ve been given a talking to by the LI producers at the very least.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35
1000%. Really gone off Amber as of late due to her fitness plan and Dubai trip but there’s no doubt she’s a really good friend. I’m white and have an unusual Irish name. Unlike the name Yewande, my name isn’t said how it’s spelt and that can trip people up a lot when they read it. People have mispronounced my name, called me different names accidentally, etc. But never have I once been asked to go by a nickname so it was easier for someone to remember or pronounce my name. Lucie continuously asking Yewande if she could call her Y is such a microaggression and she should’ve been given a talking to by the LI producers at the very least.
Interestingly I'm white Irish living in the UK with an unusual Irish name that is hard to pronounce and spell. I have been asked to go by a nickname or "is there any easier name we could call you" I was even asked if I'd go by the English of my name and I refused as I have never ever been called by it I would probably not respond if they had started doing that. Now in the end everyone learnt my name and it was grand but I did face the obstacle in the beginning I didn't care though I just found it bizarre they wanted to go to all the effort of changing it to English or going by a nickname when I didn't know anyone in the workplace yet. I even had an arguement on the phone once as my surname is sometimes a first name and the women was trying to that must be ur first name not ur surname and I honestly had to say I think I know my own first and last name.

Reactions: 20
Interestingly I'm white Irish living in the UK with an unusual Irish name that is hard to pronounce and spell. I have been asked to go by a nickname or "is there any easier name we could call you" I was even asked if I'd go by the English of my name and I refused as I have never ever been called by it I would probably not respond if they had started doing that. Now in the end everyone learnt my name and it was grand but I did face the obstacle in the beginning I didn't care though I just found it bizarre they wanted to go to all the effort of changing it to English or going by a nickname when I didn't know anyone in the workplace yet. I even had an arguement on the phone once as my surname is sometimes a first name and the women was trying to that must be ur first name not ur surname and I honestly had to say I think I know my own first and last name.
Thats very rude - unfortunately i've been in the position where when working in a pub, the polish girls were given emglish nicknames. It was about 15 years ago. looking back, though the intentions weren't bad it was definitely wrong.

I also did a stint in asupermarket, i have an irish first name and uncommon surname.our til receipts used show our full names at the end, wheretime and date would also be. One time an americsn tourist looked at it,made a balls of bothfirst and surname saying 'Xxxxx Yyyyy, what sorta name is that?!' I was raging!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 17
Oh wow, that seems awful to go through. I think I’ve been quite lucky on the name front then. For me, now, it’s the opposite, as in primary and secondary school all the kids were really receptive to it. They’d question it at first but after that it was fine, maybe comments were made behind my back but other than that I had no issues. Kind of proves the idea that kids are taught hatred and micro aggressions, but at the same time I did grow up in Devon and there weren’t many POC in my school. I’m sure it would be different for someone who wasn’t white. Though my Year 7&8 art teacher did refuse to say my name right as she apparently had “too many names and pronunciations to remember.”

I’m starting to get more odd reactions now about my name, and similar to your experience they have acted in slight disbelief. But that’s the English for you, lol. I think they’ll see a white person and assume they’re English too, and then be thrown off when they have a different name and/or accent.

Thats very rude - unfortunately i've been in the position where when working in a pub, the polish girls were given emglish nicknames. It was about 15 years ago. looking back, though the intentions weren't bad it was definitely wrong.

I also did a stint in asupermarket, i have an irish first name and uncommon surname.our til receipts used show our full names at the end, wheretime and date would also be. One time an americsn tourist looked at it,made a balls of bothfirst and surname saying 'Xxxxx Yyyyy, what sorta name is that?!' I was raging!!!
That’s awful! Polish people have been really mistreated in the UK and it’s not spoken about enough. My best friend is part Polish and we were talking the other day about how sad it is that both Polish and Irish names (as well as many others) have been anglicised. Her surname has been shortened down to only five letters just so it’s easier for people to understand.

Ergh I can’t stand Americans lol. What did you say?

Reactions: 11
Oh wow, that seems awful to go through. I think I’ve been quite lucky on the name front then. For me, now, it’s the opposite, as in primary and secondary school all the kids were really receptive to it. They’d question it at first but after that it was fine, maybe comments were made behind my back but other than that I had no issues. Kind of proves the idea that kids are taught hatred and micro aggressions, but at the same time I did grow up in Devon and there weren’t many POC in my school. I’m sure it would be different for someone who wasn’t white. Though my Year 7&8 art teacher did refuse to say my name right as she apparently had “too many names and pronunciations to remember.”

I’m starting to get more odd reactions now about my name, and similar to your experience they have acted in slight disbelief. But that’s the English for you, lol. I think they’ll see a white person and assume they’re English too, and then be thrown off when they have a different name and/or accent.

That’s awful! Polish people have been really mistreated in the UK and it’s not spoken about enough. My best friend is part Polish and we were talking the other day about how sad it is that both Polish and Irish names (as well as many others) have been anglicised. Her surname has been shortened down to only five letters just so it’s easier for people to understand.

i get what your saying! A guy at a place I once worked was called Mohammed but the manager asked him to refer to himself as Mo when speaking to customers, he said “oh I don’t have anything against the name, it’s Muhammad Ali is my favourite fighter but you know how Muslims are getting a lot of bad press at the moment, it would be easier for you” ...like what the duck?! I always called him his full name.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 28

It was a part time job when i was 16 so i just explained the pronunciation my first name and told them the meaning of it. I was still in the customer is always right frame of mind so held in my rage til my lunchbreak!

Reactions: 2
I always try to be very clear when I say my name over the phone at work or at appointments. I'm constantly spelling it now just second nature. I get looks sometimes about it and comments like oh that's different. I even had it spelt phonetically when I was in hospital once on the door for the staff LOL
But we degress from amber she is a pain 😂

Is this me? This is my everyday lived experience! Oh the joy of someone saying my name right before I have to tell them 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Amber "No one has ever turned me down".
Amber "I'm a 10 out of 10 in personality and looks"

The same Amber who Michael left for Joanna who in my opinion had a bett personality.

The same Amber that Greg used her to win the Love Island money and then leave her because she was too much.

I wish she would have some humility 😂

Got to say though, she's a very good friend to her mates but I can't ignore the way she behaves in the villa. mean girl through and through. Remember when she was sat with Anna and others talking tit about Danny and then called him over and asked him "have you got a problem" 😂

Reactions: 12
Got to say though, she's a very good friend to her mates but I can't ignore the way she behaves in the villa. mean girl through and through.
Agree! I couldn’t warm to her for the Mean Girl behaviour but she is 2018 Georgia style “LoYaL, bAbE,” when it comes to her friends.

Reactions: 5
i get what your saying! A guy at a place I once worked was called Mohammed but the manager asked him to refer to himself as Mo when speaking to customers, he said “oh I don’t have anything against the name, it’s Muhammad Ali is my favourite fighter but you know how Muslims are getting a lot of bad press at the moment, it would be easier for you” ...like what the duck?! I always called him his full name.
So beyond horrid and I don’t get how people can fool themselves into thinking it’s not rude! It’ll be interesting in a few years when all these kids called Apple and Ocean - and whatever the duck Elon Musk’s child is called - will be at school. I wonder what their experiences will be and how it’ll differ across the different races and ethnicities.

Reactions: 7