Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Yea I’m a fan of the Dresden Dolls, I live in New Zealand where she’s been since the beginning of the pandemic. I find her interesting but kinda nuts and very out of touch. She lives on Waiheke Island near Auckland (crowded, touristy, overpriced and only the very rich can afford to live there) but she makes out as it’s this humble, working class island community where everybody is one with the earth blah blah blah sunflower seeds - in reality the average house price on Waiheke Island is $3.5 million. Give up the struggling artist act Amanda lol

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12

Jodenice

Her latest, beg on toast post

Dear Everyone...

Below is a link to "ENJOY THE SILENCE": the Depeche Mode cover I recorded exactly one week ago, when I went into Roundhead Studios in Auckland (fun fact, created by Neil Finn of Crowded House!) for two full days of studio time with no planned agenda.

I had a professional film crew webcast my studio process for over 10 hours, while my patrons watched, chatted, joked and discussed with me. At one point they voted - fair and square - on a cover song they wanted to hear: the winner was "Enjoy the Silence"....a song that's near and dear to my tired old goth heart.

Over the course of the two days, my patrons hung out with me in the studio via the webcast while I picked the key, made tempo choices, arranged the piano, explained my thinking and choices, recorded the tracks, went into a vocal booth, decided on overdubs and effects...everything. It was a masterclass in how to create a cover song, and it was SO FUN...I had the best two days of my life in a long time. We all felt...together. The studio crew were incredible and worked really hard to do several jobs at once: put on a webcast show and record a song simultaneously.

My patrons helped me work; we all kept each other company all over the world. People woke up and went to bed and kissed each other good night and good morning. We celebrated a birthday, everybody heard me pee by accident at one point, we had two special guests come into the studio (Neil Gaiman and Reb Fountain).

Two days after we finished, I sent the final mix over to Jherek Bischoff to master and he added a few extra heart-crushing strings, recorded in his house in LA. The result is this almost-too-beautiful-for-words (see what I did there) recording.

You can listen to it, read the entire story, see all the photos, and access all the webcast links through the ink below. The song will play right off the patron post, and there's also a soundcloud link, where you can download it.

For now, you need to be a patron to listen.

Why? Because patronage is what paid for this all to happen. In the old system - when I was on a major label - there is no way that this kind of "work" could make a profit. There was no avenue through which to "monetize" this kind of fast and connected creativity. On the contrary: I used to pay my own money out of pocket to do hi-jinks like this, and just consider myself lucky that I earned enough money on the road to support my "weird project" habit. Now I can do weird projects and get PAID.

This song will probably not be going up on Spotify, as I'm currently in the middle of figuring out what to do with my music over there given the current tussle over there.

I'll likely put it on Bandcamp when I have the time to do some hollering about it on the Internetz. It's a really good cover, it moves me, I know it's good. So it's worth my time and attention, and I don't have that now...I'm on my own with my kid for the next few days.

My friends: I will crawl out of my hole and remind you every once in a while: I'm a working musician, it's a strange way to earn a living, and there are costs.

This is my JOB. I know it sounds weird, but it is.

I have to earn. I can make these magical sounds, but the money to pay for the recording studio, the film crew, the engineers, the mastering, the piano tuning, my house rent, my food, my office rent in New York, my assistant Micahel's salary and insurance costs...it does not happen by goddamn magic. Beyond patronage, I do not have another major source of income right now, especially with Covid and no touring happening. You know how I wrote a bestselling book back in 2014? That doesn't mean anything at the moment. I do not get a check. I GOT that check already.

The music and the art happens because people want me to put it into the world, and some are willing to give me a salary so that I can work. Those people are my patrons. Their collective dollars cover my ability to live and work.

It really is that basic. It's REAL.

If you want to become a patron right now, I'd love it. I had about 15,000 patrons at the start of the pandemic, and that's dwindled down to around 12,000. That trend isn't uncommon right now: the pandemic has led to a lot of belt-tightening for all people who use crowdfunding. I am still fine. I will not starve, I've cut costs, I'm in a very safe zone.

But I know there are people out there who love my work who maybe haven't considered giving me $1 a month in order to keep me in my job and safe zone.

I'm so: I'm asking. And you'll get to hear this beautiful song and get access to the 10+ hours of studio footage. Yes, it's a sales pitch. Yes, I am not above that. I'm Amanda Palmer. Have you forgotten?

If you can't afford it? Don't do it. Don't struggle. It's more than okay. The beautiful thing about patronage is that almost nothing STAYS behind the paywall for very long.

I'll put the song out to the public sometime soon - on Bandcamp - and I may even ask my patrons if they think cutting together a little youtube clip (30, 40 minutes?) of the best-of-the-studio-process footage is a good use of funds. That will go out free to everyone, probably on Vimeo and Youtube, funded by the patrons. Everybody wins. I know there are a lot of people out there who want the art but who cannot afford to pay me for it. That's fine. It all comes around.

I said it before and I'll say it once more: it costs as little as a dollar a month to be a patron.

If you are wondering What You Can Do in the face of the Spotifys, you can do THIS.

This. You can support an artist directly and pay her for her hard work, and feel the pleasure in knowing that 99% of your money isn't going into the pocket of some creepy middleman. It feels nice, trust me.

Enjoy the Music.

And to my readers here who are already patrons...thank you. You know it means the world to me to have your support, financial and emotional and otherwise. Thank you for being my art family, and thank you helping me make this. I love you all to bits.

Here it is, folks:

x AFP

• Angry
  • Sick
  • Wow

Vanelope

VIP Member
Her Patreon is like a little cult, but thinking about other Patreons that produce nothing ‘Jack Monroe’ - she does churn out a lot of blogs, songs, Q&As, Patreon meet ups and performances and she does giveaways etc and people seem happy to support her. I like the Dresden dolls stuff, I can leave the ukulele. She is talented while also being a narcissist and unbearable showoff. I’m glad she now has real eyebrows.

I also think she is doing her best for Ash.

Flibbertigibbet

Chatty Member
I am so behind on Tattle! Has this beautiful piece of writing come out yet on substack and patreon?
I saw that Amanda was not only referring to herself in the third person, but she had split her person up into parts based on times in her life. Old Boston Amanda and New Mom Amanda. Truly, her ego is as epic as a Norse saga.

• Haha

Flibbertigibbet

Chatty Member
Long overdue for someone to tell this twat to sit down and shut her fool ass mouth!

Like this talentless beggar C U Next Tuesday was even on Sinead’s radar.

The grief vultures coming out after her death are disgusting.
Didn’t give a shit about her in life but using her to get likes, false sympathy and ass pats on social media🖕
I have never seen the like. This is the first hero from my early teens to die, and nearly everyone in Ireland is sorry about it but every second post on my social media feeds is someone using Sinéad's beautiful face for likes. I am interested in hearing what musicians and bands who worked with her have to say, and her friends and family - when they are ready, but some grifter like Amanda Palmer, or some fucking bar in San Francisco where she had a drink once, some influencer pretending they loved her when all they knew was her most popular song which she didn't even write, they should indeed shut their fool ass mouths as you rightly say!

TheStrawberryThief

I have enjoyed a lot of his books and comics, and I do enjoy some of her music ( although I much prefer her older stuff). I just don't really like them as people anymore.

What I find really obnoxious is the way Amanda acts like she is the first women to ever experience a common female experience and is now an authority on it.

Did you know his parents were Scientologists?
Yes. Neil Gaiman is from a prominent Scieno family. His (Scieno converts) parents ran a highly profitable East Grinstead (UK Sci headquarters in there) based vitamin supplier business, G&G Vitamins, which I believe is still firmly in business despite his father dying a few years back. His father was also head of PR for the cult for a long time after joining them in the 60s. Scientology uses huge doses of vitamins in various dubious 'therapies' (think giant doses of niacinamide which make your skin go bright red which is used in conjunction with saunas to try and .. oh fuck knows, sweat out your inner demons or some shit they do) so it was basically a company directly connected to the cult, a nice money spinner, doubtless all the dupes were directed there to buy their doses.

I mean, Gaiman is from money. Dresses like a gothy bag person who doesn't own a hairbrush, but then people from actual money often do (see also Helena Bonham Carter for reference), it's only new money that flashes it around. Now, it's not Microsoft money, but he was brought up with money enough to be able to pursue writing - never a big money spinner for most who pursue it - as a career. His first wife was a $cientologist he met at East Grinstead, the ones deep in and generational Scis only marry each other. He was never listed as an SP (Suppressive Person, a label given to anyone in who then renounces Scientology) and was listed as a member in good standing and with donations long after he wasn't really with Mary (his first wife) anymore, so I never believe he's really 'out' out. Anyone who leaves the cult isn't allowed to speak to family still in - they are supposed to shun the leaver and refer to them as an SP. Until I see Gaiman listed as an SP I will not believe he has left. Perhaps he keeps his distance, but I strongly doubt he has broken off contact and put himself in their (traditionally criminally unpleasant) firing line. His sister Claire is apparently Head of International Missions for the cult, so there you go.

Apparently Palmer has some familial connections to Scientology too, but has batted it away to the point of making fun of the 'rumour' in one of her videos (think it was Do It With a Rock Star). I think she's just his type (see Poundland Tori Amos, thirty years too late), but it wouldn't shock me if there was some weird Scieno bullshit behind their connection tbqh.

I recall some scuttlebutt from years and years ago that in his very early career, early-ish eighties, when he was still a journalist, and before he did Sandman and became A Great Big Thing, he was somewhat notorious for shilling $cientology at various writing conventions and annoying the livid blue shit out of people. Seems to have dropped that sharpish after learning how it alienated the very people he wanted to get in with in the publishing industry. He always seems to have had a nose for who to collaborate with or pal up with to increase his options and his audience. The Tori Amos connection probably brought him a decent uptick in sales over time. Amanda Palmer, smaller, but again, it helped keep him connected to younger people through her fanbase.

I know someone who has worked on a couple of TV adaptations of his stuff - American Gods and Sandman, I will one day have to ask her for any scuttlebutt about him or Palmer she's been privy to.

• Wow

Dustye

Good that he's back in the same country as his son. I was really disappointed when I heard about him breaking lockdown and leaving NZ, not only for the obvious reasons but also because it seemed really shitty to leave your child like that, whatever is going on with your partner/co-parent.

Pixieboots

Chatty Member
So glad this thread is here! I was such a fangirl for a while, I cringe thinking back on it.

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I feel like a hypocrite, because I’ve clearly stated in this thread that I dislike AP and find her disturbing at times. But, it makes me really sad to think she was married to someone who may have broken her spirit (or tried to).

• Sad
  • Heart

sweetnessfollows

VIP Member
Just in case anyone was wondering what a truly horrible person Amanda Palmer is, here is her blog post about Russell Brand. I'm putting it behind a spoiler with a warning there's a lot of details about assault.

But this is the nightmare part (her words)

In the case of Russell, he’s been really open about his many dicey life choices, so it would be weird to be “surprised” here.

He's being accused of grooming and raping but that's just run of the mill "dicey" lad behaviour.

I just can't with her.

• Angry
  • Wow

Flibbertigibbet

Chatty Member
This has come up on other threads but it deseves a place here for your scorn: In which Amanda Fucking Palmer claims she understands how Sinéad O'Connor, a supremely talented woman who had suffered abuse as a child and had PTSD and was bipolar in a very repressive world, felt being booed at Madison Square Gardens because she had made an astonishingly brave statement that would only be grudgingly acknowledged to be true many years later. Amanda knows how this feels because she too has been shouted down and drowned out and wondered if she was crazy. And Sinéad would be proud of her for rattling off the first stupid self-absorbed thoughts that come to her mind when she hears the news of Sinéad's death.

"
Sinéad.

If I were a different kind of person I would let it settle and wait a few days to collect my thoughts and do this the right and grown-up way but I think she’d be more proud of me for writing like this….pulled off to the side of the highway writing from my fucking heart because that’s she did, all her life, made from the heart.

I got my first Sinéad record at age 14 - I Do Not Want What I Have Not Got - dubbed from my mentor Anthony’s CD collection onto a 90-minute Maxell XLII blank cassette tape. It changed my life. I wanted the artwork, so I borrowed Anthony’s CD booklet, took it down to the town library xerox machine, copied it, and carefully and lovingly cut it to size for a cassette tape. So I could see her face.

Her face.

I learned every song by heart.

She was fierceness and honestly incarnate.

She howled her heart out so purely that people had no idea what to make of it.

This is a woman who ripped up a picture of the pope on Saturday Night Live (when it had no ”safety delay”) to draw attention to the sex abuse happening in the Catholic Church, after delivering “War” by Bob Marley, a cappella:

Until the philosophy which hold one race
Superior and another Inferior
Is finally
And permanently
Discredited
And abandoned
Everywhere is war.

Twelve days later she took the stage at Madison Square Garden for a Bob Dylan tribute festival and you could barely hear her sing over the boos and jeers from the crowd. She scrapped her planned Dylan song and screamed out “War” again, as the crowd tried to overpower her.

That feeling. Many women have been there. I have been there too, shaking, as it feels like the whole world is trying to shout and drown you out, and put you in your place. Wondering if I am the crazy one. Wondering if this many people are right. Or wrong. Or even real.

She was right about the church. She was very fucking right.

She was right about so many things.

Now that she is dead, I know she’ll be lauded and applauded.

But back then? That night? How do you imagine she felt that night, crawling into bed, having been abused by a crowd of thousands? How would you feel? What would that do to you? Would you care if the world turned around, forty years later, and said: “Sorry about that, you were actually very brave?”

This is a woman who boycotted the Grammys saying she did not want “to be part of a world that measures artistic ability by material success.” This is a woman who refused to play US national anthem before certain concerts. That went down reallll well, too.

She was hated, she was scorned, she was cancelled for being honest over and over again. That SNL move was the beginning of the end of a career in many ways. She never recovered.

Too much, they said. Go away.

She used her voice. She kept on speaking.

She was loud. Being a loud woman is not fucking convenient, for anyone. Ever. Not around here.

She was strikingly beautiful. She shaved her head and gave the middle finger to the beauty standard. She wore combat boots and jeans. She opened her mouth to the max, literally. She did not mumble; she roared. She inspired me into taking power; she inspired so many of my friends. She showed us all another way. There’s this way, too. Go this way, she seemed to be screaming, GO.

Dismissed as crazy. She struggled, and she struggled, and she struggled. She was punished, she was mocked, she was ridiculed.

She retreated and came back time and time again, her roar ragged, her frustration jagged and visible. Painful. You could see it, feel it. We mourned it, me and my friends.

Sinéad? Misunderstood? Which chicken, which egg?

What the world did to Sinéad was death by a thousand cuts. The world lauded her, worshipped her, bought her, sold her, forgave her, claimed her, disavowed her. Over and over in cycles. How could anyone survive that? Like a piece of metal getting bent over and over and over again. It breaks.

She began as a fragile person. A fragile artist. Which is why her songs were so beautiful and powerful to begin with. A raw heart. A mother. Not an idea, not a theoretical. A person.

The world loved the taste of her. The world didn’t know how to digest her. The world spit her out.

She never apologized for ripping up that picture of the pope. When asked later, she said “I’m not sorry I did it. It was brilliant”.

It was.

She was.

Never forget this woman.

Let her memory guide us.

Let them scream at you, but do not stop singing.

Never apologize just to make them happy, to make them go away, to “get along”, to make them accept you.

No, no, no.

Me say War.

Sinéad….rest in world-changing ripped paper phoenix-pieces from the stage, rising and burning into the white night stars. Find peace at last. I hope you forgive us what we could not give you."

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Her Patreon is like a little cult, but thinking about other Patreons that produce nothing ‘Jack Monroe’ - she does churn out a lot of blogs, songs, Q&As, Patreon meet ups and performances and she does giveaways etc and people seem happy to support her. I like the Dresden dolls stuff, I can leave the ukulele. She is talented while also being a narcissist and unbearable showoff. I’m glad she now has real eyebrows.

I also think she is doing her best for Ash.
Yes, aside from Coin Operated Boy, none of her output appeals to me whatsoever.

BUT, I’m so aware of the way motherhood clips women’s wings and Neil, a supposed progressive lefty, has stood back like a Victorian father and allowed AP’s career to nose-dive, while literally leaving the country that his infant son lives in, eschewing all responsibility in favour of his career.

Failed at first hurdle mate.

Flibbertigibbet

Chatty Member
Kent is a long way from Tipperary. Shane MacGowan would snarl at her, puke on her shoes, and still write a lyric better than her entire oeuvre while blind drunk and forgetting her name.

• Haha

Hollaaa

VIP Member
That whole post is so offensive and badly written. The arrogance of her thinking she can tell people what they should and shouldn't feel about their own personal situations.