Amanda Owen, The Yorkshire Shepherdess

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to adore watching her and her family,kids are lovely but I feel like she has changed for the worse. Saw her on a Ben Fogle prog recently&she seemed full of herself and quite bolshy if that’s the word

Reactions: 2
I really like her shows. I know on another forum I read some stuff about safety issues at the farm - around kids playing on equipment etc and that this wouldn't be allowed. However that may be all historical and have been address now/poss was never true. I really love watched those programmes in lockdown 1

It made me uncomfortable how much the eldest girl was taking care of the younger children and doing the cream teas too.
Not just helping out, but having that as a regular job she was expected to do.
I also think Clemmie is favoured over the other children by Amanda. A couple of them never seem to get a word in, or any acknowledgement from their mum when they're in a bigger group.
Overall, they have a lovely lifestyle and they are all great kids. But yes, Amanda herself has started that influencer smug persona with plenty of #ad posts creeping in.
It's put me off her a bit.

Reactions: 8
Growing up in a farming community the amount of chores they have doesn't phase me, nor the health and safety stuff (I think we got up to far worse than riding a quadbike without helmets) but I do wonder how she manages to have time to do anything with all the things she has on the go.
I do wonder about the way she dresses too - those miniskirts don't look practical on a freezing moor!
I read a couple of the books. They have a cottage right behind them so not totally alone. I do wonder if they really are as remote as they make out.

Reactions: 3
It made me uncomfortable how much the eldest girl was taking care of the younger children and doing the cream teas too.
Not just helping out, but having that as a regular job she was expected to do.
I also think Clemmie is favoured over the other children by Amanda. A couple of them never seem to get a word in, or any acknowledgement from their mum when they're in a bigger group.
Overall, they have a lovely lifestyle and they are all great kids. But yes, Amanda herself has started that influencer smug persona with plenty of #ad posts creeping in.
It's put me off her a bit.
Yes, me too, I was hoping she’d stay grounded, which she is compared to many insta mums, hopefully she’ll have the good sense to say “hey this has gone far enough, let’s have less fame and more farming”.

Reactions: 4
She has been shooting her mouth off about today's kids being snowflakes and not being able to look after themselves. I expect parents who don't live in a rural area are more protective if their children in an urban environment. You don't know who's who in the middle of a big city. She is an extremely confident woman and somewhat too sure of herself. Her 2 eldest have done ok but you have 7 to go Amanda, your parenting style may have not succeeded with all of them so engage brain before opening mouth. Yes she does favour Clemmie, she can see herself in her.

Reactions: 9
I can’t stand that she doesn’t wear a hat 🤷🏻‍♀️ She just puts her hood up. We are on a lowland farm that rarely gets snow but my hat is firmly attached to my head from October to April. 🤔😆

I do like the general gist of the kids growing up on a rural farm, being independent etc, but there has been a few times I've watched the program and thought that doesn't sit right with me.. one of those times was when she had the three youngest girls, they were quite young as none of them had started school and only the very youngest had a car seat and everyones straps were on, but were all hanging off them or under their armpits - clearly they don't put a lot of value on car safety. It wasn't exactly like they were nipping 5 minutes round the corner, think it was like an hour round trip.

Reactions: 5
On our Yorkshire farm tonight ,little Annis was in the car coming back from getting the hay with just the adult seatbelt and no car seat!

Reactions: 1
I really like the programme. I definitely couldn't live that lifestyle though! I think what sets her apart as an influencer is how interesting and unusual her life is, and I'm sure she genuinely couldn't give a shiny shite what randoms on the Internet think! It will be a while before she complains of trolls I reckon

Saw her on the Ben Fogle revisit recently. I don't think she's someone I could be around for long periods of time. Seems to have a domineering 'my way or the high way attitude'. But I guess if she's Queen of her farm she's going to be like that. Never seen her in any other environment.

Reactions: 5
Saw her on the Ben Fogle revisit recently. I don't think she's someone I could be around for long periods of time. Seems to have a domineering 'my way or the high way attitude'. But I guess if she's Queen of her farm she's going to be like that. Never seen her in any other environment.
And her husband is well under the Thumb

I did read once that he has been married before and had two kids from that marriage!
Can’t seem to find anything on it though.
Probably nothing to find, it's Amanda who has catapulted the family to fame.

I really like them, have read a couple of her books too. I think farmers in general are just made different. Kids have to be a bit more independent because they are so busy. I sometimes feel Amanda gets a bit nervous and that’s why she comes across the way she does on interviews. Can tell with this series they’ve started earning a bit more though with new cars and house etc. They don’t own the farm they’re in they just rent so I think FairPlay that they’ve now managed to save enough to buy their own for future. I think the kids are clearly very loved and it shows how loving they are to each other. As for clemmie being favourite I think that’s more channel 5 highlighting her more because she makes for good tv.

I did read once that he has been married before and had two kids from that marriage!
Can’t seem to find anything on it though.
It’s mentioned in her books that he has other kids

I quite agree, they’ve remained likeable and grounded, unlike other families like the Radfords, “fame” and money has changed them... and not for the better.