Alternative to Turkey (because you might not get one)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We're having beef and gammon. Turkey on boxing day round my parents

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've never liked turkey. Can't bear the smell and its too dry. When I was young we had turkey but I would get chops or sausages intead which I loved. Luckily him indoors doesn't like turkey so we have roast ham or beef with all the trimmings.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve been veggie since I was a teen so never had to buy one- parents hate turkey so was always a nice roast lamb on the menu! How about taking inspo from other countries’ Xmas dinners? Turkey isn’t a thing in other countries and lamb, goose, pork feature as the main dishes. I think if I were a meat lover my ideal Xmas dinner would be something like a Beef Wellington or lamb with rosemary.
I always have a quorn joint. I dont like nut roast. My husband has a chicken and shares it with the cats.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I Christmas day no one to cook for expect my partner so we are having curry for lunch with the works naan etc
The evening meal of yorkshire pud mash and pigs in blankets

Reactions: 2
I've only cooked turkey once. I got the crown out on the chopping board to add butter and salt before cooking but it just looked like a big purple bum it turned me sick.

We have steak as the kids also enjoy it.

(Steak, roasties, mash, yorkshires, cauliflower cheese, roast parsnips, carrots, peas, braised red cabbage with some steak sauces on the table if needed).

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I don’t like Turkey and my father hated cooking them (he finds them too needy) so me and my family always had roast beef for our Christmas dinner.

Reactions: 1
Bad news, can't order a Turkey for xmas, according to my branch of Sainsbury's they haven't taken orders for 2 weeks.
Other supermarkets have the same problem.

So if we can't get one by the 22nd Dec it will be a Roast Lamb on xmas day..

If you can't get a Turkey, what will you have instead?
Goose is a very nice alternative to Turkey. You can roast the potatoes in the goose fat and they are delicious. In fact ordinarily that is what I use to roast my spuds.

Lamb, Chicken anything which takes your fancy. Depends how many you’re catering for.

A glazed ham is always a good option. I don't really cook a Christmas dinner as it's only me and my husband. We just graze all day on home made sausages rolls, pate etc.

We always go out for a beautiful lunch on Boxing day and that is when I have my roast turkey etc.

Even a nice roast chicken might be a good alternative.

Not a popular vote but as a Vegan family we have a great meal.. Seitan en Croute with mushroom gravy and all the usual foods - we have roast potatoes and vegan Yorkies, red cabbage, brussels, cauli cheese. Apple Pie and Vegan Cream. We don't miss anything.

My mum has always got a turkey crown and cooked another joint of meat, usually gammon. The last few years she’s done gammon I’ve not even bothered having turkey. This year will be no different. I’d rather have the turkey in a curry tbh.

We’re having beef this year since there are less mouths to feed. I prefer it to turkey anyway.

I don't get the whole turkey thing at all. It's a cheap meat that no one eats for the rest of the year and the whole focus is the stop the thing drying out.

I don't get the whole turkey thing at all. It's a cheap meat that no one eats for the rest of the year and the whole focus is the stop the thing drying out.
I cook turkey the Phil Vickery way - it is really steaming it - and takes way less time. Only having a crown this year but same mode of cooking.

Shame really, would be nice to have a turkey a few times over the year.