Alternative to Turkey (because you might not get one)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bad news, can't order a Turkey for xmas, according to my branch of Sainsbury's they haven't taken orders for 2 weeks.
Other supermarkets have the same problem.

So if we can't get one by the 22nd Dec it will be a Roast Lamb on xmas day..

If you can't get a Turkey, what will you have instead?

We got our turkey today. But if we couldn't have got one, I'd have just got chicken and beef and we'd have both.

Reactions: 3
Ours in on order from our butchers, its definitely worth seeing if your local one is still taking orders. OK more expensive than sainsburys but I much prefer them.

Alternatively you could look at getting a goose?

Reactions: 2
My husband has suggested pork and chicken instead of turkey this year. Mostly to do with us unlikely wanting to face the rush at the shops when they are released but also we are just going to my mums, not many mouths to feed (she is single and my younger brothers lives there).

As someone said above your local butcher is a good shout and I’m sure they’d be thrilled to have the business 😃

Ours in on order from our butchers, its definitely worth seeing if your local one is still taking orders. OK more expensive than sainsburys but I much prefer them.

Alternatively you could look at getting a goose?
Sadly goose isn't an option and there is no local butchers, well not in a 10 mile radius.

• Sad
If we can't get one, I'll go with chicken and double up on pigs in blankets.
I'd love to do lamb but the kids won't touch it.

Chicken ... I find turkey too strong; cranberry goes well with chicken too (if you've already bought it for the turkey).

We have 2 legs of lamb in the freezer which is why Lamb is on the menu for xmas day, this is just in case we have problems obtaining any more meat for the Sunday Lunches. I'm thinking there might be a shortage due to the Bird Flu which is part of the problem for the lack of Turkey.

We have 2 legs of lamb in the freezer which is why Lamb is on the menu for xmas day, this is just in case we have problems obtaining any more meat for the Sunday Lunches. I'm thinking there might be a shortage due to the Bird Flu which is part of the problem for the lack of Turkey.
I wondered if people wouldn't be able to get it due to the bird flu outbreak, one farm in North Yorks near my stepmum have had to cull thousands of birds she was saying 😔

I don't have Xmas dinner, I haven't for years, I'm usually visiting my last surviving elderly relative on Xmas day, I cook them a dinner & take it to them, but then it's beef or lamb on Boxing Day for me. 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We all hate turkey in my house and always have chicken. I do worry we might struggle to find a decent one this year!

We've got our Turkey from M&S but I've seen loads of fresh/frozen in our Sainsbury's. If i couldn't get one I'd probably get chicken or beef

We never buy turkey for Xmas dinner! The few times I’ve had it at other people’s houses I’ve always thought it was over rated. We usually have a ham, and something else. We’ve had beef, lamb, 3 bird roast and even chicken.

I got a frozen crown from Aldi just last week. Had frozen before and it’s fine, they had loads.

On years where we’ve not had turkey we’ve done duck, beef and I think chicken one year😅

I don’t like a whole turkey anyway, prefer just a crown.
Can’t go wrong with a ham joint either.

I don’t like a whole turkey anyway, prefer just a crown.
Can’t go wrong with a ham joint either.
AH yes, the boiled ham, getting that this week, only a small one because it's only my Mother and I who will eat it.

I thought you were suggesting alternatives to the country Turkey 😂 😂

I prefer roast chicken over turkey anyway. Since there will be no large gatherings this year, I don't want my family to invest in a whole lot of food that they will get tired of in the following days. Maybe just going for the breast rather than a whole bird is more managable.

Reactions: 5
AH yes, the boiled ham, getting that this week, only a small one because it's only my Mother and I who will eat it.
Lovely. I always use the water it was boiled in to make soup. Delicious.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve been veggie since I was a teen so never had to buy one- parents hate turkey so was always a nice roast lamb on the menu! How about taking inspo from other countries’ Xmas dinners? Turkey isn’t a thing in other countries and lamb, goose, pork feature as the main dishes. I think if I were a meat lover my ideal Xmas dinner would be something like a Beef Wellington or lamb with rosemary.

I've never done turkey . We prefer beef or gammon with maple syrup.