Alone on New Year's Eve 2022

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been on my own on NYE for 7 years now since my last relationship ended. I went out with a friend one year, but to be honest I prefer to be in on my own 🙈 Just me and my 9 year old who will be in bed way before midnight. I understand how it can be hard. The first year I cried and felt so down. Now though it’s just like any other day to me. I relax in my PJs and watch whatever I want on tv. It’s over-hyped so much, which puts pressure on people. It’s just another day and it definitely gets easier with time ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve been on my own on NYE for 7 years now since my last relationship ended. I went out with a friend one year, but to be honest I prefer to be in on my own 🙈 Just me and my 9 year old who will be in bed way before midnight. I understand how it can be hard. The first year I cried and felt so down. Now though it’s just like any other day to me. I relax in my PJs and watch whatever I want on tv. It’s over-hyped so much, which puts pressure on people. It’s just another day and it definitely gets easier with time ❤
I really do feel the pressure. It quite literally causes anxiety within me. It's the same every year for my birthday too. The pressure to be having a bleeping brilliant!!! amazing!!! social!!! partying time!!!

and even if you are at a party in a silver sparky dress, drinking wine and dancing under a disco ball... it still feels like you're not doing enough or having "enough" fun

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I think New Year is a lonely night. Even in Relationships I'd rather treat it as a normal night and go to bed at usual time.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My fella is upstairs and i'm on the sofa with the cat. I used to feel a bit low/FOMO on NYE but as i've got older it's worn off and i'm fine just chilling at home. Gona watch the full monty and get a beer from the fridge.

Reactions: 8
I’m already in my bed after an exhausting week at work. I’ve got to be back in tomorrow as we have a lot of crew off sick, so I’m doing my best to compensate for that. We were invited to a party but I didn’t want to go as it’s quite far away so it meant staying the night. I’m not really a new year person and I find the whole thing to be very melancholic… I usually disappear at 11.55pm if we are with friends so I can be alone with my thoughts and not have to join in the whole “Happy New Year” bullshit.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m at home with my daughter but I’ll probably go to bed at 10/11pm. Just another day for me.

my sister and her friends. they came over and my mum joined too and both her and my sister love to drink and when they do they get snappy, aggresive and mean (but only at me - im the youngest) reminds me of when i was in school and would come home to my mum drunk and nasty.
my sisters friends are not my kind of people - made awful jokes about horrific things that gave me a lump in my throat and my eyes water. at one point i had to go upstairs because my heart was pounding out my chest and i was on the verge of tears
i tried to speak to my mum about the "jokes" and i was dismissed and snarled at

they didn't even notice when i slipped away and when i did try and re-join it was like i wasn't even in the room. id try to join in and joke and play games and id be ignored and it was like they all decided that anything i said wasnt funny or worth listening to.

i went to bed feeling truly alone and sad in my heart. felt trodden on

this was after christmas where once again, my sister made me cry from being so nasty (but it's all in direct so my mum acts obvliviois most times) and when i want to call her out on it, i get told not to because "it'll cause drama"

that was a ramble, apologies 😣
~

thank you all for posting on this thread, it's making me feel better 💗🥹
I’m sorry to read this. Time to distance from them?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sorry to hear of those struggling at this time of year. It really is a depressing day isn't it? I feel like most people who "celebrate" are probably also feeling low/alone but are trying their best to get through it the best way they know how. I've never liked New Years, even as a child I'd feel low/depressed/sad etc and then one year a family member passed away on New Years Eve and it all but broke me. I couldn't even withstand people saying the words "happy new year" to me, nor could I say it back. I still struggle with that if I'm honest. Usually I try my best to ignore the day now but it's literally rammed down our throats on SM and with the fireworks going off. I always feel lonely, no matter who I'm with. I always feel down, no matter what I'm doing. I usually stay in with my other half and we just eat crap and watch TV and try to forget what day it is. I honestly feel that a lot of people struggle on this day, you're not alone. Sending love ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I think New Year is a lonely night. Even in Relationships I'd rather treat it as a normal night and go to bed at usual time.
I agree. I’ve always disliked it, even when I was younger, and actually made the effort to go out.
It’s just me and the OH tonight, searching for things to watch on TV.
I’ve been aware of feeling a bit lonely lately anyway, and I think NYE enforces that feeling.
I think I’ll be in bed long before 12.

• Heart
I’ve been ignoring it all day but feeling myself getting tense now. I always get like this at New Year because I associate it with bad memories growing up, but I’m a bloody adult now so I need to get over that. I also can’t be arsed with people who I never hear from trying to phone me and them getting emotional. Can’t wait until it’s all over 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It sounds pathetic but I get upset at Christmas ending when it's new years eve :( so depressing knowing everything will be packed away and we'll be back to work (or school when I was younger) in couple of days. I'm listening to Christmas songs atm to cheer myself up 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I think a lot of the pressure comes from social media. People only show their best bits and some of what is shown is staged. That’s what we need to remember x

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm on my own(ish). Son is here but he spends all his time in his room, so I'm basically on my own.
I've had FOMO for 20 odd years about NYE, always struggled to find something to do, most people I knew always went to the pub which I couldn't as I had young kids, or they went to family parties which I wasn't invited to. Once my kids got older it wasn't any better as everyone started staying in, or going away. Even meeting my Ex didn't help, as he had less friends than me!

There's this whole perception that you should be spending New Year with a big crowd of people and for most of us it's bollocks. My parents never went out on New Year, when I was young we'd have a little celebration at home and toast the New Year and that was it.

Last year for the first time I decided I was over it all. I was happy to be with my then partner, just the two of us. I spent the evening watching tit on TV and he was asleep on my lap from about 8pm til I woke him up just before midnight. And it was fine.

And now this year we're no longer together. So tonight I've got chocolate peanuts and popcorn, and am watching Criminal Minds. I have got some fake Baileys but not sure whether to open it as it's possible eldest son may need a lift home later. He's been an arse today so I should just tell him to get an Uber, but I'm a mug.

Thank you for this thread ❤ It's a welcome break from the current bragfest on my social media and a nice reminder that a quite New Year is perfectly normal and entirely acceptable.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My oh has gone to bed, the dog has gone with him, I'm on the sofa watching the full monty, feels like a normal night, years ago we'd have been out , I used to hate it, so am happy just being alone!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Christ almighty the speeches are in full flow now 🤦‍♀️ Think I’ll stay off social media tonight.

Reactions: 12
I've spent many nye's out, always felt forced. I'm snuggled up on sofa this year with my dogs watching The bodyguard on TV and this makes me happy.
Those struggling, it is just another night and you aren't alone, take care of yourselves x

Reactions: 9
Also alone tonight. Tbh happy to be! I've been poorly recently and I feel like being alone means no pressure. I can just chill and do what I want.

I quite like the concept of the new year and January always feels like a fresh start but then I do try to find the positives in everything 😂
(I love mondays for this reason too so I am definitely odd lol!)

Reactions: 4
I think a lot of the pressure comes from social media. People only show their best bits and some of what is shown is staged. That’s what we need to remember x
Maybe it's social media nowadays but I think there was a lot of pressure for the millennium and it never really went away for new year.

My husband has gone to bed but I decided to stay up - so hello everyone I'm sitting here on my own. 🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Maybe it's social media nowadays but I think there was a lot of pressure for the millennium and it never really went away for new year.
that's an interesting point!

My husband has gone to bed but I decided to stay up - so hello everyone I'm sitting here on my own. 🙌
welcome 💗

and u are welcome @Lalla 🥰

I've just had some vegan chinese (yuummm) and i've finished cleaning/cleansing my room. Will now give myself a manicure and wait for my sweet tooth to kick in.

My mum is staying tonight and she'll be in bed before 12 and that's usually when the lonely kicks in. When it's just me awake in the house and it turns 12, fireworks going off everywhere hearing people cheer and I just feel swallowed by loneliness / emptiness.

Cheers y'all 🥹

Reactions: 4