All things eBay - Selling, Buying & Listing

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know you guys probably already know....

Beware selling on eBay - they now insist on you logging a proper bank account with them to sell. Don't use your main bank account...

You can NEVER delete your bank details if you decide to stop selling - you can only CLOSE your eBay account to rid them of your details.

They will however allow you to add a different bank account in order to delete your 'primary' bank account you first put in. I've used my Revolut account for this as its only used for holidays/internet spending.

I also deleted the direct debit in my main bank account so the duplicitous buggers have to make some efforts if they want to re-access my main account.

Reactions: 4

Beware selling on eBay - they now insist on you logging a proper bank account with them to sell. Don't use your main bank account...

You can NEVER delete your bank details if you decide to stop selling - you can only CLOSE your eBay account to rid them of your details.

They will however allow you to add a different bank account in order to delete your 'primary' bank account you first put in. I've used my Revolut account for this as its only used for holidays/internet spending.

I also deleted the direct debit in my main bank account so the duplicitous buggers have to make some efforts if they want to re-access my main account.
Can I ask why your saying this?

Reactions: 2

I guess this is really only a "problem" if there is a dispute

Reactions: 1
I guess this is really only a "problem" if there is a dispute
Would you be happy for eBay to have your banking details in perpetuity - I'm certainly not. Hence as soon as I found out after being paid out from the sale I made... I swapped the details over onto my little used Revolut account - I suppose I could've used an old 'dormant' account from when I was a kid or even opened a fresh new ebay only bank account and opted for one of those basic bank accounts.

Would you be happy for eBay to have your banking details in perpetuity - I'm certainly not. Hence as soon as I found out after being paid out from the sale I made... I swapped the details over onto my little used Revolut account - I suppose I could've used an old 'dormant' account from when I was a kid or even opened a fresh new ebay only bank account and opted for one of those basic bank accounts.
Yeah, I’m not bothered. Most companies whomhave your details for DD keep it into perpetuity.
If you give us your address I’ll send you some tinfoil

How else are they suppose to pay you? It is a standard idea with the likes of Vinted doing it. Any DD you set up with also hold them.

What exactly do you think they are going to do with your account details?!

How else are they suppose to pay you? It is a standard idea with the likes of Vinted doing it. Any DD you set up with also hold them.

What exactly do you think they are going to do with your account details?!
Erm, the old way was the option of bank details OR Paypal. eBay to the detriment of selling customers decided to drop Paypal once they'd sold it off. It also means they can turn you over if a buyer plays silly fuckers - then disputes the sale - they win your gear and keep the money, you are doubly out of pocket.

You can choose to be blaise with your bank details if you want - but I'd rather the choice to be able to delete them off a companies servers when I want - not to be told be them to effectively duck off you can't - the only option they give is to change to another bank account or close your eBay account. Top quality customer service that is.

Ebay are duplicitous cunts when it comes to this as all the blurb makes out you can delete your bank details if you decide to cease selling - this is in fact NOT TRUE - you either have to change the bank details to another checkable bank account or delete your entire eBay account and start over.

Their own customer forums are full of pissed off folk who've been hoodwinked into having their details held hostage over their crappy practice.

Erm, the old way was the option of bank details OR Paypal. eBay to the detriment of selling customers decided to drop Paypal once they'd sold it off. It also means they can turn you over if a buyer plays silly fuckers - then disputes the sale - they win your gear and keep the money, you are doubly out of pocket.

You can choose to be blaise with your bank details if you want - but I'd rather the choice to be able to delete them off a companies servers when I want - not to be told be them to effectively duck off you can't - the only option they give is to change to another bank account or close your eBay account. Top quality customer service that is.

Ebay are duplicitous cunts when it comes to this as all the blurb makes out you can delete your bank details if you decide to cease selling - this is in fact NOT TRUE - you either have to change the bank details to another checkable bank account or delete your entire eBay account and start over.

Their own customer forums are full of pissed off folk who've been hoodwinked into having their details held hostage over their crappy practice.
So the fact the gas company can take thousands out of your account with the slip of a finger don’t bother you. But the fact you might have to refund someone for your old tit does 👀

So the fact the gas company can take thousands out of your account with the slip of a finger don’t bother you. But the fact you might have to refund someone for your old tit does 👀
No, the gas company will allow you to delete your banking details albeit with a phonecall or two and offer other ways to settle bills - eBay don't, and point blank refuse to allow other methods for selling such as Paypal which was used for years, decades in fact.

Its why they are on the downward spiral. I know several firms who used to do loads of online selling via eBay and they've slowly whittled it down to almost nothing because of this and the spiralling fees being taken.

No, the gas company will allow you to delete your banking details albeit with a phonecall or two and offer other ways to settle bills - eBay don't, and point blank refuse to allow other methods for selling such as Paypal which was used for years, decades in fact.

Its why they are on the downward spiral. I know several firms who used to do loads of online selling via eBay and they've slowly whittled it down to almost nothing because of this and the spiralling fees being taken.
I think your brain cell has gone on holiday

• Haha
Ah resorting to personal insults. Keep it classy!

I was merely offering over some advice for folk who maybe pondering selling on eBay and were not aware of the situation.

I won't bother in future as the eBay PR team are out in force here. I'll stick to lighter more friendly areas of Tattle like the Megan/Harry threads. 🤣

• Haha
At the end of the day @Pontyslapper you don’t have to sell on eBay. Don’t like their practices, don’t use them.

I agree that losing PayPal was a mistake but it was their choice.

You will always take a risk selling your old stuff on these platforms, Vinted are unhinged. But them storing my bank details and shock horror only letting me remove them if I put new ones in really isn’t an issue.

@JoeBloggs Completely get that - only time I do sell on eBay is few and far between now - usually stuff that needs a wider audience than Marketplace as was the case with the most recent item I sold. It even took a few months on ebay to shift.

The chopping of Paypal from the selling side has put a load of folks off - I know the father in law for one, liked the 'added security' feel of Paypal when selling and point blank refuses to give his bank details to eBay - not because he's a foil hatter, just because he really doesn't like the fact that they could dip your bank account without so much as a bye or leave for a dispute even when you're in the right.

Funnily enough, it was a client's mum having a dodgy dispute against her that flagged it up for me - she had over a grand sucked from her account by eBay over a dispute - the woman had the bought stuff, picked it up, used it for a few weeks and had her money refunded - eBay were tit - it took solicitors and local MP getting involved to reverse everything and to get eBay to release the money back and a whole other level of shenanigans to get the item back.

I do have an issue with the duplicitious nature of how eBay make out you can 'undetail' your bank details to go back to just being a buyer, yet you actually cannot. The eBay help forums are full of upset folk - ebay just turn a blind eye to it all, in fact they say 'they are working on it', when they clearly are not.

The stories I've read on here about Vinted mean I'm stopping well clear of that crazy place :ROFLMAO:.

Ah resorting to personal insults. Keep it classy!

I was merely offering over some advice for folk who maybe pondering selling on eBay and were not aware of the situation.

I won't bother in future as the eBay PR team are out in force here. I'll stick to lighter more friendly areas of Tattle like the Megan/Harry threads. 🤣
Listen I’m entitled to think that. It’s my opinion. Just like your conspiracy about ebay