All things eBay - Selling, Buying & Listing

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey I thought I would start this thread. I know the “Selling on Vinted vs Depop” is helpful, but this will be mainly for eBay.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've been selling on ebay for around 7 years now and have made good money. You get occasional idiots making an offer way less than the asking price, many timewasters where they bid and don't bother paying.
The latest was i sold some designer boots and buyer wasn't home on the 4 attempts the courier tried to deliver. The parcel was supposed to be returned to me but was held at the customers local depot. The buyer had contacted ebay asking me to send a refund. I refused until the item was returned. Good old EVRI held onto my parcel until i contacted them and give them their due they found the parcel and re delivered it, luckily the buyer was home yet they still chased for their refund. I supply all buyers with a tracking number so EBAY could see that the item had been safely delivered and they ruled in my favour and the case was closed and i got my money after waiting a month for it.
There's been another time where i sold a lovely Monsoon dress and the customer contacted me 8 days after they received it to say it needed dry cleaning as there was a mark and demanded I pay for the costs. I refused and told her to put it in washing machine - she wouldn't. Dress was worn for a few hours and was in immaculate condition. Ebay sided with her and when i received dress back it was covered in fake tan. So customer used it for her granddaughter and wanted a free dress. Luckily i washed it and re sold it. Some people really want things for free.

Reactions: 10
I've been selling on ebay for around 7 years now and have made good money. You get occasional idiots making an offer way less than the asking price, many timewasters where they bid and don't bother paying.
The latest was i sold some designer boots and buyer wasn't home on the 4 attempts the courier tried to deliver. The parcel was supposed to be returned to me but was held at the customers local depot. The buyer had contacted ebay asking me to send a refund. I refused until the item was returned. Good old EVRI held onto my parcel until i contacted them and give them their due they found the parcel and re delivered it, luckily the buyer was home yet they still chased for their refund. I supply all buyers with a tracking number so EBAY could see that the item had been safely delivered and they ruled in my favour and the case was closed and i got my money after waiting a month for it.
There's been another time where i sold a lovely Monsoon dress and the customer contacted me 8 days after they received it to say it needed dry cleaning as there was a mark and demanded I pay for the costs. I refused and told her to put it in washing machine - she wouldn't. Dress was worn for a few hours and was in immaculate condition. Ebay sided with her and when i received dress back it was covered in fake tan. So customer used it for her granddaughter and wanted a free dress. Luckily i washed it and re sold it. Some people really want things for free.
You aren’t wrong! I think people are getting more cheeky. Facebook marketplace is the worst - you have an item going for free and they want you to deliver it too 🤣

It’s good when eBay sides with the buyer (as you know if you’ve been selling for a while they used to ALWAYS side with the customer!) Sorry to hear about the Moonson dress incident I always believe that karma will get people like that back! ✨

Reactions: 5
You aren’t wrong! I think people are getting more cheeky. Facebook marketplace is the worst - you have an item going for free and they want you to deliver it too 🤣

It’s good when eBay sides with the buyer (as you know if you’ve been selling for a while they used to ALWAYS side with the customer!) Sorry to hear about the Moonson dress incident I always believe that karma will get people like that back! ✨
I've even had offers of £1 less than asking price.....im like why not just offer full price - to be fair i did reject it 🤭. Yeah for a while EBAY used to side with customer which made me angry and i wasn't holding much hope of them backing me on my latest issue - but they did.
I've sold a car on ebay too but told customer to pay cash rather than through ebay else the fees will be high for me. Some fool also wanted to buy a car i was selling and was travelling from Wales and wanted to meet half way to view the car. I told him where to go, as wasn't prepared to travel then not being able to get home if they did buy it but had a feeling they would be a timewaster and chances are they wouldnt turn up.
Overall EBAY are a good selling site and have made some money and especially at times like this it does come in very handy.

I've been selling on Ebay for years as well but have found the best time is around Oct - Dec, so I only tend to sell in those months nowadays. Ebay are a lot better now at siding with the Seller. I have had a few negative feedbacks removed (which were definitely unwarranted).

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm a buyer, not a seller. I'd love to know what annoys you most about buyers - apart from the non payers of course!
What irritates me beyond measure are the sellers who are signed up to that rip off global shipping program and haven't a clue how it works. And do they honestly think all their overseas buyers live together in a mailcentre in the Midlands???
Also those who have incomplete information on their listing so you have to ask for measurements only to be told "I'm not at home right now, I'll do it tonight" and they never do.
I'd love to hear what you all think !

Reactions: 1
My father also sells on Ebay. He doesn't do offers just buy it now mainly. The run up to Christmas is the busiest.

Issues he's had:

-One person who ordered two items which he posted together in the same box. Claimed one did not arrive. So asked for a refund. He couldn't prove he sent both.
-Someone who bought something from him, but asked for a refund and sent a damaged version of the item instead of the one my father sent back.

You should always get proof of postage even if it's a small thing.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
I have been selling on ebay for years, it kept me a float during Covid and I was making £100-200 a week.

Things have slowed down massively imo and I have reduced my items to only a few. I will get back on it soon for some extra cash but when I get a message it fills me with too much dread even though I have had about 2-3 really bad customers demanding all sorts. Ebay used to always side with the buyer so I think they think it is an easy target. One woman left me a great review, then claimed the item was damaged, when I pointed out her review and she was lying either way she shut up.

EBay isn’t letting me list an olaplex no3 because of some ingredient but other people have it listed. Does anyone know how I can list it?

Hate when people bid, win the bid and then don’t pay. I also don’t like how you can’t transfer the money straight away into your bank account now either. Takes a good few days for me to finally get the money

Reactions: 4
Hate when people bid, win the bid and then don’t pay. I also don’t like how you can’t transfer the money straight away into your bank account now either. Takes a good few days for me to finally get the money
I’ve not sold anything since it switched from PayPal.

Sold my first thing on Ebay in ages today and wtf the fees?! It's an item that got automatically relisted a few times, I'm sure the fees were not 12.8% when I first listed it 😂🤦‍♀️

Sold my first thing on Ebay in ages today and wtf the fees?! It's an item that got automatically relisted a few times, I'm sure the fees were not 12.8% when I first listed it 😂🤦‍♀️
Ebays fees are hidious now, 15% easily. I only list on a 70% off fees weekend and only list for free.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I absolutely love eBay and buy and sell on there every week - I have a one in, one out rule so it just feels like a sustainable way to keep my wardrobe updated haha. My biggest tip as a seller is to buy packing bags in bulk in advance - it doesn't cost much at all and will keep your P&P lower, enticing more buyers :)

Ebays fees are hidious now, 15% easily. I only list on a 70% off fees weekend and only list for free.
Oh thank you, I will keep an eye out for the 70% off fees weekend. I do get the free listings at least.

They're holding onto my money until the 24th October too, I'm incensed! Gumtree cash in hand on collection is so much easier 🤦‍♀️

I put a very well conditioned phone on Ebay a few days ago. One instantly sent me an offer £50 less than what I asked for and another made an offer £10 under what I asked for, I accepted the offer and then he messaged me to say he's very sorry but his wife didn't want it now so I had to go through the faf of cancelling the order and then relisting it. I would prefer it if people used their heads and didn't put in an offer until they 100% know they want it. Don't even get me started on Facebook marketplace, that's even worse. The amount of time wasters on there is unreal.

Reactions: 4
I've got a few things listed on ebay and there's no interest in them . The Royal Mail strikes probably aren't helping either.

• Sad
I’m having to refund someone as they’re saying the item I sent out never got delivered. I have the receipt still to prove it how ever eBay was on their side because the receipt didn’t have tracking number 🤦🏼‍♀️ they kept saying talk it out with the buyer how ever buyer was ignoring my messages after they sent the one saying they’ve not received it. Never selling on there again 🥲

• Sad
I’m having to refund someone as they’re saying the item I sent out never got delivered. I have the receipt still to prove it how ever eBay was on their side because the receipt didn’t have tracking number 🤦🏼‍♀️ they kept saying talk it out with the buyer how ever buyer was ignoring my messages after they sent the one saying they’ve not received it. Never selling on there again 🥲
Can you make a claim with the courier? If their tracking says delivered then upload that to the case.