Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was watching his live with Sheen and Elizabeth the other day and he was so weird and annoying, but I loved both the girls. I'm not sure why he got so pissed half way through the live ? Haven't watched a lot of videos of Elizabeth or Sheen(she has a podcast I think) but they seem so sweet and talented girls. Did anyone else also watch it, I think he also asked them to rate him on empathy at one point but I was falling asleep XD
IDK about any recent live stream with them but this reminded me that Ali appeared on Sheen's podcast months back (when i used to follow him). Sheen's podcast focusses on women empowerment and topics related to that (never listened to it either so IDK how it is) but I remember her posting the thumbnail on her Instagram and most of the comments stated that Ali was quite ignorant about this aspect and he should also educate himself on the matter. I still do not wanna judge based on the comments but when majority of the comments were about this, I agree wholeheartedly. learning about productivity and stoicism is fine but there are other serious matters in the world he should also focus on. instead of reading 100 books about productivity (which spews the same facts over and over again in different ways), he should also read about other stuff like feminism, lgbtq, race, etc.

Reactions: 3
IDK about any recent live stream with them but this reminded me that Ali appeared on Sheen's podcast months back (when i used to follow him). Sheen's podcast focusses on women empowerment and topics related to that (never listened to it either so IDK how it is) but I remember her posting the thumbnail on her Instagram and most of the comments stated that Ali was quite ignorant about this aspect and he should also educate himself on the matter. I still do not wanna judge based on the comments but when majority of the comments were about this, I agree wholeheartedly. learning about productivity and stoicism is fine but there are other serious matters in the world he should also focus on. instead of reading 100 books about productivity (which spews the same facts over and over again in different ways), he should also read about other stuff like feminism, lgbtq, race, etc.
I mean he's read quite a lot about race as far as I am aware and admits to coming from a place where he wasn't particularly educated about it and his privilege in being a straight male. Most of the negative comments on his video about learning about race were some of his followers complaining about his definition of racism including a power dynamic and stuff. I really don't think he's massively sexist or anything in the way people on this thread are making him out to be. I don't think Sheen or Molly would be friends with someone sexist and that most of the comments people pick him up on as 'incel terminology' are said self deprecatingly. To me something like 'increase my sexual marketplace value' is obviously self deprecation. In terms of dating I think he's just trying to navigate largely unfamiliar territory and so is trying to be efficient and thorough about it. The whole 'go with the flow' thing and let a relationship just happen is a nice idea but, particularly during a pandemic, isn't really going to happen so he's making an effort.

I mean he's read quite a lot about race as far as I am aware and admits to coming from a place where he wasn't particularly educated about it and his privilege in being a straight male. Most of the negative comments on his video about learning about race were some of his followers complaining about his definition of racism including a power dynamic and stuff. I really don't think he's massively sexist or anything in the way people on this thread are making him out to be. I don't think Sheen or Molly would be friends with someone sexist and that most of the comments people pick him up on as 'incel terminology' are said self deprecatingly. To me something like 'increase my sexual marketplace value' is obviously self deprecation. In terms of dating I think he's just trying to navigate largely unfamiliar territory and so is trying to be efficient and thorough about it. The whole 'go with the flow' thing and let a relationship just happen is a nice idea but, particularly during a pandemic, isn't really going to happen so he's making an effort.
The race video was around the time when everyone was making it and so, IDK how much he actually read. So, I am going to skip that part. My statement was from a general POV. The incel stuff is something I am not sure about so IDK about that either.

"...as I am aware and admits to coming from a place where he wasn't particularly educated about it and his privilege in being a straight male."
I do give him the benefit of doubt on that but frankly speaking, I find it to be a poor excuse when someone says that they do not know much about topics like these just because they weren't previously educated. Nowadays, there are tons of information floating around and for someone like him, it is fairly accessible. there is truly no excuse for ignorance regarding mainstream/prevalent topics like these in today's day and age.

Reactions: 1
Ngl, liking that particular Tweet about women was sus.

I won't get into much details but some here seem to be really unaware on how incel and TRP works and is towards women.
Him following those accounts on Twitter and reading their books on his goodreads profile is already very self-explanatory. While I won't list them but feel free to check the accounts (the blocked ones) mentioned in screenshots of my first reply here on twitter.

It's very much likely that Sheen and Elizabeth are unaware about this just like some of you here. Plus it's very easy to maintain a mask with others as you don't want to risk ruining your reputation anyway but behind the scenes it's totally different story.

Edit: Grammer

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I really don’t understand all this stuff that’s being mentioned? I’ve tried to google and I just don’t get it?

The Red Pill

Incels

On Rollo, who wrote a book early on in the red pill movement and is seen as a leader within it and the whole manosphere

It is concerning that Ali is following these sorts of Twitter accounts and using similar language to them about dating as if it’s a formula and you win a prize -a woman - by solving it. This sort of stuff is related to all that crappy pick up artist bs from the early 2000s too. All of it inherently sees women as objects for sexual gratification and/or housekeeping. It’s grim.

• Sick
Reactions: 21
I won't get into much details but some here seem to be really unaware on how incel and TRP works and is towards women.
Him following those accounts on Twitter and reading their books on his goodreads profile is already very self-explanatory. While I won't list them but feel free to check the accounts (the blocked ones) mentioned in screenshots of my first reply here on twitter.

It's very much likely that Sheen and Elizabeth are unaware about this just like some of you here. Plus it's very easy to maintain a mask with others as you don't want to risk ruining your reputation anyway but behind the scenes it's totally different story.
Idk, it's dodgy but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on liking the tweet and reading the books. The tweet doesn't seem that bad, I know a few girls who are like that and it is very hypocritical. That isn't so much an incel thing but a general (still misogynistic) thing that's quite pervasive in our culture. Following the accounts not so much. I think he's more taken the first step down the path of incel-dom if that makes sense rather than being full on incel. If you look at the rest of his goodreads he's been reading lots of books about dating (im assuming with a variety of good and bad advice) and it could just be part of his research. Kinda reminds me of when I made a similar mistake as a young lesbian and subbed to a transphobic reddit, agreed with some of the opinions before realising yeesh, that's terfy. Same with reading a book advising about being a gay teen in that suddenly went full on transphobic halfway through. I took the first step down the road to being a terf before pulling back and taking a long hard look at myself and I'm hoping that'll happen with him.
I'm definitely biased cause I like him as a person and really like his podcast with his brother and how they analyse topics. I find it hard to believe that someone who is clearly intelligent and quite analytical about things can't see the contradictory ideas in the ideology and that book. I was reading some quotes and one said that women who don't have sex with you are withholding it to manipulate you and the one right below that was that women who put out straight away can't be trusted. Obviously intelligent people do get drawn in by these ideas tho, it can be quite enticing to think that you're not doing very well (be that in dating or something else) because there's some kind of system working against you. Also he does seem to have genuine friendships with women and I might be being very naive here but I hope with so many women in his life (mum, sisters, friends) he must know that we aren't soulless vampires only interested in money, status and chads. It's hard to hate a group of people and hold weird, untrue concepts about them when you know and like individuals who are part of that group.
I know I'm leghumping here but I'm going to wait until he reviews the books on goodreads or talks about them in the podcast. If he says it's a bunch of bollocks great, if he agrees with them I'm unsubscribing.

You don’t think this is all for his new book?
Nah, that's more productivity and stuff. I hope he's just doing lots of wide reading to explore dating and relationships and a couple of dodgy sources have fallen into the net. Or maybe it's for a podcast episode, I know he said he read a book advising women on how to get men and they were thinking about making an episode analysing whether they thought it'd work or not and getting a female friend on to comment. Maybe they're doing one on a popular dating advice book for women and then one on a popular dating advice book for men?

You don’t need to follow the pages to do research though? I understand wanting to give Ali the benefit of the doubt but I do think it would be worth him addressing it. This stuff isn’t harmless.

Reactions: 9
You don’t need to follow the pages to do research though? I understand wanting to give Ali the benefit of the doubt but I do think it would be worth him addressing it. This stuff isn’t harmless.
Yeah I agree. I think he's a good guy, I'd really hate it if he's getting sucked into this ideology. He talks about slut shaming, unfair power dynamics etc very eloquently in the podcast, so I hope this isn't what he really thinks.

Reactions: 3
I used to be subscribed to Ali back when he was still at Cambridge, I thought that he was just a really knowledgeable passionate guy who loved medicine and knew some great tips about the medicine application process and studying. But over the past two years.... I just can't stand his content. Not just the fact that his company charges hundreds of pounds for courses that directly contribute to the classism in the medicine application process but oof... His most recent video? Hit the nail on the head.

The fact that he indirectly said; "a doctor in the NHS will only ever save around 8 lives in their lifetime and I can save more by donating at least £24,000 to this charity, hence why I wanted to stay on YouTube" just really disgusted me. I don't understand why if he wants to stay on YouTube and do his business thing why he has to lowkey attack medicine? Why does he have to use these BS reasons to justify why he wants to do something he's passionate about? Just own up to it! Also, the fact that money seems to be a huge thing in his life; showing that he has it, is worth it, while that's not a bad thing; why can't he just own who he is. I just couldn't believe that he tried to use the fact that because more people watch his YouTube videos than however many he may or may not be able to help on the wards as a reason why being a doctor wasn't worth it to him.

Not just that but also all that stuff about "oh, but there's locums and the hospitals will always find someone to fill the gap". Dude, just own what you did. The whole country knew that the NHS was struggling. It was an unprecedented pandemic.

I'm just so disappointed in someone that I had previously perceived as quite genuine.
The comment about a doctor *only* saving 8 lives (this sounds difficult to measure in any meaningful way unless we think of 'saving lives' WRT emergency medicine/surgery etc, because most specialties - psychiatry, dermatology, obstetrics come to mind as less obvious examples (remember reading a post from an obstetrician saying it's one of the toughest specialties because there's often an expectation that childbirth will go according to plan in a way that isn't present in other fields) - involve saving lives but often in a much more gradual way) is particularly ironic given that iirc he captioned a lot of Instagram posts with #savinglives etc when he was a student/F1

Reactions: 6
The comment about a doctor *only* saving 8 lives (this sounds difficult to measure in any meaningful way unless we think of 'saving lives' WRT emergency medicine/surgery etc, because most specialties - psychiatry, dermatology, obstetrics come to mind as less obvious examples (remember reading a post from an obstetrician saying it's one of the toughest specialties because there's often an expectation that childbirth will go according to plan in a way that isn't present in other fields) - involve saving lives but often in a much more gradual way) is particularly ironic given that iirc he captioned a lot of Instagram posts with #savinglives etc when he was a student/F1
His new video about going back to Medicine just highlighted his 'issues'. He doesn't want to be a 'cog in a wheel', he wouldn't be 'special' as just another doctor.

That isn't what public service is*. It isn't about you, it's about what you can do for other people, and trying to make your corner of the world a better place through hard work and acts of decency. You don't get to be a 'star'.

It just underlined that he either doesn't believe in what he is doing, or has no real sense of self.

(*Source: 20 years experience of running secondary schools in the most deprived areas of England).

Reactions: 17
Simply speaking in public healthcare system you are not in the centre of attention - patients are. He is really looking for attention and that feeling "I am the star here".

Though, he's current content is so cheap. "In 30 days I learned how to rap".
Seriously this is the guy I'd subscribed and who gave good advises about note taking and using iPad as a learning tool?

Reactions: 11
Simply speaking in public healthcare system you are not in the centre of attention - patients are. He is really looking for attention and that feeling "I am the star here".

Though, he's current content is so cheap. "In 30 days I learned how to rap".
Seriously this is the guy I'd subscribed and who gave good advises about note taking and using iPad as a learning tool?
I find this so funny because he’s one of the reasons I got an ipad for uni and his spaced repetition videos were good!

But his attitude now is just shambolic. I can’t imagine a doctor who went through at least seven years of training in Ali’s case who can straight faced say that they quantify their work via “lives saved”. There’s so many nuanced things that doctors do to improve the quality of life for patients how does a Cambridge educated doctor not think of that? Did he not mention this stuff during his interviews/PS??

Reactions: 11
Idk, it's dodgy but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on liking the tweet and reading the books. The tweet doesn't seem that bad, I know a few girls who are like that and it is very hypocritical. That isn't so much an incel thing but a general (still misogynistic) thing that's quite pervasive in our culture
" that tweet doesn't seem that bad" Except the screenshot is literally indication of incel behaviour?
Cis women aren't objects who are obligated or be forced to be with men they don't find attractive,wtf does that has to do with "equal oppurtunity?" or women advocating for treating everyone well in society? It sounds horribly wrong akin to slavery.

Yes you're very much biased over here, in fact I thought in my previous post that you most probably are him hiding behind a fake account.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6