Advice on getting new puppy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hmmm I'm not worried about my clothes but I really dont want my kids to be negatively affected đŸ€”
One of our puppy buyers had problems with their puppy and children where she would chase the girls/steals socks etc when they were getting ready for school. They got a dog trainer who said it’s not the puppy but the children as they would run around screaming, playing with her at the weekends then when it was time to get ready for school she would still think they were playing. When he said to the girls they need to be calm around the puppy at all times, her behaviour completely changed and they’ve had her 8 years without any problems.

The key thing is to explain to children that the puppy isn’t a toy and they need to set boundaries and be calm

Reactions: 1
Yep I know which health tests the parents need to have but I will definitely check what the paper should be like as I was wondering how to spot fakes. I haven't chosen a breed because its trendy I'm not that shallow.

Hmmm I'm not worried about my clothes but I really dont want my kids to be negatively affected đŸ€”
Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting you are shallow. I think a lot of people get sucked into the ‘poo’ crosses because of the talk around them being the ‘ideal’ hybrid of their mix and also the ‘hypoallergenic’, no shed thing (rubbish, they are low shed and less likely to cause allergies but they are not truly ‘hypoallergenic’ or non shedding). Plus, obviously they are very cute. They don’t realise that as someone further upthread said, they are just as likely to inherit the ‘negative’ aspects of their breed/s traits, as the positive. The risk increases if they are bred by poor breeders who either don’t know enough about what they are doing, or don’t care.

Terriers are pretty robust, health-wise but there are health checks. There are a few health tested Border litters on Champdogs at the moment. 🙂

• Heart
One of our puppy buyers had problems with their puppy and children where she would chase the girls/steals socks etc when they were getting ready for school. They got a dog trainer who said it’s not the puppy but the children as they would run around screaming, playing with her at the weekends then when it was time to get ready for school she would still think they were playing. When he said to the girls they need to be calm around the puppy at all times, her behaviour completely changed and they’ve had her 8 years without any problems.

The key thing is to explain to children that the puppy isn’t a toy and they need to set boundaries and be calm
Yeah I've taught them so far: to stroke a dog from collar to tail, that if a puppy nips to turn their backs and cross their arms so basically ignoring it and never touch a dog who is asleep or eating. It's my 9 year old I'd be worried about as she probably wouldn't follow my advice and is actually a cat person.

Yeah I've taught them so far: to stroke a dog from collar to tail, that if a puppy nips to turn their backs and cross their arms so basically ignoring it and never touch a dog who is asleep or eating. It's my 9 year old I'd be worried about as she probably wouldn't follow my advice and is actually a cat person.
Don’t worry a dog will convert her 😉

• Haha
Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting you are shallow. I think a lot of people get sucked into the ‘poo’ crosses because of the talk around them being the ‘ideal’ hybrid of their mix and also the ‘hypoallergenic’, no shed thing (rubbish, they are low shed and less likely to cause allergies but they are not truly ‘hypoallergenic’ or non shedding). Plus, obviously they are very cute. They don’t realise that as someone further upthread said, they are just as likely to inherit the ‘negative’ aspects of their breed/s traits, as the positive. The risk increases if they are bred by poor breeders who either don’t know enough about what they are doing, or don’t care.

Terriers are pretty robust, health-wise but there are health checks. There are a few health tested Border litters on Champdogs at the moment. 🙂
Hey dont worry, I know a lot of people are shallow when it comes to breeds. I used to have a new forest pony and was very looked down on my other girls at the stables but i loved her. Borders are my absolute favourite, I've just heard that they are hard to train from fellow members in the border terrier group I'm in- but I'm not sure if that's true.

• Heart
I don’t know about the trainability/stubbornness first hand but from what I’ve read/heard terriers can be stubborn little beggars 😂

I don’t know about the trainability/stubbornness first hand but from what I’ve read/heard terriers can be stubborn little beggars 😂
Yep Ive just been on champdogs and fell in love with the first listing 😂 it's a good website that is

Yep Ive just been on champdogs and fell in love with the first listing 😂 it's a good website that is
It is pretty reliable but make sure you double check everything the breeder tells you. Give them a ring and have a chat, ask them questions. Make sure you see all the health paperwork (some of the test results can be verified online with the Kennel Club). Google the breeder, are they involved in the dog world? Are there good mentions? Bad mentions? Street view/google maps the property too, big sheds/outbuildings on the property are a red flag for me.

For when you finally choose your pup, this website is very helpful. I used it when I got my westie, alongside his puppy training classes
http://www.thepuppyplan.com/ It gives a week by week plan of how to introduce them to new experiences.
Good luck with your doggo :)

Reactions: 2
Yep I know which health tests the parents need to have but I will definitely check what the paper should be like as I was wondering how to spot fakes. I haven't chosen a breed because its trendy I'm not that shallow.

If it’s a cross it won’t be KC registered and KC registration alone isn’t a sign of a good breeder as anyone can register - they actually have a yearly affix that people can use if they don’t have their own kennel. E.g. last years was Kenaiteen, not sure what this years is but it will start with Ken

If it’s a cross it won’t be KC registered and KC registration alone isn’t a sign of a good breeder as anyone can register - they actually have a yearly affix that people can use if they don’t have their own kennel. E.g. last years was Kenaiteen, not sure what this years is but it will start with Ken
Yes, the health tests will only be traceable through Kennel Club if the tested dog is a recognised registered pedigree (not a cross) and the health tests are part of a recognised scheme (eg BVA/KC hip/elbow scoring). This might be possible if it’s a 1st generation (F1) cross you’re buying (eg pedigree parents being bred to produce a cross litter, rather than 2x cross parents being mates to produce a cross litter).

Though, I’d question why a quality pedigree dog (or dogs) were being crossed in the first place. By ‘quality’, I mean one with very good health scores, temperament and conformation for their breed. Why would a quality, ethical breeder (who generally are seeking to improve the health and temperament of their own breed) choose to cross that out rather than choose a similarly strong mate within their breed to continue to improve the pedigree?

If you like cockapoos, then look at getting a miniature poodle from an approved KC breeder. They are very intelligent and loving and you can clip them whichever way you like - they don't have to be in a show clip. There is a reason that there are so many poodle crosses now, because of the supposed hypoallergenic factor, but there is no guarantee that any puppies will have a poodle coat. You will have to budget for regular grooming for any dog with a poodle, doodle oodle coat.

Yes, the health tests will only be traceable through Kennel Club if the tested dog is a recognised registered pedigree (not a cross) and the health tests are part of a recognised scheme (eg BVA/KC hip/elbow scoring). This might be possible if it’s a 1st generation (F1) cross you’re buying (eg pedigree parents being bred to produce a cross litter, rather than 2x cross parents being mates to produce a cross litter).

Though, I’d question why a quality pedigree dog (or dogs) were being crossed in the first place. By ‘quality’, I mean one with very good health scores, temperament and conformation for their breed. Why would a quality, ethical breeder (who generally are seeking to improve the health and temperament of their own breed) choose to cross that out rather than choose a similarly strong mate within their breed to continue to improve the pedigree?
Fully agree, I’m not into cross breeds.
People have been trying to get Labradoodles to be a recognised breed, personally I think they’re an abomination and most in the UK can be traced back to an epileptic dog brought in from Australia (sorry doodle lovers)

Fully agree, I’m not into cross breeds.
People have been trying to get Labradoodles to be a recognised breed, personally I think they’re an abomination and most in the UK can be traced back to an epileptic dog brought in from Australia (sorry doodle lovers)
They are an unpredictable cross. Never know how a first cross will go. I’ve seen gigantic ones, with labs crossed with a standard poodle that have really bizarre coats, and in my opinion are frankly too big and uncontrollable for the average person.

If you like cockapoos, then look at getting a miniature poodle from an approved KC breeder. They are very intelligent and loving and you can clip them whichever way you like - they don't have to be in a show clip. There is a reason that there are so many poodle crosses now, because of the supposed hypoallergenic factor, but there is no guarantee that any puppies will have a poodle coat. You will have to budget for regular grooming for any dog with a poodle, doodle oodle coat.
My mums friend has a ”cocker-poo” but you wouldn’t be able to pick it out from a line-up of spaniels.

My mums friend has a ”cocker-poo” but you wouldn’t be able to pick it out from a line-up of spaniels.

I've just visited a 9 week old cockapoo pup. Everything was like clockwork..breeder asked me lots of questions which felt like a grilling but its fine, pups mum was lovely I could have take her home lol. But the pup smelt like it had been sprayed with something scented - is that something to worry about?