Advice on getting new puppy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just visited a 9 week old cockapoo pup. Everything was like clockwork..breeder asked me lots of questions which felt like a grilling but its fine, pups mum was lovely I could have take her home lol. But the pup smelt like it had been sprayed with something scented - is that something to worry about?
Could it have been shampoo? Maybe it’s had a bath? X

Yes I think it was. But I'm glad you said it too, you know when you want someone else to agree. I'm waiting to decide whether to put down a deposit xx
Puppies get into all sorts of dirt/wee etc, i forever had to bath my cockapoo when he was tiny 🙈 they can get smelly especially if they have a longer less curly coat x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I pick up my first puppy tomorrow! He’s a little Bichon Frise, some of these tips are really helpful.

is there any toys/chews that anyone would highly recommend?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I pick up my first puppy tomorrow! He’s a little Bichon Frise, some of these tips are really helpful.

is there any toys/chews that anyone would highly recommend?
A kong, keeps them entertained and helps their teeth :) I use it with my dog every time we leave the house, stops her from realising we have gone x

This thread is very helpful. Glad I’ve found it.
I know there’s lots of mixed opinions on mixed breeds but we have recently reserved a cockerpoo. He is 3 weeks old, so we will collect him in 8 weeks. We did our research & know the breeder to be very professional. We have a friend who has got her dog from the same breeder so she came highly recommended.
I know it will be hard work in the beginning but thinking long term, I think our dog will be the perfect addition to our family.
thanks to all who have shared your knowledge regarding training.

• Heart
Thank you!

I’ve heard about the Kong toys I didn’t know if they were a bit of a fad or not but I’ll definitely pick one up this afternoon 😃
I thought they may be a fad too until I got her one. Just find awkward things to put in there to keep them busy, mash is a good one x

Did you ask about health tests the puppy’s parents had? Also, proof. Why didn’t you ask what the smell was?

Yes I saw all the paperwork for the health tests, I dont know why I didn't ask.
What health tests did you see? Also, how do you know it was for the parents of the puppy? I would have asked why was she breeding this cross? Was it a first cross? Who was the mother?

Reactions: 1
What health tests did you see? Also, how do you know it was for the parents of the puppy? I would have asked why was she breeding this cross? Was it a first cross? Who was the mother?
The father was a stud dog. I have owners details. Its a first cross, I saw mum she was a show cocker. I didn't ask why she was breeding this cross. The health tests were dm ,/pra/prcd/NEwS/vWD1.

Sorry for blunt replies just on school run x

So after the great advice I received on another post I thought I would ask about these dogs!
I have done my research trust me but if anyone on here has one I would love to hear your honest opinion on them.

All my kids are now school age and we do have 3 older other dogs. They are getting on a bit and aren’t keen on the long walks I do. I am home all day so they won’t be left alone for long.

Anyway these dogs seem to get bad press a lot but from what I’ve researched they may be the best dog for me. Love a walk but are lazy as well, love kids and a fuss. They really seem ideal but I can’t get past what I remember of them from growing up and the people that owned them made me terrified of them. I know it’s who owns a dog that makes a dog but I really would love some honest opinions on the breed before I take the plunge. Thanks guys xx

I’ve grown up around them and had several myself (from puppy and rescued). I’ll start with the one I had from a puppy. She was amazing to say the least. Toilet trained extremely quickly with no fuss, training took a bit longer because she was quite strong willed, however I’ve known other puppies to just ‘get it’. Always got along with other dogs and we introduced a kitten, rabbit and hamster into the mix and within a day or 2 she was completely fine with all. Never aggressive towards anyone or anything, only barked to scare the birds away 🤣 Extremely loyal, more to towards me as her owner but also other family. Health wise no issues (I know genetics can play a part). In her life we had her at the vet maybe 4-5 times, when she was spayed, 2 puppy vaccinations (I’ve never done boosters) having a few teeth out and for arthritis in her later years. We had her with us almost 14 years, she really mellowed around 8 and that’s when she spent more time relaxing instead of bouncing around everywhere.

Onto rescue staffies - I’ve fostered 3 and rescued 1. You will need a lot of time and patience if you plan to do it this way. Every single one I’ve had has come with issues and rightly so. Some have been surrendered and suffered major separation anxiety and some were ‘dog aggressive’ because of past abuse but totally fine in the house. It was like having 2 different dogs. You really need to know your stuff and be confident to help those kind of dogs. Having my staffie mentioned above helped one staffie we rescued. Wouldn’t recommend if you have children maybe under 10? I’m not a rescue but I know kids are like flies to tit around dogs.

Overall I don’t have a bad word to say. Maybe that’s because I’ve spent my whole life around them but I wouldn’t go for any another breed. They’re not bad dogs, they’re just sadly raised by all the wrong people.

• Heart
My sons just bought one (he was an abused rescue)
I admit my first reaction was ‘oh god-a staffie!i wouldn’t trust j (my son) to look after my pet carrot-what’s he gonna be like with a dog that’s pure muscle?what if the dog turns on him-with jaws like that it would kill him!’
Then I met him
He’s 4 stone (still a pup) of soppy/daft/loopy sweetness
He’s lazy,just lays about snoozing until his lead comes out and then he’s off!
Best dog ever to be fair
And they adore kids/humans (and in rocs case-other dogs
Watching him tumble around a field with a friends dog was just pure delight
I’d have one in a heartbeat if I could

• Heart