Adults colouring

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Amazon product

I have these, they don't bleed through pages but because they're water-based instead of alcohol-based the colour isn't as striking. They're still well worth the £20 though!

Reactions: 1
I got a colouring book just the other week, I try and do an hour a day.

Could only find felt tips at the time but I need to pick up pencils.

Amazon product

I have these, they don't bleed through pages but because they're water-based instead of alcohol-based the colour isn't as striking. They're still well worth the £20 though!
Thanks might try them, you cant get such a deep colour with pencils

I got a colouring book just the other week, I try and do an hour a day.

Could only find felt tips at the time but I need to pick up pencils.
I usually try an do at least 20mins a day if I can, just somthing to allow me to relax an forget about things, am intrested in the 30 day challange book that johanna basford has released as well

Reactions: 2
I've got a couple of adult colouring books. Love them. They really do work when I need to distract my brain, which is always too busy and loud and drives me mad.

I struggle with having so much to colour I can't get in the right mood for any of the images lol, does anyone ever feel that way, like you just want a certain image to colour an none of the ones you have is right

I used to use colouring pens but have personally found lately that pencils are best as they don't bleed on to the other pages and also you can shade in the colour as light or deep as you like with pencils

Reactions: 3
I used to use colouring pens but have personally found lately that pencils are best as they don't bleed on to the other pages and also you can shade in the colour as light or deep as you like with pencils
I'm still very new at this but when I use pencils they always come out looking scratchy, even if I'm being very gentle. Do you have any tips?

I'm still very new at this but when I use pencils they always come out looking scratchy, even if I'm being very gentle. Do you have any tips?
Maybe it's the type/quality of pencil you're using? I find slightly more expensive pencils are better, or better quality pencils. I bought some off whsmiths a couple of years ago and another set called prismacolour which I've had no issues with. Before then I started colouring with cheap pencils and, like you, find them scratchy and useless.

Keep the points as sharp as you can, somtimes it's down to paper quality, I find the cheaper paper has more bumps in the paper, you can't feel it but it's there so having sharp pencils will help the pigment get into those tiny little grooves an bumps, I do agree the more expensive pencils help especially if they are very heavily pigmented, my faber castells have a heavy pigment, but I have seen people use cheap range an it's fine, honestly its all on how much work you want to do with it, some take such a while of going over an over to get all the pigment covering the paper, also a blender pencil is great for helping cover the paper as well, you can buy faber castells on their own from most craft shops, I think hobby craft has them for like £1 odd each, so I'd invest in a white one, I use that to blend in my pencils not only for shading but to cover the paper an give it that smooth finish

Reactions: 4
I have a colouring app on my iPad and also have an Apple Pencil, so it’s nice and precise.

I tend to do a bit most nights whilst watching tv or if I’m sat for a bit during the day. I find it so therapeutic and relaxing, really helps you wind down.

Oooh I'm loving this thread! I started colouring on and off a few years ago and I find it helps me manage my anxiety when it's bad. Most of my books are crappy ones from B&M or the Poundshop apart from a couple of nicer ones I've been gifted. After reading all your posts here I might look into a better quality book and some good pencils for Xmas instead of my usual markers. Does anyone else flick between colouring several different pictures at once? So it takes me forever to actually finish one page.

Oooh I'm loving this thread! I started colouring on and off a few years ago and I find it helps me manage my anxiety when it's bad. Most of my books are crappy ones from B&M or the Poundshop apart from a couple of nicer ones I've been gifted. After reading all your posts here I might look into a better quality book and some good pencils for Xmas instead of my usual markers. Does anyone else flick between colouring several different pictures at once? So it takes me forever to actually finish one page.
B&ms have some of johanna basford books in, I find them to be really good quality books an I love her images in them

Also yes lol, I'll usually have like 8 or 9 going at once cause I'll start then not be in the mood for it so start another one, eventually they get done but it takes a while lol

Reactions: 3
B&ms have some of johanna basford books in, I find them to be really good quality books an I love her images in them

Also yes lol, I'll usually have like 8 or 9 going at once cause I'll start then not be in the mood for it so start another one, eventually they get done but it takes a while lol
Oh wow I didn't realise that, mine are all wee cheapo, not great quality ones, must keep an eye out next time I'm there.

I'm the same! And it might be months before I even make it back to the original one I started 😂

Oh wow I didn't realise that, mine are all wee cheapo, not great quality ones, must keep an eye out next time I'm there.

I'm the same! And it might be months before I even make it back to the original one I started 😂
Some stores have different ones, I think my town one had worlds of wonder and enchanted forest then I managed to get another two from a neighbouring town shop

Also some of the ones on amazon arnt too badly priced as well an are pretty good quality, I got a funny swear book that was like £3 pretty therapeutic colouring in some of those sayings 😂

Story - About 5 years ago we were on a River Cruise in Germany and this lady was doing colouring in when sat on the deck and I thought - why on earth are you doing that instead of looking at the scenery, what a waste of holiday time and money. When I spoke to her she said it was so therapuetic she got lost in it and forgot where she was. I kinda thought - oh dear, how sad.
Roll on to the beginning of Covid and we are in Spain in lockdown in a rented apartment where there is nothing of mine and we are allowed out for a walk for an hour a day and go into town and the only shop open is an Art shop so go in for something to look at. There were loads of Adult colouring books which triggered something in my mind and thought I might as well give it a go. Honestly it saved my sanity for the 2 months we were locked in there.
I bought a book called Mandalas De Oriente which is brilliant so now I look for Mandalas books wherever I go. My son can't believe I paid £25 for a set of pencils. I bought 2 tins of 12 from Aldi for £2.99 from Script which I like and someone recommended a box from B and M which I am going to look for tomorrow.

Story - About 5 years ago we were on a River Cruise in Germany and this lady was doing colouring in when sat on the deck and I thought - why on earth are you doing that instead of looking at the scenery, what a waste of holiday time and money. When I spoke to her she said it was so therapuetic she got lost in it and forgot where she was. I kinda thought - oh dear, how sad.
Roll on to the beginning of Covid and we are in Spain in lockdown in a rented apartment where there is nothing of mine and we are allowed out for a walk for an hour a day and go into town and the only shop open is an Art shop so go in for something to look at. There were loads of Adult colouring books which triggered something in my mind and thought I might as well give it a go. Honestly it saved my sanity for the 2 months we were locked in there.
I bought a book called Mandalas De Oriente which is brilliant so now I look for Mandalas books wherever I go. My son can't believe I paid £25 for a set of pencils. I bought 2 tins of 12 from Aldi for £2.99 from Script which I like and someone recommended a box from B and M which I am going to look for tomorrow.
I used to draw those, I've always loved colouring but when I hit teen age it was seen as a "child's hobby" an places only ever sold the kids books like the princesses or cars etc so I used to love those an colouring them in, I love we can now buy books with them, the popularity in adults colouring has been great because we now get so much choice in good books

Lol I hate to see what he would think of my pencils, I was almost £200 for them 😂😂

At the moment I'm really enjoying Kerby Rosanes' books, the art is beautiful in them. Worlds Within Worlds is probably my favourite

Amazon product
I absolutely love the images in them but all those tiny little details kind of feel a bit overwhelming for me, they are nice books though, they remind me of the morphia books

I used to draw those, I've always loved colouring but when I hit teen age it was seen as a "child's hobby" an places only ever sold the kids books like the princesses or cars etc so I used to love those an colouring them in, I love we can now buy books with them, the popularity in adults colouring has been great because we now get so much choice in good books

Lol I hate to see what he would think of my pencils, I was almost £200 for them 😂😂

I absolutely love the images in them but all those tiny little details kind of feel a bit overwhelming for me, they are nice books though, they remind me of the morphia books
I would pay £200 if I wanted them but I am still an amatuer - I have clothes in my wardrobe with tags on which I would spend on spencils and booksk now.

I got my pencils today 👏
Well, I think I got a result. I paid 89p for the pencils in a cheap shop. They came flat boxed but in a tin box ( the box was packed open).

Turns out they are Colvin & Co, watercolour pencils and are lush.

I am going back for more!