Influencer Industry

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm hopefull the whole influencer industry will pop in 2020. It's getting crazy, people with 40k followers are earning enough to support a whole family by being paid by brands to influence people to buy stuff they got for free.

Then to make enough you have to have such low standards and do ADs for anything even if it contradicts what you were flogging last week.

Maybe this could be used as a thread to collect news stories that mark the end or decline?

This advert is playing on the radio a lot:

"Radio - original influencer, with 36 million real followers"

Reactions: 50
I'm hopefull the whole influencer industry will pop in 2020. It's getting crazy, people with 40k followers are earning enough to support a whole family by being paid by brands to influence people to buy stuff they got for free. Then to make enough you have to have such low standards and do ADs for anything even if it contradicts what you were flogging last week.

Maybe this could be used as a thread to collect news stories that mark the end or decline.

This advert is playing on radio alot:
I really hope it is. Instagram is the new QVC and I am no longer able to be influenced. In fact,seeing the blatant consumerism and easy come, easy go attitude to “stuff” has the opposite effect on me now. I think it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and not cos I’m a jealous hater who can’t stand to see people getting paid to post on social media.

Reactions: 33
I really hope it is. Instagram is the new QVC and I am no longer able to be influenced. In fact,seeing the blatant consumerism and easy come, easy go attitude to “stuff” has the opposite effect on me now. I think it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and not cos I’m a jealous hater who can’t stand to see people getting paid to post on social media.
I think the end is nigh. In the past it was cheap advertising for brands. But people follow so many people and are so sceptical these days.

So brands are lucky to actually get into 5% of the followers of a person and of those small amount that actually see the ad who's going to be influenced? It's so competitive out there it should naturally go back to being a small amount of money for occasional posts for something that's a good fit. Not an ad every other day for anything

I hate stuff, clutters up your life and the joy is over very quickly.

Reactions: 22
I think the end is nigh. In the past it was cheap advertising for brands. But people follow so many people and are so sceptical these days.

So brands are lucky to actually get into 5% of the followers of a person and of those small amount that actually see the ad who's going to be influenced? It's so cometative out there it should naturally go back to being a small amount of money for occasional posts for something that's a good fit. Not an ad every other day for anything

I hate stuff, clutters up your life and the joy is over very quickly.
I went through a period when I was constantly buying make up and skincare when I first discovered beauty influencers...everything was always the “holy grail” and a must buy. Now I would rather go on consumer reviews and have realised I don’t actually need 27different eyeshadow pallets.

The obsession with stuff is ridiculous. I cannot stand hauls, there’s just no need

Reactions: 24
I hope it's the year we say goodbye to mummy vloggers and family influencers. Cannot stand people pimping out their children for a paycheck.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
I used to follow a few interior accounts, but they’ve changed to ads, swipe ups, gifts galore (and believe me these are already very very wealthy families that don’t need the stuff they are gifted). They are so smug with it now. It’s almost like they believe they are some sort of insta celebrity. It’s truly laughable. Recently one of the women was advertising for a hunger charity organised by Asda, but was paid! She only ever seems to shop at Waitrose so it’s awful when you can see them doing anything to make money, yet they bleet on about how wonderful they are etc etc. How they support local businesses and how they are true to themselves. Instagram has become a money making platform and so many are jumping on the band wagon.

I hope it's the year we say goodbye to mummy vloggers and family influencers. Cannot stand people pimping out their children for a paycheck.
You are so right! I’ve noticed a few families using their kids to make money. It doesn’t seem right at all.

Reactions: 10
Do you think advertisers will migrate to platforms like Tic Tok? I was shocked at how much some ‘Tic Tokkers’ earn.
Looking at some of the mummyfloggers comments you just notice how many lower tier/wannabe influencers are commenting...how saturated is that market!
I really dislike this promotion of throwaway stuff, stuff followers are buying to keep up with influencers.
I think I would prefer to watch/follow someone with an actual talent, say photography, then that person doing an advert for a camera.

Reactions: 12
Unfortunately it’s difficult to see any originality in accounts as most are carbon copies of others. Accounts are becoming clone like and hungry to make money.

Reactions: 15
According to Liberty London Girl (I’ve mentioned this before) Instagram is *hiding * many posts now unless you pay them. She was complaining about the fact that her posts weren’t getting seen or liked. I think she now makes her entire living via stuff she posts on the gram.

Reactions: 4
I loved Instagram before the whole selling your soul for a few quid started. Instagrammers had their own opinions and we’re relatable. Now they would sell their own grandmother. And brands I did like are cheapening themselves and won’t buy out of principle (not that they would notice lol).

Reactions: 16
honestly instagrams full of lonely weirdos posting the same thing to get in with the cool kids.

Reactions: 14
I think it's definitely reaching it's peak now. It's got to the point with some it's just cheapening brands now because their stuff is just lost in an endless show of gifts. But until the followers stop giving the brands the attention they want then the brands will just keep on sending stuff out. What gets me though is just how lazy some of the ads are getting, influencers aren't even trying anymore.

The whole Lauren Goodger situation has helped, I think it's made some people realise what really goes on but it's the tip of the iceberg, I don't think it's even occured to people it's not just reality stars doing it.

Instagram is *hiding * many posts now unless you pay them
She's being an idiot. Of course you aren't guaranteed to reach someone's feed unless you pay. The average person is following 600+ people so of course they won't see everyones post. Instagram want a fuckload of content and only show the best to it's users so they stay on the platform and have a good experience to make as much money for themselves.
Looking at some of the mummyfloggers comments you just notice how many lower tier/wannabe influencers are commenting...how saturated is that market!
Yep most comments are from people desperate to be infuencers, not people ready to be influenced!
The law will catch up and their business model will be dead in the water. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: 7
I was added to an influencer group and the things that I discovered. They get all their friends to use their swipe ups, comment on ads. 95% of their engagement is from like for like groups etc

• Wow
Reactions: 22
I was added to an influencer group and the things that I discovered. They get all their friends to use their swipe ups, comment on ads. 95% of their engagement is from like for like groups etc
Never commented here before 😬, but this really makes things so clear! Influencers always always comment on each other posts (the Greek woman literally seems to know/arse licks EVERYONE)....now I get why 🙄

Reactions: 9
I hope so. They are all the same now anyway all wear same brand that's paying them, all go to same events, all upload same content.

Reactions: 5
I’ve just seen 2 influencers with who’ve been gifted loads of food from Asda...both are far from needy. This boils my piss.

• Wow
  • Angry
Agree with @Yel that starting this thread now could be an interesting record of them toppling like dominoes through 2020.

I am dumbfounded now at the amount of traffic on my feed that used to state “ad” in line with regs bit simply doesn’t anymore - when the person is clearly advertising!

I follow so few interiors/mums now because I’ve had a saccharine overdose of their candlyfloss bullshit - I stick to mainly comics I like but even some of the best female comics I follow just seem to be flogging tit, in a way that’s undoubtedly less evident amongst their male counterparts.

Finally I’m also sick of being to told whom I should vote for, help this Christmas, or buy to make sure when I die I don’t enter eternal damnation.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Didn’t know Asda gave away food! Is this Xmas food that they are advertising?
Asda are running a charity campaign to help combat hunger. Ironically they pay fees to instagrammers to tell followers about the charity. Wonder how many mouths they could feed on fees paid out alone?
Im also sick and tired of people who are clearly advertising a product but don’t declare it, or try hiding the fact they have been paid a fee. So many gullible people out there worshipping instagrammers who are fake and their lives are as fake as anything!

Reactions: 3