10 Pound Poms, iplayer and BBC1

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Watched it all today. Wasn't too bad but probably doesn't shed the greatest light on Aussies. Not sure they could get another series out of it.

Reactions: 4
Thanks, I do remember watching this drama when it was originally aired on BBC1. Very sad and disturbing, especially what happened to some kids who were sent to homes in Australia. I recall Christine Tremarco being in it, it was about 3 scouse kids, worth a watch.
I remember watching this too but thought I’d imagined it. it was very traumatic in parts.

Reactions: 2
Watched it all today. Wasn't too bad but probably doesn't shed the greatest light on Aussies. Not sure they could get another series out of it.
I thought it was OK as the racism was real although other Brits went over and had a different experience.

We emigrated to Australia a while back and despite being absolutely prepared for it (my husband grew up there, i'd been there before, we had Australian family close by) we were just so unbelievably homesick and came back after 2 years. Sounds mad I know, but living there really is so different to holidays or backpacking. There was lots of different reasons we came back that I won't go into, but homesickness was a big part. 12 years later and still don't regret coming back (or going out there in the first place, as it was still an experience)

My mother in law moved there in the 60s and has a very rose-tinted view of it now (and can't understand why we didn't stick it out and stay), but I know some awful things happened to her when she first came out that she just doesn't ever talk about. I can't imagine how hard it would have been back then
I made a wonderful friend from the UK who moved here to NZ thinking it would be wonderful ... she had a great job and lovely place to live all lined up - all the boxes were well and firmly ticked and she was looking forward to, and excited for, her future. Within a year, she was homesick. We have a few UK grocery stores here (mini supermarkets that sell all the stuff those from the UK would be looking forward to seeing), and there are heaps of UK expat groups, meetups, etc. ... but despite all that she just couldn't settle. She wasn't lonely - she made a lot of new friends - but she just couldn't shake the feeling. So, she moved back after 18 months. She's now back in the UK but in a different location to where she'd lived previously.

I applaud anyone for giving it a go; life's too short to sit back and play it safe or spend time wondering, 'what if'.

Reactions: 9
Yup, totally agree that Michelle Keegan ruined it. Not only her appalling acting but she looked completely out of place. Fake tan, microbladed eyebrows, make up and hair that was totally historically inaccurate ... Such a shame when wardrobe and make up was so well done on the other actors. But it spoiled the retro feel when one actor looks contemporary while everyone else is 1950s. Disappointing.

Reactions: 11
Anyone manage to catch the real life 10 pound Poms, pretty brutal too. One woman described the isolation she felt so well to her daughter, took her on a trip down quite a sad memory lane.

Is it worth pursuing?
I watched two episodes and quite liked it. I had really looked forward to it tbh.
I don't dislike Michelle Keegan's acting, I think she is quite good, but her appearance was so jarring. The teeth, lips, botox and brows 😬 It just stops you getting immersed in it all.

Is this on I Player too?
I don’t think this is the same programme that Sliceofpizza is talking about but I recommend watching Long Lost Family: Shipped to Australia on ITV player. Gives a good insight into what women like Michelle Keegan’s character went through without having to suffer her wooden acting and perfectly primped eyebrows.

Reactions: 3
Is it worth pursuing?
I watched two episodes and quite liked it. I had really looked forward to it tbh.
I don't dislike Michelle Keegan's acting, I think she is quite good, but her appearance was so jarring. The teeth, lips, botox and brows 😬 It just stops you getting immersed in it all.
I enjoyed it - give it another chance

Reactions: 1
I watched the documentary - looked like it was from the 80's or something.

I watched it in iplayer at the weekend.
I’m not sure how I feel tbh. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it.
If there was a second series I’d probably watch it but I’d not be bothered if there wasn’t another series.

A couple of bits did irritate me though.
Kate’s fiancé called her a “single mother.”
I don’t think this term was used back then. I think the term that would have been used was “unmarried mother.”

Also when Kate was telling Michael that every night she’d say to him “I love you to the moon and back.” Erm, this phrase is a fairly recent one from the past 20 years or so and I’m pretty certain it was never used back then. It just seemed so out of place.
If I’m incorrect in my points then I’m sure someone will correct me. 😳😁

If you write a period drama at least do the research and don’t used modern terminology. Sloppy writing.

Michelle Keegan looks older than her years due to all the work she’s had done. Such a shame as she was lovely before.

Reactions: 11
I watched it in iplayer at the weekend.
I’m not sure how I feel tbh. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it.
If there was a second series I’d probably watch it but I’d not be bothered if there wasn’t another series.

A couple of bits did irritate me though.
Kate’s fiancé called her a “single mother.”
I don’t think this term was used back then. I think the term that would have been used was “unmarried mother.”

Also when Kate was telling Michael that every night she’d say to him “I love you to the moon and back.” Erm, this phrase is a fairly recent one from the past 20 years or so and I’m pretty certain it was never used back then. It just seemed so out of place.
If I’m incorrect in my points then I’m sure someone will correct me. 😳😁

If you write a period drama at least do the research and don’t used modern terminology. Sloppy writing.

Michelle Keegan looks older than her years due to all the work she’s had done. Such a shame as she was lovely before.
Yeah, the dialogue felt too modern in general. Not just the odd phrase, just the feel of it too, the inflections and body language. You're right, it just didn't feel like they'd properly researched the period.

It was fine in a similar way to Call the Midwife is - ok but just no depth to it at all. I just didn't care about any of the characters as there was no real effort to develop them beyond 'this bad thing happened to them'

Reactions: 4
I assumed they didn’t show her kidnapping the boy or not because they we doing a cliff hanger for the another series.

Reactions: 3