10 Pound Poms, iplayer and BBC1

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s really hard not to see Michelle Keegan because all we can see and hear is Michelle Keegan. She is unable to play any other character. Her character isn’t believable at all. Just fun seeing the hair do, costume and make up. She doesn’t emulate or embody the era, purpose of feeling at all.
She spoils it for me.

I’m looking forward to seeing the other characters develop. I’ve only seen ep 1 so no spoilers please… but I got the impression the teen daughter was pregnant (probs thinking no tit Sherlock) so that’ll be interesting. I want to see the mum in her new job too.

I don’t think the mum and dad will stay together I think she will prosper there and he will get dragged down by his new work mates.

Reactions: 10
I must say and this won't be a popular opinion that I think Michelle is playing a different role to her gobby role in this series. Her character seems quieter less abrasive and is carrying a big secret
Enjoyed the first episode and I think that themum Annie will.do really well and prosper in Australia 🦘p

Reactions: 2
She may not always be gobby (although I think she was with the bike bump-the gobbiness is strong and always comes through with this one) but she ALWAYS mumbles, looks confused/hard done by and rarely smiles just as she does irl. It’s wearing thin.

Found the scene with the injured young boy who was run over by the men, really sad.

Reactions: 7
I've enjoyed it but did find some of the side stories underdeveloped. They would be better cut or given more depth.

Michelle Keegan is unintentionally hilarious in the final episode. There's a lot of staring into the camera, some looking scared and heightened emotions and her face doesn't move or change in any of it. She is also a very average actress anyway. Can only imagine what a more experienced and talented actress could have done.

Yes, because of her minimal range and lack of depth it feels like a cold performance. I enjoyed the programme despite her as she wasn’t really upfront and central to everything.

Reactions: 4
I’m looking forward to the next ep. Can only imagine the shock people had arriving somewhere like that knowing they’d been duped and only sheer graft was going to be their escape if they were lucky. They must’ve felt so trapped.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I’m looking forward to the next ep. Can only imagine the shock people had arriving somewhere like that knowing they’d been duped and only sheer graft was going to be their escape if they were lucky. They must’ve felt so trapped.
And they had to stay 2 years before leaving for home or pay the money back. It must have been awful. The world was much bigger in those days. Very little news from home, no direct flights, travel by ship, no British newspapers or tv or familiar groceries. I emigrated and it’s tough and yet I have internet, FaceTime. British tv, visits home…. I can’t imagine their loneliness

• Sad
Reactions: 11
It was a more modern equivalent of the immigration rush to the states at the turn of the century.

I can't imagine it happening now. I don't think there is anywhere underpopulated. Unless you have a key skill a country needs.

My heart sank when I saw their accommodation it did look like a concentration camp and yes a lot of graft was needed before you could afford something half decent. But an awful lot of people did stick it out and said that after a few years they didn't want to come back as they had got used to Australia but several people said they missed a White Christmas not that we get those every year anyway.

Reactions: 5
I thought it was also interesting how they reminded us how bad the UK was at the time, post war and full of smog etc

I thought it was also interesting how they reminded us how bad the UK was at the time, post war and full of smog etc
Yes and rationing the sunny photos of Australia must have been very tempting

Reactions: 5
Gosh my heart sank too :( it was just awful. The culture and weather shock was enough without the squalor. They certainly captured the dust, dirt, squalor & destitution of it all didn’t they?

Michelle was on Heart with Mark promoting it and he made her do this quiz thing which said her heart lied in Oz or something and she seemed shocked. He said she’d be calling him saying she missed England and was homesick etc. Sounds like she had a shot of method acting (not that she’d be capable) but it was very interesting to hear she was desperate to get home & on the phone to him about it… She didn’t mention this - he did… perhaps she wouldn’t have shared it… She’s got series 2 to think about 😆

Goes to show emigrating cant always be what it’s cracked up to be… @Libbylulu do you mind sharing where you once emigrated to… I find stories of migration so interesting because you’re so right re access to information and media and opinions etc . It’s not as if they could’ve have a sneak peek online at images or facilities!

The shock must’ve been something else. I mean with slavery and other such horrifyingly barbaric regimes inflicted on the human race (by other humans!) they knew they were going someone horrible & ofc this doesn’t make it any better whatsoever but these people actually thought they were living in a modern age and going to be somewhere nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
We emigrated to Australia a while back and despite being absolutely prepared for it (my husband grew up there, i'd been there before, we had Australian family close by) we were just so unbelievably homesick and came back after 2 years. Sounds mad I know, but living there really is so different to holidays or backpacking. There was lots of different reasons we came back that I won't go into, but homesickness was a big part. 12 years later and still don't regret coming back (or going out there in the first place, as it was still an experience)

My mother in law moved there in the 60s and has a very rose-tinted view of it now (and can't understand why we didn't stick it out and stay), but I know some awful things happened to her when she first came out that she just doesn't ever talk about. I can't imagine how hard it would have been back then

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I know someone who moved to Indonesia for a planned gap year or two and was back on the plane within 48 hours. They just knew on arrival they'd made a mistake (sold their business back home) so came home. Don't regret it though, sometimes it takes a shock of reality to focus the mind.

I admire the honesty and bravery displayed here. It takes a lot to say something hasn’t worked and I’m coming home. Why have regrets too, you took the plunge many don’t that a big pat on the back in my books!

It takes a big person to say this isn’t for me and go ‘backwards’ as it were. It’s forwards if that’s what you want anyway! Especially as those who get stuck in England tend to say narrow minded things like why would you want to come back to boring old Blighty, oooh you lived in Oz etc , I bet that was lovely, weather is pants here etc etc. There’s more to life than nice weather and beaches. And as mentioned holidays are different.

Your friend who sold his business wow. Life is for living not regretting, brave brave person.

Sadly your mother in law probably wanted some positivity to come out of it for the family as whole because if she was honest with herself it wasn’t all positive for her. A lot of people who live in various places around the world, Oz South Africa, US, Dubai, rest of Europe etc pretend to love it just because they enjoy other peoples jealousy of them being there but in reality they are miserable. Seems almost crazy and cutting your nose off to spite their face but people do do it!

I have on occasion gone on holiday and wanted to jump right back on the plane home!

Reactions: 10
I agree, I think its better to try and 'fail' than just sit in comfort zone and wonder 'what if'. At least you know.

My friend said he built a business once and he could do it again, and he did. Admire him tbh

A friend of mine emigrated there about 20 years ago. Her husband was brought up there and then came back but wanted to return as he reckoned there were more opportunities there, so he took her for a long holiday there before hand to see if she would like it and she did. They have done well hes a builder and they have a massive new house and a swimming pool and 2 great kids. But after a few years for her the homesickness kicked in especially when her Mum had a stroke and she couldn't speak on the phone to her anymore, she misses Britain but can only afford to come back once every 10 years or so and misses stuff like Christmas dinner, the Barbeque on the beach on Christmas day is not the same. Still both their kids are there and grand kids so I can't see them coming back soon and her husband likes it there.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
She sounds like a trooper :( what a difficult situation to be in too, you’re the odd one out in your family and they love where you are but you don’t. Such a huge sacrifice to make.

Reactions: 6
Emigrating is tough. No amount of preparation will dampen the culture shock and realisation you aren’t going home after 2 weeks. When your shipment arrives then it’s real. Unpacking and making a home is surreal. I moved years ago with my husband, we had a two year secondment. I was desperately home sick and used to sit outside waiting for the postman incase there was news or letter from home. I recognised only corned beef and baked beans from home in the supermarket and we used to pass newspapers around when someone brought them back after a trip home or a business trip. We had no internet and no British tv. We stayed longer than two years, we got posted to other countries too and have for a long time settled in Asia. You get used to it, so much so that visiting home is now a culture shock in reverse. It’s still called home but we know that’s because our families live there. We’ve had some wonderful times and have fabulous memories but I won’t pretend it’s been plain sailing because it hasn’t.

• Heart
Reactions: 13