10 Pound Poms, iplayer and BBC1

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Starts tonight but all episodes are on iplayer now.

Quite enjoying it so far. But why Michele keegan is cast in anything I don't know, especially now her face barely moves.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I’ve watched 3 episodes and am enjoying it but agree 100% Michelle Keegan’s botoxed face and lips are off putting

Reactions: 5
Really enjoyed the first episode!
Was tempted to binge all episodes, but not at the moment! 😆😆

Reactions: 3
Only watched the 1st one, not sure if we are gonna catch up during the week or watch weekly.
it’s good,Canr believe how hated we was at 1st! That old man is horrible.

Reactions: 3
He was pretty horrible and pretty deranged. I don’t know why I thought he was going to rape him in the loos at one point.

I’m enjoying it so far (just going to watch weekly) but Michelle’s frozen face is incredibly off putting and I don’t know if it’s because she’s such an unbelievably TERRIBLE frozen-faced actress of deep voiced mumbling and looking hard done by and/or confused all the time but I don’t think her storyline is all that believable. The bike bump scene & document stealing scene was implausible. Like I say it’s probably please go to drama school and stop playing yourself Michelle as I didn’t mind the other storylines.

Wish they’d shown just a little more of their lives in the uk and why they wanted to leave and given that build up - even a little more scenes of the voyage. Typical bbc production cutting corners 🙄

Reactions: 10
They may do flashbacks to home throughout?
I enjoyed it, my mum’s cousin was a £10 Pom and she met up with him this year for the 1st time since they were teenagers

Reactions: 2
He was pretty horrible and pretty deranged. I don’t know why I thought he was going to rape him in the loos at one point.

I’m enjoying it so far (just going to watch weekly) but Michelle’s frozen face is incredibly off putting and I don’t know if it’s because she’s such an unbelievably TERRIBLE frozen-faced actress of deep voiced mumbling and looking hard done by and/or confused all the time but I don’t think her storyline is all that believable. The bike bump scene & document stealing scene was implausible. Like I say it’s probably please go to drama school and stop playing yourself Michelle as I didn’t mind the other storylines.

Wish they’d shown just a little more of their lives in the uk and why they wanted to leave and given that build up - even a little more scenes of the voyage. Typical bbc production cutting corners 🙄
I thought the same. One minute they decide to go the next they’re in Australia. What about the voyage? It took six months? I like the family especially the teenage daughter but I struggled to follow what the flip Michelle keegan was doing because there was no dialogue and her face portray no emotion(Botox) that you didn’t get a feel for the character. I wish she’d fall out of favour as an actress cos she’s no Dame Judi or Sarah Lancashire is she!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
As others have said, they got there quick! No build up of how you went about gettin there or the progress. I can’t imagine the boat ride was at all fun n comfortable!

I watched it all
I felt it lacked in parts but overall really enjoyed it. I think it’s set up for a 2nd series
I’d love to read about it or find a factual documentary

Reactions: 2
I’ve not read the spoiler but like you id like to read and learn more about it.

I just finished bingeing it all and I actually enjoyed it. There were actually some moments in Ep 4/5 that made me cry!
Michelle Keegan’s face is out of place. She’s lucky Danny Brocklehurst is there to keep giving her work!
I agree, an accompanying factual documentary would be really interesting.

Reactions: 8
There’s an old BBC drama on You Tube called The Leaving of Liverpool which is about the children’s migration by the home office. It’s very sad but also gives an insight into this period

There’s an old BBC drama on You Tube called The Leaving of Liverpool which is about the children’s migration by the home office. It’s very sad but also gives an insight into this period
Thanks, I do remember watching this drama when it was originally aired on BBC1. Very sad and disturbing, especially what happened to some kids who were sent to homes in Australia. I recall Christine Tremarco being in it, it was about 3 scouse kids, worth a watch.

From what I remember lots of children were sent from orphanages to Australia with the promise of a better life in loving families but ended up as mere slaves on farms run by cruel people. I believe social services and church groups encouraged young mothers who were struggling to do it and they never saw their children again.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Gosh how horrifyingly barbaric. Similar child and baby stealing/abuse was done (& probably still is) to young mothers by the Catholic Church and I imagine other regimes too.

Reactions: 4
From what I remember lots of children were sent from orphanages to Australia with the promise of a better life in loving families but ended up as mere slaves on farms run by cruel people. I believe social services and church groups encouraged young mothers who were struggling to do it and they never saw their children again.
On call the midwife they had sent some children away for a better life.
---
IMG_0071.png

I remember watching this as a teenager. I don't remember it in detail, just that bleak feeling that stayed with me for ages after watching it

Agree about Michelle Keegan's 'modern' face being a bit out of place and distracting. It reminded me of a Victorian set drama that Billie Piper was in years ago and I could get past her noughties eyebrows and chunky blonde highlights 😆

Reactions: 10