Ruby Granger #45 "Um" -- Ruby Granger, 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think Ruby does act more normal around blakeney I think she seems more giggly and childlike- sometimes a little manic when she’s around her

Reactions: 13
I don’t think Ruby does act more normal around blakeney I think she seems more giggly and childlike- sometimes a little manic when she’s around her
I agree with you. She seems hyper, over-excited, like someone who just got a puppy for Christmas, and overreacts to everything. Blakeney is definitely more mature than her and I still feel like she is tolerating her to some extent. One example was a clip of them standing next to each other outside in the rain. Blakeney starts to look away, like she is looking at a tree or the sky. Ruby immediately thought she was going to twirl, so Ruby twirled and gasped, only to find out Blakeney never did and is over that behavior. Ruby looked at Blakeney for approval and received none. It was an awkward moment that portrayed that Ruby is still acting like a child and Blakeney has grown up. Of everything in that vlog, that moment is what I remember the most. See timestamp 9:52. Ruby's constant need to express joy by grimacing and bouncing around makes me want to sit her in a corner and force her to take a time out. I think she has always been like this.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Their whole vibe is "two people who get along pleasantly enough in 15 minute increments but don't have a lot to talk about beyond that" and Ruby just seems to overcompensate by getting intentionally over-excited over anything they might remotely agree on to try to force the "we're really BASST FRANDS, aren't we?" narrative in her head. She was the same way with Jade in their video together not long ago.

It's tough to gauge what their actual relationship is like and how comfortable they are around each other since Ruby's always so performative, they both seem uncomfortable on camera in general and Ruby usually refuses to allow Blakeney to speak in videos. If she hasn't cut all her words out and reduced Blakeney to a smiling prop, she snips random sections of sentences, rendering the whole conversation an incoherent mess, or talks over and interrupts her constantly.

The try-hard purple prose narration full of awkward, one-sided love-bombing doesn't exactly make things seem their "BASST FRANDS AND SYOUL MATES" status that Ruby keeps screaming about seem any more natural or genuine, nor does Ruby taking another hard stance about something she completely made up: She says she's read online that society believes that if you don't have friends, you don't deserve friends. Ruby bravely overcome this toxic misconception that she imagined and made a friend who tolerates her for a few hours every 6 months on gifted outings. Heart-warming stuff.

Seems like this video should've been saved for Ruby's private holiday home videos, since there's not really much here for anyone else beyond shoddy editing, bad audio, filming more people without consent (and barely, unsuccessfully trying to blur them out), sponsorships and undeclared ads.

Speaking of ads, she also buries the lede massively; in true Ruby fashion, she declares one ad while desperately trying to hide another, bigger one. This video wasn't sponsored by Lord Haldon Hotel and they didn't gift the trip - it was Bird and Blend who set it up and paid for it, which Ruby neglects to properly mention while spending the whole video advertising BARDEN BLAND's company and products and claiming she's only doing so because she spent so much time in their shop while studying at Exeter. Yes, Ruby, you spent a lot of time there because you were advertising them, being gifted their products, being sponsored by them and doing merch collabs. This is the tit you're supposed to be up front about.

To cap it off, Ruby - JANUINELEEEY THEEE MYOST MOSTEST VEEEGAN HYOO AVVER LIVED - has what she thinks is a cheese and "PEANOT BOTTAH" sandwich, but unsurprisingly didn't even bother checking what was in it or if it was vegan cheese, but "likes to think it was". That's her whole approach to veganism: Don't bother being vegan, just keep pretending that you are (and very loudly). And then she tries to overcompensate by shouting about how many wonderful vegan options Exeter has and how she naturally visited AWHL OFF THAM.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
i dont understand how ruby has 800k subs and gets so many sponsorships when her editing is still atrocious at least for the intro mute your clips if you're using loud music. In some parts it's the video audio, music and voice over all playing at once. And after all these years film a damn new outro or dont use one at all 😩
I think most of her subscribers are from her peak studytube era during A Levels and early university. But then most of them have (understandably) moved on with their lives and don't watch her content anymore, but haven't unsubscribed (thus the low numbers of views).

Reactions: 12
Describing Blakeney as her “favourite person” throughout this video is a bit much. If I were Blakeney I would be scared…

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Describing Blakeney as her “favourite person” throughout this video is a bit much. If I were Blakeney I would be scared…
The only time I've ever seen that phrase used is in writing about the signs of various personality disorders, so I would be scared too 😬

Reactions: 2
Ruby seems very childish when with Blakney and it is like she is constantly seeking her approval. I think that she was very much like this when she was with Jade as well in previous videos, and she seems very fawning over them. She is a bit like an overexcited puppy or someone who is very unpopular at school is suddenly befriended by a popular student, and she is desperate to keep the friendship or the other person liking her. I think that you would normally expect the friendship to mellow out over the years when it had become more established and solid, but Ruby still has this overexcited and fawning energy around Blakney.

She might also be this overexcited as she doesn't speak to many people in her course and she spends a lot of time on her own, and she is just so excited to see Blakney. She is very much like a flower which is suddenly exposed to sunlight when she is with Blakney. She always seems much more childish and energetic around her. She might always be like this but it is evident in comparison to Blakney who seems much more laid back and mature than Ruby.

I think that Ruby might be a bit tiring to be friends with. I had to remind myself that she was 24 this year and she still comes off as so young for her age, due to her personality and her clothing, especially the chunky shoes. I think that her immaturity and her constant need to show off her intelligence would be annoying in person and I do think that getting freebies do help people such as Blakney stay friends with her or want to spend time with her. I think that most people would be inclined to spend a bit of time with Ruby to get a free entry into a film premier or a book launch etc

I do wonder how she would cope if her and Blakney had an argument or stopped being friends, considering that Blakney is her most favourite person. Or what would happen in Blakney had changed her interests etc, especially as Ruby likes friends who are just like her.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I could personally see her having a stab at teaching, but I can't think she would be very good at it, or it very good for her. Especially with the profession in the state it is. Though, that's in the state sector. She could teach in the private sector (they love people with Oxbridge degrees).

This isn't a jab at her either. Ruby reminds me of myself a couple years ago before I started working full time, and I was glad I didn't go for teaching then. I've developed so much in just having employment and paying bills and stuff. I made the decision because almost all the best teachers I had were career changers.

She could, in theory, go on to work in the university. I know someone who did that after his degree, went on to work in the offices of a college. It would enable her to live her dark macadamia dreams for a while longer. It's not the best paid work, but you're in and around Oxford.
She already did have a stab at teaching. It was part-time, and I doubt she did more than hand out and collect materials, but I can see her going back just to have something to do.
---
i dont understand how ruby has 800k subs and gets so many sponsorships when her editing is still atrocious at least for the intro mute your clips if you're using loud music. In some parts it's the video audio, music and voice over all playing at once. And after all these years film a damn new outro or dont use one at all 😩
I think if you don't watch Ruby often, her carefree life is like a breath of fresh air. A lot of us have watched her for years and know too much about her real life to fully enjoy it.

Reactions: 3
Are Best Western considered a good hotel in the UK? The hotel where she stayed with Blakney is pretty but it belongs to this chain. Here in the state they are usually pretty crappy so I was just wondering ...

Reactions: 3
Are Best Western considered a good hotel in the UK? The hotel where she stayed with Blakney is pretty but it belongs to this chain. Here in the state they are usually pretty crappy so I was just wondering ...
lol somehow ”tea shop chain corporate paid for my stay in the Best Western in Exeter” has the exact opposite of the vibe she’s so desperately trying to convey 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I do wonder how she would cope if her and Blakney had an argument or stopped being friends, considering that Blakney is her most favourite person. Or what would happen in Blakney had changed her interests etc, especially as Ruby likes friends who are just like her.
I'd be shocked if there hadn't been some kind of (even mild, polite) confrontation while they were living together. Ruby seems like a terrible roommate/friend in almost every way:

• Constantly leaving all the lights on.
  • Constantly leaving the fridge open.
  • Never cleaning up after herself (or doing it so incompetently/half-assedly that it'd need doing all over again anyway).
  • Being controlling and possessive the shared space in the house (and tossing out any of Blakeney's decorations that didn't fit Ruby's aesthetic whims).
  • Bailing on the uni house to run back home, leaving Blakeney by herself*.
  • Having Blakeney do the bulk of Ruby's uni work for her.
  • Latching onto Blakeney's friends then causing drama (as with Molly).
  • Intrusive filming habits (which Blakeney appeared totally sick off by final year).

Even if she has the patience of a saint and is a total doormat, Blakeney must've gotten tired of it at some point. Ruby's spoiled 'take everything, give nothing back' bullshit is probably a big part of why doesn't have much time for Ruby these days unless there's extra incentive (that and she's actually doing things with her time, unlike Ruby).

*Although Blakeney getting the house to herself might've been a huge bonus for her to be free of Ruby's tit for a while, it's still a totally dick move on Ruby's part to wait until they'd renewed the lease and moved back in to bugger off back home for no reason other than to pretend to be a kid again. Especially since Blakeney doesn't appear to have the cash to just waste on accommodation then go back home and not use it.

Reactions: 15
I haven’t watched in a while but I’ve been curious and… you really wouldn’t guess she’s at Oxford, would you? It’s a shame, I’d have thought it would’ve been a place she would love! Maybe I’m biased as I lived there for a while, but even just for aesthetic vlogs it’d make a gorgeous backdrop but we aren’t seeing her spending much time there at all!!

The interactions with Blakeney remind me so much of a friend I’ve just cut off, actually. She’d just be too much, telling me I’m her favourite person and not really giving me a chance to speak or have a personality aside from what she also liked. Very immature and became quite suffocating with her interactions with me— something I see glimpses of definitely with Ruby. Not to say she’s the same at all but it reminds me of that friend who was just too much for what I could give, especially the whole “favourite person” “soulmate” thing…

In a way, I do sympathise with Ruby. I’m also nearing 24 and am struggling with parts of growing up. I think on my end, mental health issues and the pandemic stunted certain things for me (none of my degree was in person due to the lockdowns) and I also understand how she just wants to retreat home because it’s easy— of course, it’s easy when your parents will be there for you— but she is very fortunate to have the opportunity to find independence when a lot of people our age can’t. Where I am, moving out is just not feasible anymore but that doesn’t mean standing in the garden and twirling around will achieve much. I hope that once she’s done with her masters she’ll realise how she needs to really grasp the opportunities that she has. Not everyone has a following on social media like she does, why not put it to good use like other youtubers have managed to? She wants to write a novel? That’s fine, why not take the bull by the horns and follow the likes of Christy Anne Jones or someone? Try to inspire change like someone such as Vee?

This is a big long ramble but I just wanted to say I understand her in a way, but life will not come to you if you just stay in your childhood bubble, you really do need to branch out even if it’s uncomfortable. I don’t really see what she’ll be doing post-Oxford, but I sincerely hope she’ll find a path and, for lack of a better term, grow up a little.

Reactions: 19
She’s supposed to be doing a live study with me rn for charity but can’t get the stream to work…
edit: she started another live stream but now the charity link isn’t connected to that one 🙄 how is she so goddamn inept

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
"Umm...(smacks lips)....hah...ummm...syoo...umm...(waves claw hand around)...yah, syoo, ummm...(smacks lips)...umm...and as oiy say...ummmmm...so yah...(waves hands about)"

Good lord.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
"Umm...(smacks lips)....hah...ummm...syoo...umm...(waves claw hand around)...yah, syoo, ummm...(smacks lips)...umm...and as oiy say...ummmmm...so yah...(waves hands about)"

Good lord.
you can tell she's nervous

she's anxious because she can't control the narrative.. or the comments lol

Reactions: 10
some fav comments so far

"This girl makes studying look so fun anything fun really!"

"I thought you were intelligent but you don't know any History or facts"

"does she have an OF?"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26