Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

under the ivy

VIP Member
811577E9-72A1-4563-8634-24D960125F66.jpeg

I always used to have square but I’ve switched to almond. I get builder gel as normal gel doesn’t last on my nails. I always go for a nude/pale pink or tips of some sort, I’m spotting bright pink atm!

• Heart
Reactions: 6

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
The risks with the lamp exposure is a personal risk tolerance everyone will have to decide for themselves but re allergies etc - some of these articles are very poor IMO. I've seen several blame 'at home' kits for the allergies. This might be the case if people are doing their nails at home and they're curing gel products onto their skin, gel should never be cured touching your skin at all.

But the big risk with developing allergies is undercured gel. These articles are saying bizarre things like 'leave it to the professionals'. I can't even tell you how many 'professionals' I've been to who mix and match their gel products and lamps! Someone I know who does nails and actually has a nail training academy will frequently use base and top coat from brand A, colour from brand B, with a lamp from brand C. This is just asking for trouble and it's definitely not only people at home who are doing that! Professionals should be using all gel products AND lamp from the same brand. That is the only way to know for certain that the brand has tested their products with that particular lamp and they're certain the products are curing. Another thing is how old the lamp is. Older lamps are not going to cure as effectively and each brand sets out how long their lamps should last before being replaced. So if you're going to keep going to a salon I would say check they use the same brand for all products and lamp, have a look at how old their lamps look, and also check if they're storing their tools in barbicide.

I've seen several articles recommend getting dip instead of gel and this just made me laugh out loud. Dip must be the most unhygienic product going, it's not just a brush from a bottle going onto your nail bed, you're sticking your whole finger into a pot of powder where countless other people have also stuck their fingers. Who knows whether those people wash their hands and what they've got under their fingernails? Also, a lot of cheap dip and acrylic products contain HEMA which often causes allergies and irritation - I actually wonder whether these articles are referring to HEMA allergies when they say 'people are developing allergies' because many gel products are now HEMA free. So the suggestion that getting dip is preferable at all to getting gel makes me seriously doubt the research that went into these articles.

Reactions: 6
My hallowe’en nails. The first time having BIAB infills. I can’t believe long they are already & how much I love them!!! Life changing
4DE525DD-3D4A-4B49-BA25-6E68A57C20EE.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I did BIAB like was suggested on here and just had a fresh set and can’t believe how long my nails are now after 2 infills. I’m shocked!

• Heart

Welshgal

VIP Member
Guys I am so impressed. Went to the nail salon my mom recommended (that’s way cheaper than my go to salon) and o m g. These are my nails after almost 4 weeks - isn’t that crazy? They’re obviously growing out but there’s not a single chip? Going again later today and hoping for a similar result 🤞🏻

Attachments

Notorious PIG

I have practically a salon’s-worth of nail equipments, tools and materials at home! My method of choice is gel polish (and I just did a lovely French tip just yesterday actually) but I also have poly gel, acrylic, ready made gel nails (Kiara Sky), builder gel. I also do my own pedicures, but (for me) nothing beats getting that done at a salon.

I went a little OTT during lockdown and purchased loads of colors and glitters and all that, but when it comes down to it I always prefer French tip, I just never get bored of it!

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
@JoeBloggs What kind of gel kit do you have? Is it hard to master?
I just have an LED lamp I got off amazon for about £15. You'll also need some wipes and I do like the nail foils for getting it off.

I would say that premium gels are better, I use either OPI or Mylee base and top and then I use the Shelac Luxe Gels as they take hardly any time to remove. No easy to buy now but I get them on ebay.

My first two or so attempts were average but I would say I am quite good now. You need to prep your nails well, I have oily skin so I use a dehydrating set and primer which is great. Do not wash your hand with soap before applying and when removing I have an electric nail file with attachments which is ancient but it works a treat.

I would say take you time, it takes me about an hour to do mine. Do not rush and try to go thinly on your nails, also capping is a must. For me it was all about trial an error, I gave up when I first got the lamp because they peeled but I now put that down to oily nails and cheap gels.

GamerLlama87

Chatty Member
I have gel nails done every 3 weeks for £18. She uses The Gel Bottle products so I have BIAB and the cost is for any design or art. I love my nail tech, she's amazing at what she does! They never peel, lift or chip and my cuticles have never looked better 😍

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
update - gave it a go! base of wellie boots (dark brown) with virgo cat eye (copper with pink) over the top! the metallic bits look pink with flash but copper under normal lighting. right hand is considerably less neat but hoping daily cuticle oil will help get rid of the flecks on my skin. also need to work on capping the ends bc i'm completely failing that atm

Attachments

Reactions: 4

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
my last two at home gel manicures! the pink lasted almost three weeks but once again defeated by the veg peeler. blue has been on for a week and is looking a bit worse for wear around the cuticle this time, i find it's hit or miss with how they wear even though the nail prep is exactly the same.

my skin is cool toned (and obvs v pale) but i don't think the blue suits me that well? next colour i'll try for more contrast and warmer tone and see if that makes a difference bc i think the pink works. tried my best to show what the colours actually look like irl too :giggle:

4FD96B16-4452-4B49-AC91-E790929BA0A7.jpeg
11C9EA20-5BFA-426E-B841-C4787BA2A005.jpeg

Welshgal

VIP Member
I had to go in and have my nails removed as they started to completely come off after only a week 😭 Went back to my old place and the lady was shocked how badly they were done especially since the old color was still there.
Will be on a nail detox until after the bar and then I’ll treat myself again

• Sad
  • Heart

Colin

New nails for winter new nail tech too. Been hating my nails in Rome but I found a Moldovan girl. Need the eastern Europe aesthetic.
IMG_20221124_213409.jpg