Your accent

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My accent is meh. Grew up in south London and lived most of my adult life in East Kent. I sound very very “Thames estuary”. I miss an old London accent. All my grandparents lived (and died) in Lambeth and rarely do I hear that accent anymore unless it’s an old recording.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I love my accent I’ve got a Essex one but I’ve lived in the midlands for 15 years so I’ve got a mixed one. When I’ve been back to Essex people can tell cos I’m really cockney/ mockney but when i go down im really Brummy like which I hate lol as my husband says we are staffies (Staffordshire)

Reactions: 1
Do you like your accent? Wish you could change it ?
I am from greater London / Hertfordshire and speak with a pretty platonic English accent I would say ( modern Received Pronunciation) I’ve always thought it was bland but it’s easily understandable and sounds professional.

Started this mainly because I’ve been watching accent videos on YouTube and find it interesting also I have been told I subconsciously switch my voice to a bit more eloquent when speaking to strangers or customers, I’m not sure why could be a nervous thing. Anyone else do that ?
I’m from Hertfordshire and would describe my accent pretty much the same. I have also been told I do exactly the same! My other half calls it my work voice.
Went to uni with a load of northerners, and got called posh but I think I just have a fairly middle of the road Home Counties accent

I'm from South Cumbria, I've been told I have a lovely telephone voice. My accent is pretty non-eventful..I don't have any noticeable traits. I wish it was more interesting.

Reactions: 4
I don't think I have an accent but I sound pretty Yorkshire at times, usually when I'm with my dad.

I'm broad cumbrian..awful. would love an Irish or north east accent!
A friend of mine lives in Workington, and to be honest I can barely understand her once she's in full flow!

Needed explanations for words like "Lal", "jam eater", "hesta" and "scrattin" among many others!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I love the brummie accent!
Also love Scouse
And welsh

I think i'm fond of unique/very specific accents.

I have a general soft-ish lancashire accent, nothing special at all!

A friend of mine lives in Workington, and to be honest I can barely understand her once she's in full flow!

Needed explanations for words like "Lal", "jam eater", "hesta" and "scrattin" among many others!
Literally near me And I speak like that😂

Literally near me And I speak like that😂
Should I feel sorry for you? ;)

My friend also mentions something called "Uppies and Downies", which I think is some kind of ball game played between people from Workington and Whitehaven (great rivals apparently). She loves to get involved as there's barely any rules, but looks quite chaotic, lol

I'm from a very small town in Eastern Suffolk and I hate my accent! Whenever I hear somebody on the TV who is from Suffolk I cringe and hope my accent isn't that broad!

I used to work for a very large UK based holiday firm in the call centre and one thing I used to absolutely hate would be when I was talking to a customer and they'd say "you sound like a farmer". :mad:

I have a Dorset accent but compared to older people in Dorset it is very faint (a lot less farmer-like 😂 the older people sound like in Hot Fuzz here!)

My grandparents are from Dublin and I would love to have their accent, I think it sounds so lovely and find it quite calming!

I live in South Yorkshire, so most people have a Yorkshire accent, but there are strong variations even between villages. In the town in South Yorks where I grow up, we say things like 'home' 'phone', 'coal' normally. Where I live now, a mere 2 miles down the road, they say 'fern' 'herm' 'kerl'. The absolute weirdos :LOL: So all I hear about these days is 'kervid 19' and 'correrrnervirus'.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I have a Scottish accent. Not a west coast but East Coast but not posh.
I love a geordie accent and an Irish one.

scouse accent here!
Went to a welsh university and used to be constantly asked to say the phrase "COCO POPS THEY MAKE THE MILK SO CHOCOLATELY" and "CHICKEN NUGGETS" and they'd rip me to hell
however i'd say my accent is very tame in relation to some of the people i work with who even i struggle to understand due to how thick their accent is or how fast they talk in fast flowing conversations

Last edited:
I’ve got a cork accent. Boyfriend says it’s identical to the lads from young offenders. To be fair up until I was a teen we lived an estate up from where it’s filmed 😆😆

My own accent is pretty neutral, I think it comes from going to an international school.
However I find I take/mimic the accent of whoever I am talking to, so if I speak to an American I will slip into their accent etc. I unintentionally mirror others speech, accent, patterns, sounds , phrases. Anyone else do this?

Should I feel sorry for you? ;)

My friend also mentions something called "Uppies and Downies", which I think is some kind of ball game played between people from Workington and Whitehaven (great rivals apparently). She loves to get involved as there's barely any rules, but looks quite chaotic, lol
Never seen it but they do usually do a local news segment on it on our local news 😊

Do you like your accent? Wish you could change it ?
I am from greater London / Hertfordshire and speak with a pretty platonic English accent I would say ( modern Received Pronunciation) I’ve always thought it was bland but it’s easily understandable and sounds professional.

Started this mainly because I’ve been watching accent videos on YouTube and find it interesting also I have been told I subconsciously switch my voice to a bit more eloquent when speaking to strangers or customers, I’m not sure why could be a nervous thing. Anyone else do that ?
I hate my natural accent (South Yorkshire). I do change my accent when speaking in public or on the phone, especially around people who are not from the area. I also can't help impersonating other people's accents when speaking to them! Does anyone else do this?

I personally find the East Midlands accent very attractive on a man. There is a YouTube star called Tim Shieff and his accent is 😍.

I really can't stand when celebrities exadurate their accent on TV to gain popularity, i.e. Steph Mcgovern, Joe Swash, Linda Robson, Paddy McGuinness.

Last edited: