Worrying about Christmas(i know i know)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone else worrying about Christmas? With thr prices going up almost daily I'm starting to worry about the cost of things.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I know it's easy for me to say but I would recommend, only spending what you can afford. Your teens and youngest will honestly understand everything single thing you did for them when they are older.

Just be honest with them. This year things might have to be different. You could do one present each or you could do no presents. Do what's right for you.

Limit presents for extended family and friends too. For others you could do one family present instead of buying individually. This could just be a box of biscuits or a book. They will understand. if you tell them. I would hate for someone to get into debt for me. My closest friend earns x 4 what I do. He was still very grateful for a £25 gift card and a M&S fruit box. The old me honestly tried to keep up with what my then best friends were spending, but it got ridiculous. It's honestly not needed at all.

It was my brothers birthday a few days ago too. I didn't get him a present, just a birthday message. Gifts are nice but they don't mean you love the person any less.

Reactions: 4
If you start putting by £20-25 a week from now on til December, you'll have an extra £500 spare by Christmas

Reactions: 1
Yep! I've got a 10 year old (who's 11th birthday is 7 days before xmas, I timed that well 🙃) , a 7 year old and due my third in 4 weeks. The 10 year old has started asking for really expensive things like £80 Harry Potter lego and £70 avatar lego which is fine but that's a BIG chunk of his budget on just two presents. It was similar last year, I try to spend the same amount on each so his pile was so much smaller than his sisters, but anything I got her was £20 max 😬!

Like @rainbowlemon has said don't buy everyone just buy close family and friends. You could also start buying one gift a week/month so you haven't got to find the money all at once.

We do secret Santa for immediate family with a limit of £30. We’ve been doing it for a few years now and it works really well. Everyone comes up with a list of few small items they’d like so we don’t end up with tat or vouchers. The kids get presents but there‘s a £10 limit per child. Last year, I just made each of my nieces and nephews up a small bag with a little book or game and some stickers and sweets.

I only buy for my children, always have done (huge family - so it would cost a fortune otherwise)
I think I'm going to start buying now, I normally start buying mid September, but I'd rather get a little head start xx

Reactions: 2