Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
Hi everyone! I’ve had heavy periods since I started my period at 11 years old (young I know!). My mum always brushed it off as ‘normal’ as she said she experienced the same. I went to the doctors at 15 as the pain was crippling, I was losing a lot of blood and I was always underweight/really thin. At my appointment the doctor just pushed me onto birth control which I was prescribed but then decided against taking. I am now 22 years old and I’ve had chronic bloating for 3 years, my stomach is huge. I always experience pelvic pain and still have my period issues. Recently my periods have become irregular and my cycles are quite long (40 days on average) so I’ve been pushing for a diagnosis for 3 years. Back in December after being in agony with random pelvic pain, an out of hours doctor referred me for a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound. I waited till March for the results and was told they’d found that my myometrium wall was abnormally shaped and thickened. They suspected Adenomyosis. They told me there was nothing they could do besides book a repeat scan in a few months and see if there were any changes. I had my repeat scans three weeks ago now and I’m awaiting results. Last time I waited over three months so I don’t have much hope. I am terrified about my potential diagnosis and more than anything, I’m extremely worried about my fertility. My dream has been to have children my whole life and the fact that it could be difficult or not possible is consuming me. I’m also extremely worried about my health as despite all of this I’ve been told “not to worry” and it’s “not a big deal” by doctors. I’m fed up of feeling heavy and bloated all the time, I’m fed up of the crippling period pain and leakage and I’m fed up of begging to be taken seriously. I have no family support as I’m estranged from them so I’m very much alone. I hope there’s a light at the end of this tunnel.
are the tests and results you're getting back being done via. the gp or a gynae department at the hospital?? i found that when i was diagnosed with pcos the gp only suggested a referral once i had tried the combined pill which didn't agree with me hormonally or make a difference to my symptoms. i think you deserve better care either way - they're dismissing you when you have debilitating symptoms *and* a potential cause which i would really want investigating further!

(not saying you should try the pill btw but doctors often see referrals as a last resort when we should be listened to if it's clear something isn't right)

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
I guess so but I’m not sure. To be honest, if it’s a year from the colposcopy then I’d rather wait to give my body as long as possible to clear the HPV so I don’t have to keep doing this. I just wasn’t sure because I swear at the appointment they said a year from the colposcopy but the letter has confused me. Will of course ring my GP Monday but just wondered if anyone knew as it’s already stressing me out 😔
After my colposcopy I had smears yearly for quite a few years. I would just ring your GP practice and double check.

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
Based on experience I found that an abdominal scan was the normal over the tummy one and the pelvis one was internal🤔
i thought the same so the letter confused me tbh. big bold instructions for a full bladder though - don't want to cross them while they're wielding that probe ... 😬

Rosie glow

VIP Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wondered if anyone had had an aspiration biopsy before? I've done a lot of research and 99% of people say biopsies are awful. However most don't say which kind of biopsy it was as there is also hysteroscopy biopsy which is the more intensive option. Difference here: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/womb-cancer/getting-diagnosed/tests-diagnose/biopsy I mentioned to my GP that I wasn't keen on biopsy and she said how it wasn't horrible or invasive (I beg to differ) and that it was just a straw to suck up some cells. Has anyone had an aspiration biopsy and can advise on what it was like?
I replied to your thread

lasttime

You can have a normal shower!!!! Your just not meant to sit in a bath or in a swimming pool due to the risk of infection from being in water for any length of time. You can 100% just have no a regular shower and wash in the normal way.

Just use the shower attachment in the normal way to get your body wet/use shower gel and then rinse as normal.
That's the problem, I can't use the attachment without flooding my bathroom. It literally only ever gets used for washing my hair over the bath and for cleaning the bath.

I know this isn't financially possible for everyone. But I'd highly recommend going to a private clinic to get one done, if you can. I'd get extremely anxious and even after discussing how traumatic I found the experience with the nurse, I'd still find the whole thing horrible as the nurse wouldn't always be too empathetic ( I understand they're super busy and under pressure, but still)

I've found the experience of getting it done at my local private clinic so so much better. I still dread getting it done, but it's far more tolerable. x

Thanks for this x Can I ask what makes the difference at a private clinic?

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Hi everyone! I’ve had heavy periods since I started my period at 11 years old (young I know!). My mum always brushed it off as ‘normal’ as she said she experienced the same. I went to the doctors at 15 as the pain was crippling, I was losing a lot of blood and I was always underweight/really thin. At my appointment the doctor just pushed me onto birth control which I was prescribed but then decided against taking. I am now 22 years old and I’ve had chronic bloating for 3 years, my stomach is huge. I always experience pelvic pain and still have my period issues. Recently my periods have become irregular and my cycles are quite long (40 days on average) so I’ve been pushing for a diagnosis for 3 years. Back in December after being in agony with random pelvic pain, an out of hours doctor referred me for a transvaginal and abdominal ultrasound. I waited till March for the results and was told they’d found that my myometrium wall was abnormally shaped and thickened. They suspected Adenomyosis. They told me there was nothing they could do besides book a repeat scan in a few months and see if there were any changes. I had my repeat scans three weeks ago now and I’m awaiting results. Last time I waited over three months so I don’t have much hope. I am terrified about my potential diagnosis and more than anything, I’m extremely worried about my fertility. My dream has been to have children my whole life and the fact that it could be difficult or not possible is consuming me. I’m also extremely worried about my health as despite all of this I’ve been told “not to worry” and it’s “not a big deal” by doctors. I’m fed up of feeling heavy and bloated all the time, I’m fed up of the crippling period pain and leakage and I’m fed up of begging to be taken seriously. I have no family support as I’m estranged from them so I’m very much alone. I hope there’s a light at the end of this tunnel.
Have you tried any of the contraceptives on offer to see if they can relieve your symptoms and help you to manage your condition? If these can help, then it must be worth a try to give you a better quality of life?

skvallertant

Chatty Member
Thought I’d give an update. So, I’m no longer having the awful pains as intense / constant as before however I do still feel them when I’m resting. I think I’ve just learnt to deal with the pain now and can kind of ignore it whenever I’m pottering about 🤷🏼‍♀️

I haven’t had a period since February and I am not pregnant. I contacted my GP last week and mentioned that the scan I had back in Dec 2020, there seemed to be an issue in regards to me having not eaten beforehand (as the letter had stated) and my GP was quite confused as to why the sonographer would have mentioned this, as an empty stomach shouldn’t effect the scan itself, it’s a full bladder which is needed (which I did have!). She looked at the scan results and confirmed that the results were normal. Anyway, I mentioned that I’ve not had a period in two months and that I am still experiencing these cramps that I’ve been having for months. All my GP advised me to do was to log any symptoms that I get and come back to them if things get worse. I’ve got to at least wait a year if my period still hasn’t returned for them to be able to look into it any further. I’m just such a hypochondriac when it comes to health so I’m just left thinking about it daily which makes me stressed / anxious. I’ve not had any random bleeding, unusual discharge etc just to add.
I'm glad to hear your results were normal. Definitely keep a diary of your symptoms. Have you asked your gp about the anxiety it's causing you? I hope you feel better soon. ❤

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Im really sorry to hear about what you’re going through :( it seems cruel they make you wait so long for a diagnosis or results…have you considered going private?

I’ve been invited in for a coloscopy because I’m HPV positive and also low grade changes. Feel very worried
I was the same, it's so worrying but best to think it's better to catch anything early on. just booked my smear for a week on Monday so will find out what changes have happened since last year. Feeling quite calm about it now but think that will change once I'm waiting for results and no doubt the follow up coloscopy again.

The actual colposcopy was fine, I was in a room with a few nurses, they kept me busy chatting during the procedure to keep my mind off it, and were able to tell me there and then there was nothing to worry about and to come back in a year so over all it wasn't the worst experience I've had. x

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
I’ve had an internal US. It wasn’t awful. They will use lube on the ultrasound wand and it’s usually the size/length of a tampon and has a condom like cover over it. Just try to relax, deep breaths in & out and think of something else to keep your body nice and relaxed. You’ll be fine 👍
thank you!! i googled it (i know) and some of the wands looked like a forearm 😬 so this has really reassured me

Walkdengirl

VIP Member
Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.
I've had a few mirenas over the years, it's hormonal but a very low dose.

I loved mine, my periods stopped and I had no pmt

Meangirl815

VIP Member
Hi
New to this thread.

Didn't know it existed.

Ah man i am going through hell at the minute.
Back story i had severe PMDD (think pms on steroids) that eventually led me to having a hysterectomy with ovaries, cervix and uterus removed.

This was in March 2019.
I am still struggling with getting my hormones balanced with HRT.

PMDD is caused by bad reactions to normal hormone changes.
My hormones are still going crazy.

HRT tried so far.... Patches. I am allergic and they dump all the estrogen quickly rather than lasting the 4 days they are supposed to

Gel- it just doesn't absorb 🤷‍♀️

Oral - love it. Worked well. No longer working. I don't know why. I really need to know why.

So yeah. Not looking for advice really. I just wanted somewhere to write this down.

Going to read through the posts now. Hope everyone is well

Candycrush

Chatty Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wondered if anyone had had an aspiration biopsy before? I've done a lot of research and 99% of people say biopsies are awful. However most don't say which kind of biopsy it was as there is also hysteroscopy biopsy which is the more intensive option. Difference here: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/womb-cancer/getting-diagnosed/tests-diagnose/biopsy I mentioned to my GP that I wasn't keen on biopsy and she said how it wasn't horrible or invasive (I beg to differ) and that it was just a straw to suck up some cells. Has anyone had an aspiration biopsy and can advise on what it was like?

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Have been reading but not posting. Wondering has anyone actually had a smear that showed HPV, gone back the next year, and it's been clear the second time?
I have to have the second one soon and I'm worried about the colposcopy, smears are traumatic enough for me for reasons I won't disclose, but I think a colposcopy would push me over the edge. Haven't ever heard of anyone who did have the HPV gone by the second smear though :(

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Yeah that's what I've read/heard from others I just got into a pure tizz about it. Where did you order your mushroom extract from? I hope everything resolves itself for you ❤❤ I don't even want the stupid organs down there 😫 don't want kids ever and periods make me SO depressed so can't they just like whack it out? Tad extreme maybe lol
I just get it from Amazon but it costs a fortune :( I'm the exact same, we have a history of ovarian cancer in my family and I have endo, don't want kids, wish they'd just take literally everything out. So stressful, I know how you feel ❤

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
But first and foremost she needs to know what is causing these symptoms, not least to know whether it needs future monitoring etc? Sticking women on the pill isn't the answer, it's lazy medicine
It’s suspected to be adenomyosis right? Which means the treatment options are management of symptoms with medication which is contraception medication or a hysterectomy. It’s not “lazy medicine” if there has been a diagnosis and there are only limited options manage symptoms. What other options are there??