Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Base2019

VIP Member
Just came to update as I had my colposcopy today. First of all I felt a lot better because you all shared with me what would happen so thank you ♥ I got a bit nervous and tearful so I did say about my history which really helped. I’ve had 3 smears and I find when you tell them they are much gentler/nicer which I do think is a con as it should be this way for ALL women in my opinion, but yeah that was helpful.
What I really wanted to say though for anyone worrying is that this was less painful than a smear for me, which I was very surprised about. I did not need to even have a biopsy but the speculum didn’t hurt me at all when usually they do, and when she said you’ll feel a sting I felt nothing. I wouldn’t have even known she was putting the vinegar stuff on had I not been watching the screen, I couldn’t feel it at all. I think the stirrups made the whole thing more comfortable as well. I also did not need a gown, I kept my skirt on, and I didn’t have a pregnancy test.
So I’m back in a year from now for another smear and thank you all again so much ♥ I hadn’t told any of my IRL friends about this as I didn’t want them to be flapping etc so I’m grateful to have had people to talk to!

ETA: forgot to say I did some research and shiitake mushroom extract has been weirdly promising at clearing HPV in clinical trials. I’m really not into alternative medicine (genuinely no offence intended to anyone who is) and you could say the body would’ve cleared it anyway…but there was a trial of 10 women who took 3G a day for 6 months, after 6 months 5 of them (so 50%) had totally cleared it and another 3 cleared it after a couple more months. Like I say you might be sceptical and think it would’ve gone anyway but those are pretty good odds to me and worth trying something that is pretty inexpensive if you’ve got HPV coming up all the time, I’ve ordered some anyway!
So glad to read this 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
So, new to this thread and looking for advice. I have been on the progesterone only pill for 20 years for heavy periods (I can’t take the normal pill because I get cluster headaches).

Smears have always been an issue and I have only had one which was never completed due to the pain (I am gay and have never had sex with a man- sorry for tmi,but trying to give context).

For five months I have been getting my periods again on a two- three week cycle (😔) so was referred for a smear which again couldn’t be done even with the smallest speculum. The nurse gave up and gave me the swab to do myself. I left in tears.

I have a colposcopy on Tuesday and am terrified but today my period started again. I don’t know what to expect or even if they can do it if I am bleeding. I am in the middle of a massive cluster with my headaches and not seeing things clearly. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks 🥺

• Heart

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
i'm due an internal ultrasound to check if i have an ovarian cyst - i'm on progesterone only pill and havent had periods in a few years (baaad periods due to pcos so on a higher pill dose to stop them) and i'm kinda petrified. but that's probs bc i'm a 20 yr old virgin ... lol
basically has anyone had one that wasn't awful??
I’ve had an internal US. It wasn’t awful. They will use lube on the ultrasound wand and it’s usually the size/length of a tampon and has a condom like cover over it. Just try to relax, deep breaths in & out and think of something else to keep your body nice and relaxed. You’ll be fine 👍

• Heart
I just had an appointment last week with a gynecologist for an ovarian cyst that showed up on a hip MRI ordered from my rheumatologist. (It's been hurting for months now, but the mri was to check for arthritis issues). I haven't had pelvic exams/pap smears in over 9 years due to PTSD from sexual assault. I messaged the gyn beforehand asking about sedation, like a Valium. The office said to speak with the doctor when I come in so I did. She was so dismissive of every thing I had to say and treated me like I was just a drug seeker. She refused meds so I refused any exams. It took a lot for me to even be able to show up to seek help and being treated like that just felt like a "fuck you just get over it" especially from a female dr too. I won't go back to her office and unless my pain gets worse to the point I can't handle it, I don't think I'll be going back to any gynecologist.

So sorry to hear this.

I had similar when I was booked for a vaginal ultrasound for ovarian pain. I couldn't take it and she was really, really rude and dismissive. In the end, another lovely registrar agreed to do a thorough ultrasound and sent me away to drink several pints of water and then come back (!) Women should NOT have to put up with this and in some cases, we simply cannot bear it and alternatives should be available.

Monkeymagic85

Chatty Member
hi again! i'm a lot less stressed about the actual procedure but does anyone know how long an appointment for an internal ultrasound would usually take to come through? it's been about six weeks since the main pain that triggered this line of thinking and still not heard anything about a scan. i had a general consultant appt with gynae but they said the scan would be a separate referral and maybe not with them.

i think because my past attempts at getting answers were a struggle i don't want to be made out to be overreacting about the pain i was in. If i've understood the point of the scan correctly it'll probs be less and less likely there's fluid / anything remaining that would indicate a cyst was there and ruptured if i wait much longer?? or maybe i'm completely wrong!
I think the NHS is pretty overwhelmed at the moment so may be a while for your referral. You could always give your consultant a call and ask? Or can you afford a private scan? Mine was less than £300.

I just had my follow up for my cyst on Friday, it was a couple of months since I had my first scan and my cyst is still there, I don't think they always disappear.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
With respect, it can be impossible to 'relax' on this occasion.
Why though? I found it easy to relax right from my first smear as have everyone I know that has them. It's over very quickly and it doesn't hurt, so if you go in with that mindset then you'd find it easier to relax.

If more people stated it doesn't hurt etc then more women would have them instead of those who are scared not going for them. Sorry but I have a family member who died from Cervical Cancer because she was too scared to have her smears, so my advice is to have them and not fear them.

• Heart

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
That's the problem, I can't use the attachment without flooding my bathroom. It literally only ever gets used for washing my hair over the bath and for cleaning the bath.
Just sit down in the bath tub and use the shower attachment to wash yourself down.

bongsandstuff

Chatty Member
i thought the same so the letter confused me tbh. big bold instructions for a full bladder though - don't want to cross them while they're wielding that probe ... 😬
Yes so I go in with a full bladder and they do the abdominal first and then they allow you to go to the toilet before the internal🤔 I’ve had 2x ultrasounds but I was told the internal was optional at my last appointment and asked if I wanted it! The one before didn’t seem like there was an option so I guess it differs!

Lola UK

VIP Member
Did you get seen? I was really lucky, I rang for an app on Friday and was seen today!!

Glad it’s all done, just waiting on results now. She said there’s a delay and results are taking 6-8 weeks now, not sure if that’s everywhere though!

Fanny Muchmore

VIP Member
i'm due an internal ultrasound to check if i have an ovarian cyst - i'm on progesterone only pill and havent had periods in a few years (baaad periods due to pcos so on a higher pill dose to stop them) and i'm kinda petrified. but that's probs bc i'm a 20 yr old virgin ... lol
basically has anyone had one that wasn't awful??
I've had an internal ultrasound and although I have vaginismus and vulvadynia, I actually found it to be OK. I did some deep breathing to relax me beforehand, and the wand - which was a long, slim device with a condom-like cover on it, slathered in LOTS of lube - slipped in without pain or problem.

I know it's easy enough to just say 'relax', but honestly you will be fine. Just breathe slowly in and out. Concentrate on that and it will be over before you know it.

I'm also on progesterone only pill for PCOS :)

• Heart

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Just came to update as I had my colposcopy today. First of all I felt a lot better because you all shared with me what would happen so thank you ♥ I got a bit nervous and tearful so I did say about my history which really helped. I’ve had 3 smears and I find when you tell them they are much gentler/nicer which I do think is a con as it should be this way for ALL women in my opinion, but yeah that was helpful.
What I really wanted to say though for anyone worrying is that this was less painful than a smear for me, which I was very surprised about. I did not need to even have a biopsy but the speculum didn’t hurt me at all when usually they do, and when she said you’ll feel a sting I felt nothing. I wouldn’t have even known she was putting the vinegar stuff on had I not been watching the screen, I couldn’t feel it at all. I think the stirrups made the whole thing more comfortable as well. I also did not need a gown, I kept my skirt on, and I didn’t have a pregnancy test.
So I’m back in a year from now for another smear and thank you all again so much ♥ I hadn’t told any of my IRL friends about this as I didn’t want them to be flapping etc so I’m grateful to have had people to talk to!

ETA: forgot to say I did some research and shiitake mushroom extract has been weirdly promising at clearing HPV in clinical trials. I’m really not into alternative medicine (genuinely no offence intended to anyone who is) and you could say the body would’ve cleared it anyway…but there was a trial of 10 women who took 3G a day for 6 months, after 6 months 5 of them (so 50%) had totally cleared it and another 3 cleared it after a couple more months. Like I say you might be sceptical and think it would’ve gone anyway but those are pretty good odds to me and worth trying something that is pretty inexpensive if you’ve got HPV coming up all the time, I’ve ordered some anyway!
Well done mate, glad you got through it ok today! ❤

• Heart

pommynoir

VIP Member
I’ve had LLETZ (also known as LEEP). Same situation as yourself, had CIN2 abnormal cells and HPV. It was ok, a bit uncomfortable but not painful. Had some cramping afterwards which I expected and was no worse than period pains. However.. the smell. I’m not sure if everyone experiences this or just some people by my god there is a horrendous smelling discharge that happens due to the procedure. I’d say it took a good 3 weeks for me to go ‘back to normal’ again but I’m sure this will differ for everyone. Luckily I worked from home at the time so didn’t need to be around people, but the smell really is terrible.

I have a long history with smears and abnormal cells though with my first being at 20 (when Scotland lowered the age for a while) and being on 3 month, 6 month and yearly recalls since. Thankfully after the LLETZ procedure I got the all clear and don’t need to have another one for 5 years when I’ll be in my mid 30s. I’d endure that smell all over again than risk it becoming anything worse. I think you’ll be ok after a month.
Thank you so much for this, it does make me feel better. Except that I’ve my first dress fitting two days later - I don’t want to be smelly for it 🤣🤣. I’ve recently moved to the UK and will be going home to Ireland for dress fittings and for the procedure so I can’t actually rearrange the dress fitting.
I’m scared to leave it though, as we’ve two honeymoons planned, a mini moon for directly after then we have November and then travelling for the month of December so I’d have to rearrange for the new year. 6 months after the colposcopy and 9 months after the smear.

i know deep down this is more important but the chances are it’s probably nothing and I feel like it’s going to disrupt what I’ve had planned for the last two years, and spent a small fortune on 😭😭. (I do realise I’m probably being a spoilt brat)

BettyCrockerr

VIP Member
Hi all, wondering if anyone has had similar? I had a smear last Jan & it came back HPV positive and low grade dyskaryosis.
I was due my colposcopy April 2021 but I was pregnant so it couldn't go ahead. The consultant had a look at my cervix and said she doesn't think its low grade due to the spread of cells around my cervix, she said it was mild to high & she'll see me once I've delivered. After a lot of pushing I finally have the colposcopy tomorrow and now I'm slightly worried it may have gotten worse over the year. What does the colposcopy usually entail? What further treatment is next if it is high grade?
I posted this on this thread previously

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Im ok about smears fortunately, I do end up putting off actually booking it for a couple of months but the fear of not detecting something spurs me to do it in the end. It’s awkward for a few minutes then I can get on with my day. I think what helped me personally was giving birth twice. It really helped me get past that barrier of feeling embarrassed because you realise the nurses really have seen it all and they don’t care. I had a room full of people looking at and poking around my downstairs at one point during labour, after that a smear seems like small fries. I have so much sympathy for women who have fears and anxieties around smears, I’m very similar when it comes to procedures involving blood.

The one I’m struggling with now is sorting my implant out. It needs to be replaced as I’m quite a while past 3 years now. I’m just freaked out about the procedure of getting the old one out and them putting a new one in🤢 if I could be put under general for it then it would be fine but obviously that’s ott for such a small and quick procedure. I just think I’m going to faint or be sick and make it into a whole drama. Add to that the current situation, and I don’t even know if my doctors surgery is open or what the procedures are or which just makes me put it off for even longer. I know it needs to be done but it’s so daunting.
getting the implant out is easy, don’t sweat it.

they give you a local anaesthetic to numb your arm so you don’t feel anything. You just lay with your arm out, turn your head away if you want, and they do it. It take a few minutes and it’s not sore, sometimes you can feel pressure on your arm - as if someone is kneeling on it!!! But it’s not painful. Then they put a few steri strips on it and wrap a bandage around it and your done. Or if you are having a new one in, they do it at the same time. Quick & easy!

Base2019

VIP Member
In case anyone's wondering - spoken to a GP today who won't prescribe Diazepam, apparently it's 'not done anymore' and shouldn't be asked for. So I'm not very happy about that. Debating paying for a private GP appointment and seeing if they say otherwise but not sure if it's worth it for £100 odd quid. She is prescribing me naproxen which I've not had before and said I could have co-codamol OTC with it. I've got some leftover codeine at home anyway so wondering if that would do.
Really need to stop reading horror stories online, I'm worried I'll talk myself out of it. Have barely told anyone I know because I don't want to hear the usual 'it'll save your life' 'it's not that bad.' Or the real kicker - 'it's nothing compared to birth' which I haven't done and don't intend to, so why on earth anyone thinks that's helpful I will never know! I do think the abject lack of understanding towards people who have been assaulted and so find all this much more difficult is just horrendous, and if I feel like that having what most would consider a 'legitimate reason' for fear and panic then god only knows how other women are treated (for the record my personal view is it's very invasive and so fear/worry is totally valid for everyone anyway)
Find it very interesting that LLETZ is done under general in America and we're expected to just put up with cervix injections here.
I’m really sorry they weren’t helpful at all 🥺 makes me so cross. Are you in the UK? Can you request a female nurse there to make the appointment and maybe speak to beforehand? I’m really sorry you have to go through all this 😞

P.s be careful with naproxen esp if you have a sensitive stomach.

Welsh1

Glad to see a thread about this. I've got to bite the bullet and book an appt. My periods are just so heavy it's getting me down. I've had to stay in today as I'm worried about leaking whilst I'm out. Has anyone had any experience of this. Hormonal contraception is a no no for me and all I keep getting suggested is the mirena coil.
I'm also unable to take hormonal contraception so my only option was the copper coil & I can't wait to get it removed! My periods are horrific but please remember that all contraception affects people in different ways.

hey there! I never usually comment but I’ve just read your post and felt the need to reply!

I had exactly the same issue last year. I was bleeding on and off inbetween my periods for about 6 months but I’d come off the pill and assumed it was hormone related. I eventually booked an appointment with my GP who referred me to have an internal and external ultrasound. During this appointment I was told that everything was fine and not to worry at all. Obviously if you’re told that by the hospital, you tend to want to believe them! annoyingly over the next few months the issue persisted and I became more concerned. I am really lucky because I have private healthcare through my job and decided to pay the excess and use it. I got an appointment with a gynaecologist and she took one look at my cervix and said “you have a bad case of cervical ectropion”. I would have been petrified but had been following a gynaecologist on Insta called Gynae Geek (highly recommend following her) who had mentioned the condition in a post. she told me I could be treated then and there by painting a chemical on my cervix which would cauterise the bleeding. It didn’t hurt at all, I just had some cramping afterwards. She also carried out a smear test as a precaution and told me that if the bleeding symptoms reoccurred then I may need another procedure done but this time involving the use of heat to “burn” the tissue away.

Anyway I had some improvement but the bleeding again happened 2 months down the line. Annoyingly my smear also came back abnormal which freaked me out massively as I assumed it was due to the ectropion and convinced myself I actually had cancer. To cut a long story short I was referred to another gynaecologist. He performed the colposcopy etc and assured me there is NO LINK between ectropion and cervical cancer. Those results came back clear and then I was booked in to have the cervical tissue cauterised using heat. This procedure involved a local anaesthetic in my cervix which stung a little bit but was otherwise fine. They then “burnt” my cervix using a small device which emits heat. It took about 20 mins. It didn’t hurt at all, just felt weirdly warm around my groin area. I was fine afterwards, had some period type pains but managed to get the tube home by myself. Since then touch wood I’ve had absolutely no bleeding. It totally sorted out the issue.

To sum it up, please don’t be scared to attend your Smear due to your ectropion! They are completely unrelated and it does not put you at risk of having abnormal cell changes. Also if your bleeding is persisting and bothering you, pester them for further treatment because it isn’t something you should have to put up with. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to medical procedures but honestly the treatment was worth it to now be without abnormal bleeding. Hope this helps!
I received cold coagulation in September for an ectropion as I've bled every day since 6th October last year and this treatment hasn't helped at all. I dont even know what a period is anymore as I bleed everyday, its making me miserable. Im going to contact them again for further treatment.

• Sad

ATV2021

VIP Member
I had a HPV positive (no abnormal cells) result this time and I've been so panicked about it 😫 I'm going to try the shiitake mushroom extract as, well it can't hurt, and I'm worried my immune system is focused on covid and not the HPV so I wanna give it a booster! Cancer is my biggest fear as it took my Mum (not a related cancer though and a non genetic form of BC). I know so many people who've had HPV+ but it just looks bloody terrifying on paper. I've never missed a ST either and barely ever have sex with anyone so in like 😪

• Sad

Souffle

Chatty Member
This happened to me, I've had hpv show up three years in a row and I'm having a colposcopy in a few weeks. I'm quite nervous, but it's very common apparently and it doesn't mean you have cancer. I wouldn't imagine it would be related to your period, but I'm sorry to hear you're suffering so badly 😞
Yes I can imagine you’re nervous. I hope it goes ok for you x