William and Kate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She WAS middle class. Now she and Wills want people to think they are middle class just like them, so relatable, look at us in our all weather gear at the beach, nothing to see here but a typical mc family!
They didn’t seem very middle class when they were in Mustique three times a year, then Ibiza and of course skiing. Being confined to the UK has brought them down to earth a tiny bit (while living in their two massive gifted residences)

Reactions: 10
They didn’t seem very middle class when they were in Mustique three times a year, then Ibiza and of course skiing. Being confined to the UK has brought them down to earth a tiny bit (while living in their two massive gifted residences)
I think their PR teams have advised them very strongly to be down to earth. So they are carefully posing as middle class whilst living in a country pile and 20 room apartment in a Palace in London.

Kate has never been bog standard middle class, 'upper middle' yes. The Middleton's have been around a while, been entertaining members of the Royal Family since the 1920s, she went to a very good school, speaks with a perceived English accent long before meeting William et al so never your standard middle class.

Reactions: 3
Kate has never been bog standard middle class, 'upper middle' yes. The Middleton's have been around a while, been entertaining members of the Royal Family since the 1920s, she went to a very good school, speaks with a perceived English accent long before meeting William et al so never your standard middle class.
Yes they would have still gone to Waitrose but wouldn't be buying their clothes in M&S which is more middle or lower middle class. Her Dad is upper middle class and her social climbing mother is at best lower middle or even working class ancestry.

Reactions: 4
I had no idea her father married 'beneath himself' ? Still, bringing in fresh blood helps the family DNA stay healthy I suppose.

Whats the pay bands these days to indicate your rung on the social ladder? Any ideas anyone?

I had no idea her father married 'beneath himself' ? Still, bringing in fresh blood helps the family DNA stay healthy I suppose.

Whats the pay bands these days to indicate your rung on the social ladder? Any ideas anyone?
This is a few years old now, but gives a rough guide to the class system. I believe that the threshold for lower middle class is now something like a household income of over £50k but there also has to be a certain percentage of disposable income and savings, so the threshold will be lower in areas which have a cheaper cost of living and higher somewhere like London where everything costs stupid amounts.

Attachments

What a load of old shite. Your class isn't about just money.
Her parents aren't upper middle class, they were working class and worked their way up to middle class.

She didn't have that accent prior to university, her siblings and parents don't have it.

Her mum was an air hostess. They built up some money from having their party pieces store. Im pretty sure once the daughter started dating a Prince, their business was going to grow exponentially as everyone wanted to order from them.
I still find it hilarious at how she out poshes most of the royals with her new found accent.
She speaks as if she's wearing someone else's teeth and her arms whizz about like windmill blades.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I remember Kates accent change. She's posher than the Royals now.

Somewhat ironic as she has none of this blue blood that apparently elevates them to engorged privilege status.

Reactions: 3
What a load of old shite. Your class isn't about just money.
Her parents aren't upper middle class, they were working class and worked their way up to middle class.

She didn't have that accent prior to university, her siblings and parents don't have it.

Her mum was an air hostess. They built up some money from having their party pieces store. Im pretty sure once the daughter started dating a Prince, their business was going to grow exponentially as everyone wanted to order from them.
I still find it hilarious at how she out poshes most of the royals with her new found accent.
She speaks as if she's wearing someone else's teeth and her arms whizz about like windmill blades.
Her Dad comes from a wealthy family with aristocratic connections, Carole was from a working class background. Carol e is a social climber and I doubt if the would have been able to afford the house to they live in or send their kids to public schools just on the back of their party planning business. He had a lot of wealth behind him that's why Carol married him. Michael Middleton speaks with a cut glass upper middle class accent. What did Kate sound like before she met William then? Like Barbara Windsor? Or Cheryl Coles?

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Her Dad comes from a wealthy family with aristocratic connections, Carole was from a working class background. Carol e is a social climber and I doubt if the would have been able to afford the house to they live in or send their kids to public schools just on the back of their party planning business. He had a lot of wealth behind him that's why Carol married him. Michael Middleton speaks with a cut glass upper middle class accent. What did Kate sound like before she met William then? Like Barbara Windsor? Or Cheryl Coles?
How do you know Carol only married him for money? Are you a relative? It's hugely misogynistic for people to keep the trope going that women only marry for money. It's 2021.

Yup, Michael is solidly middle-class and I understand that the children's school fees came from a family trust; I doubt that they would have been able to pay them just on his salary at the time. Carole is from a working class background. Kate had a fairly standard public school accent like her father but has definitely stepped it up and now outposhes her husband.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Has her accent changed? She went to the same school as Miranda Hart and thats the sort of Received Pronunciation accent the pupils pick up.

So her mom's a 'social climber' and only married him for his money LOL what a load of completely unfounded nonsense, the sort of view a 'glass half empty' type of person may perceive, I'm more the the 'glass half full' sort of fella and think 'Well done that woman' for meeting a guy, marrying, raising well balanced children and being in that family, a hands on sort of woman (and husband) and I'm happy for her and the family she created.

In my decade in the Army I worked with some officers who came from wealthy/private school families and to be honest they were some of the most well grounded and hard working people I've ever worked me. The so called upper class get a bad press for much of the time.

Reactions: 12
Has her accent changed? She went to the same school as Miranda Hart and thats the sort of Received Pronunciation accent the pupils pick up.
I noticed it. It went from what I would say is a middle class accent to a very put on posh accent. It always grinds on me and sounds fake

• Angry
Reactions: 5
I do think it sounds strained but maybe she felt she had to make her voice posher due who she was dating/marrying. I mean lots of people made comments about her social class both in the press and the staff at the Firm. Doesn’t surprise me she felt a bit awkward and uncomfortable.

Reactions: 6
On the topic of accents, it is possible that her accent has changed as a reflection of the people who now surround her. When I was a child, I sounded like I came from the east end of London. Then I went to a secondary school where I was surrounded by very affluent students who all spoke much better than I did. As a result, I lost my original accent and now sound like a combination of RP and Estuary English. It varies depending on who I'm talking to though and sometimes different bits creep in.
It’s possible that when she was being prepared for the engagement announcement etc there may have been some elocution lessons as well as instruction regarding how to make a speech. All of that would have impacted how she sounds.

Reactions: 8
On the topic of accents, it is possible that her accent has changed as a reflection of the people who now surround her. When I was a child, I sounded like I came from the east end of London. Then I went to a secondary school where I was surrounded by very affluent students who all spoke much better than I did. As a result, I lost my original accent and now sound like a combination of RP and Estuary English. It varies depending on who I'm talking to though and sometimes different bits creep in.
It’s possible that when she was being prepared for the engagement announcement etc there may have been some elocution lessons as well as instruction regarding how to make a speech. All of that would have impacted how she sounds.
I agree with this. Most of the times we hear her speak is when she is giving some kind of speech, so the way she talks is slow and considered, and she will certainly have been given training on how to speak in public.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.