Who wants to go to the office?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know, I'm dreading it. Everybody else apart from my husband has been in for a few days, even our head office. Because we're the call centre they seem to think we have to be in the office, taking calls from home has been fine. Just hope to god nobody gets sick.
This is similar to my employer, they are sending the phone teams back first but back office teams like me are going back later. I really think it’s unfair since the whole company have proven we can work from home with no issues. I do believe it’s so they can micro manage us. The date of return has been pushed back 3 times now due to the Scottish government guidelines changing and for now the office return is ‘on hold’

What really pisses me off is the sales team aren’t coming back at all due to the size of our offices being quite small. I feel like going to my HR department and asking why their health is being prioritised over my team and the phone teams who will be going back.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
My boss is leaving this month and we are yet to get a replacement, however my boss’s boss is chomping at the bit to micromanage us in the interim so I’m expecting we’ll suddenly be asked in the the next couple of weeks. Our boss kept him at arm’s length all this time but i just know it’s all about to change.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
What really pisses me off is the sales team aren’t coming back at all due to the size of our offices being quite small. I feel like going to my HR department and asking why their health is being prioritised over my team and the phone teams who will be going back.
I would be doing exactly that if my company were trying to pull that move. Do you feel like you can actually challenge them on it?

my manager and hr were talking about how ridiculous it is that anyone works from home anymore (regarding the civil service debate) I don't get how they are so stuck in the past

I would be doing exactly that if my company were trying to pull that move. Do you feel like you can actually challenge them on it?
My department have followed government guidelines, as soon as wfh was down to the employer and social distancing was scrapped, they were desperate to get us back. We can't challenge anything, we're a small team of 40 people, they are all friends on social media and go out a lot. They've seen people in the pub, at concerts and on holiday. As a team we can't ask not to come back and then carry on as normal when we're not in.

Last edited:
Just had an interesting chat with my team leader. We can raise any concerns about working in the office but it won't make any difference. She agreed that its not ideal that we're all back in but we haven't got any choice as the evening phone lines have to be open. They know that several staff members haven't had the vaccine and they don't care. I just hope nobody gets ill.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
When I asked my manager they said our department is the core area of the business which is why we’re the ones to go back.

I would be more than happy to go to HR and raise my concerns but I am going to hold off until we get an update on when we will be returning and see if the plans change with regards to the sales team and who’s going back when.

Reactions: 2
It's mid-August and suddenly, all the talks about going back to the office in September and the Excel spreadsheets have disappeared. They don't have a clue what they're doing over here.

Reactions: 6
my office deals with loads of different companiesand every time we mention we are all back in office full time they are shocked, none of them are ever going back full time to the office

Reactions: 6
According to the FT:

"China is experiencing its worst coronavirus outbreak since the virus first emerged last year, adding to concerns about the quality of its domestically developed vaccines."

Now, granted, China is using different vaccines and their efficacity is questionable, but the Delta variant is as much of a concern as the original outbreak.

Parts of Australia are in lockdown, touristy areas in France such as Corsica/South have actioned emergency plans because of a fourth wave and Governments our this side of the continent think the reopening of bars + pubs + entertainment + return to office in August/September a good idea.

What makes us think the Delta variant won't be a greater concern comes autumn? After all, people are still catching COVID even if fully vaxed. There's never going to be a "return to normal". New variants are going to keep emerging and we'll have to live with this virus moving forward, but from the looks of it, they claimed victory far too soon. It takes one person in the office to catch it and for the office to ring the alarm bells again. All I know is that I don't want to be that person, so I'm staying put.

That's my perspective, don't throw rocks at me.

According to the FT:

"China is experiencing its worst coronavirus outbreak since the virus first emerged last year, adding to concerns about the quality of its domestically developed vaccines."

Now, granted, China is using different vaccines and their efficacity is questionable, but the Delta variant is as much of a concern as the original outbreak.

Parts of Australia are in lockdown, touristy areas in France such as Corsica/South have actioned emergency plans because of a fourth wave and Governments our this side of the continent think the reopening of bars + pubs + entertainment + return to office in August/September a good idea.

What makes us think the Delta variant won't be a greater concern comes autumn? After all, people are still catching COVID even if fully vaxed. There's never going to be a "return to normal". New variants are going to keep emerging and we'll have to live with this virus moving forward, but from the looks of it, they claimed victory far too soon. It takes one person in the office to catch it and for the office to ring the alarm bells again. All I know is that I don't want to be that person, so I'm staying put.

That's my perspective, don't throw rocks at me.
I completely agree with you. I said today what happens if we have staff getting ill. My TL just said, double jabbed won't have to isolate after 16th August. They literally don't give a tit. We'll be working from the same laptop as I'm using now, but from my desk in the office, working the same hours I'm doing now. It doesn't make sense.

This thread has gone a bit quiet!! Just wanted to wish a safe return to anybody that is now back in or will shortly be returning. Keep us posted on how things are working out.

Reactions: 5
This thread has gone a bit quiet!! Just wanted to wish a safe return to anybody that is now back in or will shortly be returning. Keep us posted on how things are working out.
I just got a job offer, salary okay (I probably get lesser now than before since I won’t be getting any bonus) but the fact that I don’t need to commute to work and work in an office just make me happy.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I just got a job offer, salary okay (I probably get lesser now than before since I won’t be getting any bonus) but the fact that I don’t need to commute to work and work in an office just make me happy.
Thats great news, congratulations

Congrats Jaymie!!

Reactions: 1
After spending a few days back on the mway, no, I don't want to go back to the office 🙄 air con is always on full blast as well and I sit there freezing! At least at home I'm in control of the temperature and get good coffee!

• Heart
we have started having clients visiting the office now, loads of people coming and going with no masks, awful. Also one of my colleagues in the office with an awful cough, should have been sent home imo, of course she wasn't. My priority in any new job search will be a workplace that doesn't act like this

• Angry
After spending a few days back on the mway, no, I don't want to go back to the office 🙄 air con is always on full blast as well and I sit there freezing! At least at home I'm in control of the temperature and get good coffee!
I don't blame you, I hate motorway driving. I think most of us are used to being at home now.

we have started having clients visiting the office now, loads of people coming and going with no masks, awful. Also one of my colleagues in the office with an awful cough, should have been sent home imo, of course she wasn't. My priority in any new job search will be a workplace that doesn't act like this
I'm looking too. I've had had to take a test in the last few days. I've got colleagues that are off ill with covid and my employer doesn't give a tit. Your colleague needs to get a test.

Reactions: 2
omg totally agree about the coffee! my coffee machine is probably my most used kitchen appliance, at work we have some kind of knock of nespresso maker which is crap. We don't have air con but my colleagues constantly have all of the office fans on, regarless of the fact that the windows are open and it is not even warm

Reactions: 1
Our company has definitely gone mental.

First, they created all this havoc in early July over the return to office in September/October (Excel spreadsheets with lists on who is returning when, asking about preferences etc). Then suddenly, they went completely quiet. Its been a month and a half, no further update when they supposedly wanted to start bringing people back in September. Local management has suddenly stopped all talks about coming back. London management is saying this is on a "voluntary" basis. Fine, but we're in Ireland, so what's the story?

Anyways. Yesterday, they performed a forced upgrade on our systems. I logged back in only to realize they installed a clock in/clock out system that wasn't there before. As soon as you log in, a small window pops up with your employee ID, name, function, "Shift start time: 9am" and automatically records your login time. It's beyond belief they decided to set this up to begin with, but it's even more nonsensical that this is being implemented 18 months after the start of the pandemic. They didn't even bother informing anyone beforehand.

I think they're realizing remote working is here to stay and they're acting accordingly, meaning they want to micro-track their staff moving forward. This is not a call center or a by the hour contracting company. This is a bank we're talking about. Shocking. I really don't know how I feel about this. I've never seen this before. I would understand if everyone was paid or billing the company by the hour, but it makes no sense for permanent staff.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.