Who wants to go to the office?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was in my office the other day and it was really good. I love being able to get a coffee from Costa on my walk in, nipping out to the shops and to get things at lunch time. I wouldn't want it all the time I think I'd like 2/3 days in the office and then 2/3 at home depending. Being in my office physically makes certain things easier, like my hair dresser etc is closer to work than my home.

Reactions: 3
The office environment seems so outdated now. People have saved money not commuting. They won't want to go back to paying 1000s a year in train fares.
Totally agree, unfortunautely my workplace has decided we are all back in the (now reduced size office) FT from monday, I for one am dreading it and don't understand why it is necessary

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Going back in November on a 1/2 and 1/2 basis.

Apparently there’s not enough room until then ?! Who knows.

When schools/nurseries were closed and parents were left with no choice but to work from home with children, flexibility from employers was to be expected. I would never expect that now if it is a choice being made to save on childcare. You would not consider bringing your child in to the office to save money so I don’t think it’s okay to work from home with a child for that reason.

I think it’s so unfair on those that have to pick up the slack for the work missed by choice.
Yes so much this. I'm not surprised employers are wanting people back into the office if people are using saving on childcare as a reason to WFH. You're supposed to be focusing on your work not looking after your kids. I've had so many calls/meetings interrupted by people having to dip out to see to their kids, it's so disruptive and unprofessional.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
In fairness, loads of people have had kids at home isolating due to COVID so they couldn't go to childcare but I get your point.

I've loved working from home and I am lucky enough to have a summer house that is now my office. My employer is expecting everyone to be back in the office on a rota basis from last week. I however changed my contract officially a few months ago to work from home permanently as it greatly improved my mental health. At the start of 2020 I was on the verge on a mental breakdown and work was a huge part of that, working from home changed my life entirely.

I'm also pregnant and will be leaving in November to go on maternity leave anyway so not much point in me going back and having to get on the bus to work while pregnant when I have it all set up here.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I've loved working from home and I am lucky enough to have a summer house that is now my office. My employer is expecting everyone to be back in the office on a rota basis from last week. I however changed my contract officially a few months ago to work from home permanently as it greatly improved my mental health. At the start of 2020 I was on the verge on a mental breakdown and work was a huge part of that, working from home changed my life entirely.

I'm also pregnant and will be leaving in November to go on maternity leave anyway so not much point in me going back and having to get on the bus to work while pregnant when I have it all set up here.
How did you manage to get your contract change from office to wfh?

How did you manage to get your contract change from office to wfh?
I did a flexible working request slightly changing my hours and requesting to work from home instead of being office based. I didn't think they would accept it but they had no issue with it at all.

• Heart
My organisation are basically WFH with the option to attend the office as and when. We’re getting our contracts looked over by HR across the entire organisation at the minute but I am absolutely loving the option to go in when I want to and whenever suits me/the team.

Reactions: 2
My organisation are basically WFH with the option to attend the office as and when. We’re getting our contracts looked over by HR across the entire organisation at the minute but I am absolutely loving the option to go in when I want to and whenever suits me/the team.
You are so lucky. My place wouldn't even give us the option. It was an email telling us we are back in full time in a few weeks.

Reactions: 1
We've been told we are working from home until January but I can see that changing. It feels like when it starts to snow - the second people see some flakes then they want to go home in case they get stuck in work yet, when they wake up in the morning and see snow, they are all desperate to get into work.

Now my workplace sees others going back then I think they think they should be doing the same.

My workplace is doing an optional 1 day a week during Sept at the earliest. Very few are gonna take this up. Post-sept I envisage covid will get a lot worse as we enter Winter territory. Aka. I think it will be next year realistically for return. Those workplaces pushing people to return now and full time are genuinely backwards and need to realise that the office as we know it is over.

*for reference my workplace holds 1000. They are allowing 350 max in sept only on 1 day a week basis.

My workplace isn't doing much other than gently reminding us to start having a think about what we might like to do. I'm not going to raise it with my manager, I'll let him ask me!

My workplace is doing an optional 1 day a week during Sept at the earliest. Very few are gonna take this up. Post-sept I envisage covid will get a lot worse as we enter Winter territory. Aka. I think it will be next year realistically for return. Those workplaces pushing people to return now and full time are genuinely backwards and need to realise that the office as we know it is over.

*for reference my workplace holds 1000. They are allowing 350 max in sept only on 1 day a week basis.
I agree with you. We are only a small company, about 60 people. Its been working really well from home but they're determined to get us back in. They have no money and can't pay for any parking from the landlord or neighbouring buildings so I'll be walking in. I don't mind this time of year but 40 minutes through the rain and snow will be fun.

I really wonder how my workplace is going to manage when cases start to rise again, as I have said before they are forcing everyone back into the office full time (despite everyone being able to work remotely and in a reduced space but with the same number of people so we are all packed in together). Even now half of the office that have been in 4 days a week has been off with a cold/flu going around because people just go in when they are ill as we only get 3 paid sick days and the office culture basically encourages people to go in when ill

Reactions: 4
Even now half of the office that have been in 4 days a week has been off with a cold/flu going around because people just go in when they are ill as we only get 3 paid sick days and the office culture basically encourages people to go in when ill
Hate this. It's easy to announce the necessary measures and tell people to avoid going to the office if they are feeling unwell, maybe they should also notify the employers. I've been lucky enough with my current workplace that they are generally understanding and flexible with unexpected sick leaves and prolonged absences due to illness but not everyone is as fortunate. I know people getting unofficial warnings because they've been taking too much time off. The woman is pregnant and she's taking leave for her check ups ffs! Plenty of people will rather go to the office than suffer through snides and talks and rejected requests to work from home.

It's the time office culture changes drastically but these crusty people are eager to drag people back to their suffering holes as quickly as possible, for what I can't imagine. I know for a lot of people WFH has been hell, and I really sympathise but surely there could be a healthy balance. Employers rather have people in one place to 'keep an eye on everyone' I guess. God forbid you have enough time in your day to get small chores out of the way or not have your spare time eaten up by long commutes.

Reactions: 6
Hate this. It's easy to announce the necessary measures and tell people to avoid going to the office if they are feeling unwell, maybe they should also notify the employers. I've been lucky enough with my current workplace that they are generally understanding and flexible with unexpected sick leaves and prolonged absences due to illness but not everyone is as fortunate. I know people getting unofficial warnings because they've been taking too much time off. The woman is pregnant and she's taking leave for her check ups ffs! Plenty of people will rather go to the office than suffer through snides and talks and rejected requests to work from home.

It's the time office culture changes drastically but these crusty people are eager to drag people back to their suffering holes as quickly as possible, for what I can't imagine. I know for a lot of people WFH has been hell, and I really sympathise but surely there could be a healthy balance. Employers rather have people in one place to 'keep an eye on everyone' I guess. God forbid you have enough time in your day to get small chores out of the way or not have your spare time eaten up by long commutes.
Yeah I don't understand the default assumption of "people are mostly lazy when working from home" that many managers seem to share.

I find I work harder from home, given there are less distractions from nattering colleagues.

Also, surely they need to have better methods of actually monitoring employees, then there'd be no need to assume anything. We've worked effectively from home and thankfully my manager agrees, but friends who work for other employers say they really feel they have to go above and beyond to prove they're not slacking at home.

Reactions: 7
Yeah I don't understand the default assumption of "people are mostly lazy when working from home" that many managers seem to share.

I find I work harder from home, given there are less distractions from nattering colleagues.

Also, surely they need to have better methods of actually monitoring employees, then there'd be no need to assume anything. We've worked effectively from home and thankfully my manager agrees, but friends who work for other employers say they really feel they have to go above and beyond to prove they're not slacking at home.

I've felt the opposite re the proving myself while WFH.

When I was in the office I felt watched, I felt under pressure every second of my day as I was so busy. If I wasn't at my desk my manager would give me a look, as if to say 'you're too busy to be in the kitchen making a cup of tea'. If I spoke to any of my friends at work i would get told off! (Like I was 15 in the classroom again) So it resulted in me hardly getting up from my desk for 8+ hours a day out of fear that my managers were thinking I wasn't doing a good enough job. This turned into some major anxiety issues, panic attacks and having to take time off work.

Since being at home I actually get more done, because I'm not panicking. I'm not rushing and worrying and getting myself into a state about how much I had to do and if I was being watched or not. Now I am calm and I know what I need to do and I feel free to take a breather if I need it. This has made a huge difference to my productivity. Which my manager has actually recognised, apologised for and agreed that working from home works best for me.

I know some people have used working from home as a way to take the piss and so the bare minimum though!

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Amen to this. My manager and team leaders can't cope without micro managing us. Its part of their job in a contact centre. They are monitored by how well we are doing, if our loo breaks are too long or the phone queues are excessive then they get a bollocking. They physically can't see us at home and its killing them.

Reactions: 2
I've felt the opposite re the proving myself while WFH.

When I was in the office I felt watched, I felt under pressure every second of my day as I was so busy. If I wasn't at my desk my manager would give me a look, as if to say 'you're too busy to be in the kitchen making a cup of tea'. If I spoke to any of my friends at work i would get told off! (Like I was 15 in the classroom again) So it resulted in me hardly getting up from my desk for 8+ hours a day out of fear that my managers were thinking I wasn't doing a good enough job. This turned into some major anxiety issues, panic attacks and having to take time off work.

Since being at home I actually get more done, because I'm not panicking. I'm not rushing and worrying and getting myself into a state about how much I had to do and if I was being watched or not. Now I am calm and I know what I need to do and I feel free to take a breather if I need it. This has made a huge difference to my productivity. Which my manager has actually recognised, apologised for and agreed that working from home works best for me.

I know some people have used working from home as a way to take the piss and so the bare minimum though!
Yes true, though I know some people who used to take the piss in the office. A colleague of mine would often be surfing the web seemingly unconcerned that anyone looking in her direction could easily see it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.