Which supermarket is the best value?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No I mean when they say ‘I’m shopping in Lidl’s.’
But that would still mean Lidl’s premise /store, but I do understand what you mean, but it’s one thing that doesn’t really bother me although plenty does! I would never say Waitrose’s though....

I find shopping locally is better for our money. Also not buying loads of crap like choc and crisps helps x
Yes, agree.

I avoid Aldi and Lidl now. Now they pay Mumsnet six figures a year for advertising, use infuencers and are sponsoring so much the prices have gone up and up. Plus the lines piss me right off - like people that their three year old slowly unpack everything at the end of the massive belt causing a pile up, then they pack at a snails speed.

Was way better when it was way cheaper and they threw your shopping at you.

I get it mostly from Morrisons as they don't seem to use infuencers and their playlist is great. One day I hope to make it and get an ocado delivery 🙏 I feel like a million dollars when I go to Waitrose with the £5 off £20 shop vouchers to only by products on sale 🤣
I always look at the reduced items in Waitrose whenever I’m near one. Got a nice selection on Monday. I buy stuff I can stash in the freezer. Same with Marks and Spencer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I’d rather pay extra to avoid the experience 🤣
Same! When I was really broke I avoided lidl because it was further out and the reduced food in a normal place was cheaper. Lidl at this time of year is just awful. I do like them and aldi's healthy checkout snacks

Reactions: 2
all of the supermarket are best at different things which makes me thing they must work together to make people spend more money!
Aldi is the cheapest but the dates are sometimes not great ( their version of dettol cleaner is excellent) and their Liz earle hot cloth cleanser is identical to the £20 stuff and £15 cheaper.
Lidl and M&S have the best bakeries
Waitrose have the best wine aisles 🥴
i don't like tesco i don't know why, i have tried different stores as well just find them very overrated
Nothing beats M&S for ready meals, meal deals and percy pigs :love: 👌
morrisons and asda are very much the same where we live so we mostly pick and choose each month who we go with- definitely try online as they have deals and we find it much easier to navigate and you don't catch the plague off anybody 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Ocado isn’t much more expensive, in fact if you plan your meals and what you need I end up saving money using them and it’s also free delivery too! I don’t like aldi or Lidl meats but have been there for veg and tinned items... I don’t find them that much cheaper tbh and tescos has gone down In my estimations.

We buy meat from M&S and also do yellow label shops every Thursday at our local after work for a coupla bargs 😜

Ocado isn’t much more expensive, in fact if you plan your meals and what you need I end up saving money using them and it’s also free delivery too! I don’t like aldi or Lidl meats but have been there for veg and tinned items... I don’t find them that much cheaper tbh and tescos has gone down In my estimations.

We buy meat from M&S and also do yellow label shops every Thursday at our local after work for a coupla bargs 😜
Ocado isn’t free unless you are in a free trial period. They are going to be switching from supplying Waitrose products over to M&S products late next year.

Ocado isn’t free unless you are in a free trial period. They are going to be switching from supplying Waitrose products over to M&S products late next year.
I did one year free and now we’re using my OH’s one year free. Between us we have 6 email address so another 4 years of free 7 days a week shopping 👍🏻 That’s is they continue when we come the M&S offering. Been using for 18 months and never paid For delivery

Reactions: 1
I did one year free and now we’re using my OH’s one year free. Between us we have 6 email address so another 4 years of free 7 days a week shopping 👍🏻 That’s is they continue when we come the M&S offering. Been using for 18 months and never paid For delivery
Interesting. What about the fact that it is the same address? I did notice that they are only now offering 3 months for free now. I give out my landline number but I do have different email addresses. I managed to get a second year free due to a problem I encountered a year ago. It’s up in February.

We’ve done the same 😉

Interesting. What about the fact that it is the same address? I did notice that they are only now offering 3 months for free now. I give out my landline number but I do have different email addresses. I managed to get a second year free due to a problem I encountered a year ago. It’s up in February.
No issue with the address, we’ll have to see what the offer in 6 months, even if they cotton on we’ve had 2 great years! Hopefully with the introduction of M&S next September they’re be more new offers to entice and keep customers.

I have to order online so I get all mine from Morrison’s. Tried all the other supermarkets. Asda had horrific customer service every time. Tesco food is bland.

Waitrose does free delivery as long as you spend at least £60.

Iceland also does free delivery if you spend over a £35. I buy some things from there, inc. butter, cheese, hummus, frozen pizzas, inc. vegan ones and they have a good Gino d’Acampo range. You can read reviews of all their products online.

Last edited:
I never pay for an Ocardo delivery, 9.30 -10.30 on a Friday night is my free delivery time. Dreading them changing to M & S 😢

I never pay for an Ocardo delivery, 9.30 -10.30 on a Friday night is my free delivery time. Dreading them changing to M & S 😢
Me too. I never feel like I can a full shop in there and they never offers like others. I was disappointed when the £10 meal deal rose to £12😡

There's a pesto recall that affects all sacla brands and the ones they make for Lidl and Waitrose. I know Waitrose would argue their pesto uses different ingredients and a different recipe but both places use the same company to make them and probably aren't that different.

I do like Aldi but as others have said , it can be a false economy as very often you have to go elsewhere for other bits and pieces , I get p***ed off with it and think sod this I'll just go to Asda !
I agree with other posters about Aldi prices going up , thier wines uses to be brilliantly priced but now they're going up. I can go to m&s and buy cheaper bottles of wine than in Aldi 😱 , I love M&S but I'm not that rich so 😐🙈
Aldi meat is reasonably priced I will give them that .
I've never liked Lidl , I don't know why.
Asda are not too bad I think they're the cheaper out of Tesco /Sainsbury's/Morrisons , I love Morrisons (not the cheapest) but thier home delivery service is absolutely rubbish. I have had out of date meat (days out of date) so many times I won't do an online order with them again , yes you can get a refund but it's a pain in the neck having to ring them , explain etc etc , and the last time the guy on the phone laughed at the fact I'd been sent out date sausages 😂 yeah hilarious !
I find online food shopping so much easier to stick to my budget

Last edited:
I do like Aldi but as others have said , it can be a false economy as very often you have to go elsewhere for other bits and pieces , I get p***ed off with it and think sod this I'll just go to Asda !
I agree with other posters about Aldi prices going up , thier wines uses to be brilliantly priced but now they're going up. I can go to m&s and buy cheaper bottles of wine than in Aldi 😱 , I love M&S but I'm not that rich so 😐🙈
Aldi meat is reasonably priced I will give them that .
I've never liked Lidl , I don't know why.
Asda are not too bad I think they're the cheaper out of Tesco /Sainsbury's/Morrisons , I love Morrisons (not the cheapest) but thier home delivery service is absolutely rubbish. I have had out of date meat (days out of date) so many times I won't do an online order with them again , yes you can get a refund but it's a pain in the neck having to ring them , explain etc etc , and the last time the guy on the phone laughed at the fact I'd been sent out date sausages 😂 yeah hilarious !
I find online food shopping so much easier to stick to my budget
Ocado customer service is really good. Instant refunds given if not happy. I’ve also used Waitrose a few times.

There’s only a tesco and lidl close enough for me to shop at and we’ve always used tesco. The clubcard points add up and are helpful to us.

Like others I would find it hard to do a full shop at lidl so would end up going to tesco anyway and probably spending just as much as I would’ve if I had just done my full shop at there in the first place.

The ACTUAL stress of trying to work out if you keep your place in the first queue (and eat your second queue snack) or chance your arm and try and join the new queue with Brenda and the twins beating each other with the tiger bread 😨

all whilst the fancy new “blue tick verified” mince pies silently judge you.

queue skippers have a special section in hell that looks like the Lidl queue.
Jaysus this is my aunt Brenda and her twin boys 😭😭😭😭😭😂😂😂😂😂😂