Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Aldi and Lidl
personal opinion,
Yeah they are cheaper to Tesco etc , but lately they’ve sold out, they got a few more followers and think they deserve a blue tick 😏
Their stuff has gone up in price and they’ve become pretentious.
I do NOT need my mince pies looking down on me, that’s what Waitrose is for.....

maybe I just hate them more because influencers are now “shopping there” 🤷‍♀️😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Plus the lines piss me right off - like people that their three year old slowly unpack everything at the end of the massive belt causing a pile up, then they pack at a snails speed.
You need to go into Lidl prepared with water and snacks for the checkout wait alone.

they seem to refuse to open more than one till.

• Haha
Reactions: 9

JessicaFletcher

Chatty Member
Aldi and lidl are considerably cheaper, but in some ways a false economy! We shop at aldi then end up having to do a second shop for things we can't buy in there such as cosmetic stuff, some kids snacks and some cleaning products, because of the limited choice. We've just worked out that between those two shops we spend about £80 which is the the same as we would have just going to the usual supermarket. Also I've found their dates on food are a lot shorter and stuff seems to go off quicker so we end up rebuying some things. Also you have to look past the prices, for example squash seems really cheap but morrisons own is nicer and 2 for £2 so is actually cheaper! Aldi is fine if you know what you want but not very inspiring otherwise. We're going to start doing online shopping again because we saved much more that way as there's no browsing and you have to be organised which means you save money anyway!

As ooh said, aldi definitely have got more expensive though, more and more of their finest range is on the shelves and although nice the prices are becoming on par with other places. Although I will continue to shop in there just for nappies and wipes because we've always used them, they're excellent and you can't beat the price!

Reactions: 6

erin182

VIP Member
Kinda related to this thread but does it make anyone else cringe when people call Aldi and Lidl ‘Aldi’s and lidl’s.’ So adding the unnecessary S at the end 😂🤢🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 4

Yel

Chatty Member
I avoid Aldi and Lidl now. Now they pay Mumsnet six figures a year for advertising, use infuencers and are sponsoring so much the prices have gone up and up. Plus the lines piss me right off - like people that their three year old slowly unpack everything at the end of the massive belt causing a pile up, then they pack at a snails speed.

Was way better when it was way cheaper and they threw your shopping at you.

I get it mostly from Morrisons as they don't seem to use infuencers and their playlist is great. One day I hope to make it and get an ocado delivery 🙏 I feel like a million dollars when I go to Waitrose with the £5 off £20 shop vouchers to only by products on sale 🤣

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
And when they do open a new till 90% of the time people just rush to it rather than offer the people already waiting first. It's like the scrum you used to get when people would elbow you out of the way to board Ryanair when the seats were a free for all
The ACTUAL stress of trying to work out if you keep your place in the first queue (and eat your second queue snack) or chance your arm and try and join the new queue with Brenda and the twins beating each other with the tiger bread 😨

all whilst the fancy new “blue tick verified” mince pies silently judge you.

queue skippers have a special section in hell that looks like the Lidl queue.

• Haha

Youtubegossip

VIP Member
Ocado online here. Not a snob. They have much better dates on things, less alternatives and Tesco and asda ( Tesco were the worst) were regularly sending food where I’d have to eat half the shopping that night so it didn’t go off.

I don’t find it much more expensive to be honest if you buy the branded things and they often do meal deals like chicken, noodles, sauce and veg for a stir fry for £6 for example.

GeordieLass

all of the supermarket are best at different things which makes me thing they must work together to make people spend more money!
Aldi is the cheapest but the dates are sometimes not great ( their version of dettol cleaner is excellent) and their Liz earle hot cloth cleanser is identical to the £20 stuff and £15 cheaper.
Lidl and M&S have the best bakeries
Waitrose have the best wine aisles 🥴
i don't like tesco i don't know why, i have tried different stores as well just find them very overrated
Nothing beats M&S for ready meals, meal deals and percy pigs :love: 👌
morrisons and asda are very much the same where we live so we mostly pick and choose each month who we go with- definitely try online as they have deals and we find it much easier to navigate and you don't catch the plague off anybody 😄

• Haha

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
I shop online with Ocado or in my local Morrison’s store. I base my my meal plan/shop around what the latest offers are by checking ahead. The local budget supermarket are hell on earth around here, I’d rather pay extra to avoid the experience 🤣

WatchingandJudging

Ocado isn’t much more expensive, in fact if you plan your meals and what you need I end up saving money using them and it’s also free delivery too! I don’t like aldi or Lidl meats but have been there for veg and tinned items... I don’t find them that much cheaper tbh and tescos has gone down In my estimations.

We buy meat from M&S and also do yellow label shops every Thursday at our local after work for a coupla bargs 😜

Reactions: 3

Yel

Chatty Member
There's a pesto recall that affects all sacla brands and the ones they make for Lidl and Waitrose. I know Waitrose would argue their pesto uses different ingredients and a different recipe but both places use the same company to make them and probably aren't that different.

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
I done an online sainsburys shop for the week. Had to cancel it as we were going to be out at the time of delivery. Got up at the arse crack of dawn and braved Aldi, then tesco for the missing bits. Was £50 more expensive.
I'll be going there for Christmas bits. But week to week it's a pain the arse having to go to two shops and the sainsburys debacle proved the effort isn't saving me money.

Also £70 a week including nappies is amazing.
I'm £100-£120 pw for a family of three.

Mustard

VIP Member
No I mean when they say ‘I’m shopping in Lidl’s.’
But that would still mean Lidl’s premise /store, but I do understand what you mean, but it’s one thing that doesn’t really bother me although plenty does! I would never say Waitrose’s though....

I find shopping locally is better for our money. Also not buying loads of crap like choc and crisps helps x
Yes, agree.

I avoid Aldi and Lidl now. Now they pay Mumsnet six figures a year for advertising, use infuencers and are sponsoring so much the prices have gone up and up. Plus the lines piss me right off - like people that their three year old slowly unpack everything at the end of the massive belt causing a pile up, then they pack at a snails speed.

Was way better when it was way cheaper and they threw your shopping at you.

I get it mostly from Morrisons as they don't seem to use infuencers and their playlist is great. One day I hope to make it and get an ocado delivery 🙏 I feel like a million dollars when I go to Waitrose with the £5 off £20 shop vouchers to only by products on sale 🤣
I always look at the reduced items in Waitrose whenever I’m near one. Got a nice selection on Monday. I buy stuff I can stash in the freezer. Same with Marks and Spencer.

Last edited:

Yel

Chatty Member
You need to go into Lidl prepared with water and snacks for the checkout wait alone.

they seem to refuse to open more than one till.
And when they do open a new till 90% of the time people just rush to it rather than offer the people already waiting first. It's like the scrum you used to get when people would elbow you out of the way to board Ryanair when the seats were a free for all

Reactions: 2

Mustard

VIP Member
Aldi and Lidl definitely! I’d say they’re the best for meat, fruit & veg and cupboard bits. I’m a bit of a snob tho because I don’t like any of their own branded crisps, chocolate etc so will go to Asda for things like that 😂
I think their chocolate is fantastic, and excellent value.

Kinda related to this thread but does it make anyone else cringe when people call Aldi and Lidl ‘Aldi’s and lidl’s.’ So adding the unnecessary S at the end 😂🤢🤢
No, because it’s possessive, as in I’m going to Aldi’s store/shop/premises. It’s more irritating when people drop the to, as in going Aldi.

I get different things in different places. Prepared stir fry vegetables are cheaper in Lidl and Aldi, less than a pound. I buy butter (less than £1.50), Greek yogurt, soy sauce and organic eggs at Lidl,and usually loo rolls there, herbal tea plus toothpaste. I always look at what special offer fruit and vegetables they have. Morrison’s is good for different types of tinned beans. I use Ocado too, and buy the Waitrose baked beans and tinned tomatoes. Presliced brand name bread is miles cheaper at Lidl. I like their fresh bakery section too.

Last edited:

Yel

Chatty Member
I’d rather pay extra to avoid the experience 🤣
Same! When I was really broke I avoided lidl because it was further out and the reduced food in a normal place was cheaper. Lidl at this time of year is just awful. I do like them and aldi's healthy checkout snacks

FiddyWig

Chatty Member
Tesco has always worked out cheapest for me, and the fruit and veg lasts much longer.
I’ve only shopped in Aldi about 3 times and each time the meat stunk to high heaven 🤢 I won’t step foot in one now.

liarliarliar

Used to use Tesco until they went all crazy and got rid of the cheaper products and several items. Tried Aldi but like everyone else had to top up elsewhere and worked out same price as shopping in one place. Also found fruit and veg went off so quickly and certain meat never the best quality. Switched to Asda online shop and cannot fault it, pay £5 a month for delivery any time of the week. Get two deliveries per week, £80-100 total for the week, for a family of 3 including toiletries and cleaning products etc

Reactions: 1

Mustard

VIP Member
I do like Aldi but as others have said , it can be a false economy as very often you have to go elsewhere for other bits and pieces , I get p***ed off with it and think sod this I'll just go to Asda !
I agree with other posters about Aldi prices going up , thier wines uses to be brilliantly priced but now they're going up. I can go to m&s and buy cheaper bottles of wine than in Aldi 😱 , I love M&S but I'm not that rich so 😐🙈
Aldi meat is reasonably priced I will give them that .
I've never liked Lidl , I don't know why.
Asda are not too bad I think they're the cheaper out of Tesco /Sainsbury's/Morrisons , I love Morrisons (not the cheapest) but thier home delivery service is absolutely rubbish. I have had out of date meat (days out of date) so many times I won't do an online order with them again , yes you can get a refund but it's a pain in the neck having to ring them , explain etc etc , and the last time the guy on the phone laughed at the fact I'd been sent out date sausages 😂 yeah hilarious !
I find online food shopping so much easier to stick to my budget
Ocado customer service is really good. Instant refunds given if not happy. I’ve also used Waitrose a few times.

Reactions: 1