Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
9/11 - on holiday in Devon. Walking past a TV shop and saw it on the TV.

Princess Diana’s death - on a night out and taxi driver told us. Got home and started watching it on TV and said how awful for her that Dodi had died. Eventually they said she was OK as she had walked from the car and just had a broken arm so went to bed. Woke up in the morning to see she had died.

when take that broke up - can't remember where I was but remember hearing that girls were killing themselves after hearing the news.

Boredofthegram

VIP Member
9/11 - on a break at my part time job at a supermarket.
Diana - mum woke me up at the crack of dawn to tell me in tears.
Berlin Wall - I was only 6 so don’t remember it
Take that split - I was on holiday in a caravan in Devon.

Ems55

Chatty Member
9/11 - GCSE French class. TV wheeled in (remember TVs in wheels?!)

Diana's death - at home at the end of the summer hols. Mum woke me up to tell me. I remember when we went back to school, our first piece of work was to write a newspaper article about it.

Berlin Wall - not a clue as I was only 4!

Take That - not a clue. Wasn't really a fan at the time.

Other big one for me (being from NI) is Omagh Bomb. Was in Glasgow visiting family and sat in the hotel room all day watching the news.

Bloody hell that told me. I was 13 so it was a loooooong time ago and all I recall is it being all that was discussed in school for the day and was our first day back. Pardon my ignorance 😂😂
It was right at the end of the summer holidays from memory - like end of August I think, so that makes sense x

Last edited:

Razzmatazz

Chatty Member
Diana's death - I dint remeber as I was only 5 but I do remember seeing my Mum crying watching the funeral and it worried me because I didn't know why she was upset.

Geri leaving the Spice Girls - I was on holiday in Jamaica when it happened and I remeber one of my friends telling me when I went back to school.

9/11 - I was in year 5 and I think school kept it quiet but I remeber my Mum talking to me about it on the way home and seeing it on the TV when I got home from school which wasn't long after the second tower fell.

7/7 bombings - I was in year 8 and the teachers had the news projected up on the smart boards pretty much all day.

Manchester Arena bombings - I went to bed just as news reports came in of "loud bangs" at the arena. At first they were saying they thought some speakers had blown or something and I just went to bed. Not long after my husband came and told me that it was actually bombing. He works in a hospital in Manchester and got a call to see if he could go in as part of the major incident plan. He missed the phone call and when he called back they had enough people to go in that night and told him he would be needed in the morning to relieve people.

newtoyou

VIP Member
9/11 - like many, cane home after school and it was on the news. Didn’t even know what the towers were.

Diana - on a early coach trip to the seaside. Didn’t understand why the radio wasn’t playing any music. The got there and all the flags down the pier were half mast

9/11 at school. Remember coming home to my mum watching it on sky news

Princess Diana's death- in a car on the way home from the lake District, remember waking up that morning at my grand house and seeing it on GMTV

Berlin wall- probably In a Moses basket if we're going with it falling in 89

Take that...at school probably but too young to care who they were 😂
What year did they break up??

GlennCoco

VIP Member
9/11 - I was walking home from school and my next door neighbour (my age) rushed out of his house to tell me that World War 3 was starting. So i went inside and turned the tv on. I remember sitting and watching it whilst i did my homework and not really having a clue what was going on. Think my mum had to explain it to me when she came home.

Princess Diana - i dont remember the day she died as I was fairly young but I remember my parents watching her funeral on the tv and my mum was sat on the coffee table which was not allowed so that was a big deal for me 😂

7/7 bombings - I was in secondary school and heard about it from someone there. Felt terrified as my dad used to work away from home a lot and I wasnt sure if he said he was going to London. So I frantically rung him but thankfully he wasnt in London

Manchester Arena bombings - think I heard about it on social media as it was happening. Was very upset as I grew up near there and have always been to concerts there. One of the girls who died went to university with someone I know and it made it more real if that makes sense.

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
Diana - I must have been about 8 or 9, I remember waking up and my mum telling me she had died. I knew who she was but I don’t remember feeling particularly upset. We went swimming at a local leisure centre that day and the flag had been lowered - thats all I can remember really.

9/11 - I think I was year 8, I came home from school and my mum was watching sky news or some channel like that. She had watched the 2nd plane as it happened. I think we gradually found out it was terrorist related, I didn’t really know anything about terrorists at this point. They showed a picture of Osama and I remember thinking he looked really old and would probably be very easy to take out :LOL:.Kids at school terrified each other for months talking about nuclear attacks.

Boobalooba

Diana - i remember some girls talking about it at school, i didn't really pay much attention. i remember my mum had been at work all day and not heard the news and i told her when she picked me up. she didn't believe me til we got home.

Take That - i was in y 5 of primary school and an older girl had a take that t shirt on and she was crying throughout the assembly. i remember laughing because i thought it was so silly she was crying over a boy band.

9/11 i came home sick from school and it came on the tv, i watched the whole thing all day it was the 1st time I truly understood terrorism.