Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BorisBear

VIP Member
9/11 at work as. Junior as an estate agents a colleague rang in to say get on the internet as he’d just seen it on a vendors tv. Princess Diana I was in hospital having an overgrown earring pulled out 🤢
7/7 at Work & worried sick about a friend who took the tube to work. She was ok x

bubbletea123

VIP Member
Do you remember where you were when important events in history went down?

9/11?
Princess Diana’s death?
When the Berlin Wall came down?
when take that broke up?
9/11, I was at my gran's after school and remember seeing it on the news. My mum and I then went to Tesco where all the tvs were playing as one of the towers fell.

Princess Diana - I was a nearly 17 year old hungover in my bedroom with about 7 other people who had slept over at my house😂 woke up with my sister screaming up the stairs that princess Diana had died and we all lay there for hours watching the news on tv.

9/11 I was nearly 21 with a nearly one year old. My friend and her sister had come to visit and for lunch and the tv was on in the background as we all chatted and played with my kid. We saw the breaking news of a plane crash and then watched the second plane crash in to the tower. I sat there all day watching the live footage!

I’d lost interest in both take that and spice girls by the time they’d split up but I remember spice girls being all over the news that day

DoctorWho

Chatty Member
9/11 I was at home as we were moving house to a different county.

why would schools pull TVs out and show kids terrorist attacks?

Diana i found out when I switched the tv on. I was about 6. Ran into the kitchen to tell my mum and she didn’t believe me.

Lonewolf

VIP Member
911- out doing thr weekly shop with my mum and it came on over the radio

Diana- was on holiday in Turkey when she died and also for her funeral! We all watched it huddled around the hotel reception t.v. I was 15

9/11- came home from school to watch tv and the footage was showing on every channel.
Diana- I was only 5, but I remember seeing the news on tv in the morning and then going to get sweets later in the day (as a 5 year old that was probably the most important part of that day to me!)
I do remember when Michael Jackson died, I was making breakfast and my dad came and told me but said it in a tone of voice that I thought it was the start of a joke.
Too young to remember take that breaking up and not alive when the Berlin Wall came down.

annanuttall

VIP Member
Princess Diana - I was 15 years when she died. I remember mum running downstairs at the crack of dawn saying that she died. I remember thinking to myself, ok so what the press going to down now as she was always in the news. My sister slept in the park the night before her funeral. I remember a girl in my class being really grotesque with how she died and I slapped her around the face. I also fell asleep watching her funeral.

9/11 - I was bunking off my 6th form class (I was having problems and I hated being there) and went shopping instead. I just thought it was plane crash as everyone was crowded outside watching the shopping mall TV screen. I was working at a garden centre and that evening it was dead. Not a single soul came into the shop. Mum explained to me that it was terrorists. That was my first inkling with terrorism.

Berlin Wall - I vaguely remember it. I vaguely watching a news report on it. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time.

Take That - I was in primary school and my friends wouldn't let me like them. They were bully. Didn't really think much of it. Did enjoy reading all the gossip in Smash Hits.

Geri leaving the Spice Girls - I was devastated and spent the entire day watching the news, waiting for an official statement to come out. I didn't do my homework and got detention.

I will think of others.

Bronx

9/11 id just got home from school when the second plane hit. My sister and I were glued to the tv the rest of the night.

7/7 I was in London at an internship in Camden. I’d never seen my stepfather cry before that day.

orangelolly

Chatty Member
9/11? I arrived at the dentist and they said "Have you heard the news?" I hadn't. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of the twin towers. I think I was 16/17.
Princess Diana’s death? In bed because it was overnight but my friend called me to tell me in the morning.
When the Berlin Wall came down? I remember watching this on Wacaday and Timmy Mallet gave away pieces of it
when take that broke up? I remember it happening but I wasn't a fan by the time they broke up. I was a huge fan in the beginning

Noseybonk

VIP Member
Princess Dianas death - I was on my hen night. I came home drunk and saw it all on the news.

My actual wedding day was the day of her funeral. The place doing my hair and makeup rang me on the Wednesday to cancel, but then relented and on the day they did my hair and make up in silence and they watched the funeral on a portable tv and one of them kept bursting into tears 😕

Titntat

VIP Member
The earliest one i remeber is 9/11.
I was in menorca with my mum, dad and sister. Would have 10. I remeber going into the pool bar and seeing it. Just thought it has been a plane crash. Didnt even know what a terrorist was.
Then I remeber my mum finding a pay phone ringing my gran. She has just started slimming world

London 7/7 bombings I would have been 13ish. We was on our way to Alton Towers on our school trip. Someone had just been sick on the bus.

Manchester bombings. We was in Menorca again. I just remeber taking my daughter into the pool. She was only tiny, she didnt need to see it.

So weird how the little details stick in your mind.

lauraloves

I don't remember 9/11 as i was nearly 6, but everyone i ask who was old enough remembers exactly what they were doing. Same with Princess Diana. I also strangely don't remember 7/7.

I remember Manchester though, my best friend the day before told me he was going to see Ariana in Manchester and when I woke up to the news my first thought was OMG my friend is there!! Tried calling him and his phone was off... i was really starting to freak out and i remember watching the news that day waiting for his face to appear on the victims. Thankfully he contacted me later that day saying he was safe. So terrifying. i also remember crying when I saw one of the girls who was found dead's mum pleading for her to get in touch on the news. :( Heartbreaking and I'll never forget it

CrimeJunkie

9/11 - I had just got home from school and my mum was watching the breaking news

The others I either wasn't alive or only 5/6 years old

Thechubbymoaner

VIP Member
Do you remember where you were when important events in history went down?

9/11?
Princess Diana’s death?
When the Berlin Wall came down?
when take that broke up?
9/11, I was in secondary school and they called us all to the main hall and showed us on the tv in there what was happening. We were then sent home which was weird
Princess Diana- It was on the first day of second year of secondary school, it was on the radio and my dad thought I was taking the piss
The Berlin wall coming down...I can't remember
I also oddly can't remember take that breaking up but when Robbie left I remember one of my friends ran away from home

Diva18

9/11 I was 18, I'd just come home after a shift and it was all over the tv. My parents were on holiday in New York at the time so I tried ringing them but all the phone lines were down. It was so scary I didn't know if they were even alive. About 6 hours later my mum rang me to say they were ok. When they flew home a week or so later, there was still smoke coming from the rubble.
crazy because my daughter is 18 now and on 9/11 I left hospital with her, I did think what the hell is she being born into..

Kam2243

Diana my mum told me I was 14 and it was very surreal. I remember watching the tv and William and Harry going out to say thank you to mourners etc and some woman literally grabbing at William and wailing “WILLIAM WILLIAM HARRY WILLIAM”

Twin towers mum who’s a bit of a anxious scaremonger met me walking down the road and told me to go STRAIGHT home and stay there. She was expecting something to happen in the uk.

I remember seeing nelson Mandela leave prison on tv news special broadcast.

Keiffers pipe

Princess Diana I was in Blackpool with my friend and her parents for her birthday. We were high school age my greatgrandma died the same day .

9/11 I was at college , I'm pretty sure it was a Tuesday as me and my group of friends were all hungover following student night Monday. One of the boys on our course parents were in New York at the time so he had a empty house , 4 of us went back to his and just numbly watched the news for about 20 hours straight ( and smoked loads of joints) ** his parents were safe**

Don't remember take that was never a fan anyway

Speechdancer

Chatty Member
I was working on 9/11, (despatching as I have done for 30 years) and at the time I was on Contract for the Bank Of New York based at Canary Wharf.
As things were happening I heard vague reports and I got a little worried, I started to think that what was happening in the States was going to
happen to the UK within hours or the next 48 hours. I really thought the UK especially London was a target and there was me working in a
potential target area. Got home and nearly puked my guts up when I heard what really happened, I wasn't keen on working but as I've face the
threat of terrorism in the UK most my life it didn't stop me from working.

Nail Bomb in Soho, I was in the street collecting a cheque in the same street as the explosion 5 hours earlier.

7/7 London bombings, I was home recovering from an operation, I watched the whole thing play out on TV, I was gutted and also worried about my fellow couriers. I even rang up the courier company to see if every one was okay, I didn't lose any fellow couriers on that day thankfully.

Last edited:

Callmemaybe

9/11 I was off school porley. I remember my mum talking to the neighbour about it and then me running out to tell her the second tower hit. I didn't even know what the WTC was. I also thought my friends were going to die on their way home from school that day from a terrorist attack.

abitfairytale

Diana's death - I'd got up to watch Sunday morning TV (remember Fully Booked anyone? No? To be fair, it was crap...) and it was the news. I woke my parents up and told them.

9/11 - I was at college, and text messages came through to a few of us that a plane had smashed into tower one - we then couldn't focus so got sent home - I was through the door to find my parents watching the news, and I'd literally been in a minute when the first tower collapsed.

Take That - was devastated when Robbie left (the whole crying shebang!), but when they actually split as a group I wasn't surprised, kinda thought the writing was on the wall once Rob was gone.