Where to go for advice about a child?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would suggest you make an anonymous referral to children's services. They will decide, based on the information you provide, whether this warrants investigation. It is their duty to safeguard a child's welfare, and welfare compirises not only physical wellbeing, but also emotional and psychological wellbeing. If the child has an ed psych report, then they probably also have a school who are aware that the recommendations are not being followed. To be honest, the school should be alive to such an issue and children's services may already be involved. If you have a concern about a child's welfare, call children's services. The child ALWAYS comes first. And if you concern is unfounded and unwarranted, then no harm done. But if it leads to the family receiving advice and support, that can only be a good thing. You could also discuss with NSPCA who will pass the referral to children's services if they think it is warranted.

If a child is hitting itself in frustration, that is a problem. That is self harm. It may well be a problem that is being appropriately addressed by the parents and support services. If so, there is no role for children's services. But if it is not being appropriately addressed, children's services absolutely should be involved.

Your priority is to protect the child, not the parents.
Hello original poster who’s made another account as no one wanted to agree with you 😂

Reactions: 1
If there are definitely no concerns of neglect and/or abuse, and the child’s needs are being met, what exactly is your issue? You say the child self harms. It is an issue, but it’s also common with many disabilities/developmental disorders. My son is diagnosed autistic and self harm is one of his behaviours (albeit a horrible one). I can’t always stop him, this is his way of responding to stress/anxiety/frustration. All I can do is try to spot the triggers beforehand and it’s not always easy when you don’t know exactly what it is that has triggered the behaviour to begin with. He cannot always tell us but we are learning all the time. Raising a child with additional support needs is tough on its own, but do you know what would make it tougher?

Having family members going behind our backs and reporting concerns that we are not coping (some days it can really feel like that) to children’s services, instead of coming to us and saying, “Look, I don’t mean to be way off but it seems like you guys aren’t coping very well at the minute. Is there anything I can do to help?” If anyone in my family went behind my back and did that, not only would it make my life harder, they would no longer be family. I’m sorry, details or not, I think you’re wrong and if I were the parent of that child, I’d never forgive or trust you again.

Reactions: 4