What were you doing at 20?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At 20 I'd just moved into my first flat with my boyfriend. It was an amazing flat in the town centre, all singing and dancing. All young professionals and any body who was any body lived their. (Rent wasnt alot because we live up north about £600).
I was grafting my arse off working 70 hours week. Going out three times a week getting drunk and going to nandos more than I ate in 😬.
Going to the gym every single day and shopping for clothes nearly every other. Driving around in my brand new fiesta ST loving life. Holidays in fancy places 5 times at least year.
By the time I was 22 I'd just secured a full time job (because I was already employed by the council I got a full time wage, but was on an apprenticeship).
We had just brought out first house, it was right when the housing market had crashed. We paid 25k under asking price and made about 60k on it, minimal work, the previous owners spent a fortune doing it up to sell. It was a little terrace. I stopped going out (because I was pregnant) got my self a audi a4 (always been into cars). Had our first baby and decided it was time to sell up and buy a bigger house.
By 25 we moved into our forever home but it needed alot of work and both was moving rapidly up the ladder regarding jobs.
Now I'm 29 have two kids, dream house and dream cars.
Their had been bumps in the road. Nothings perfect. People move at their own pace. Only reason we got onto the property ladder at a young age is because I got a large amount of inheritance.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was living at home with my mum and dad. Working full time in an office and engaged to my now husband. We were saving for a house which we bought when I was 21. At 22 we moved 230 miles away, got married at 25 and now have 2 daughters aged 25 and 28! We will have been married 30 years in July. I’m so old! 🤣

Reactions: 2
20 years ago, when I was 20, I got dumped by my boyfriend and got sacked in the same week 😥, 5 days before Christmas!

I got a new job as a receptionist in January, moved out of home into my first rented flat and the most important part of my budget was ensuring I had 2 nights out a week with friends. Fun times!

In the final year of my degree and making big plans with my boyfriend to travel for 6 months. I remember thinking how I could do anything and it was all ahead of me. Being 20 is amazing. To anyone who is 20 or in their 20’s - make sure to fill this decade with lots of magical memories. It’s the perfect time to work hard, go everywhere and see everything :)

• Heart
I was living at home with my Mum, and working full time. At 20 I called off my engagement from the ex (who I should never have been with), and was just about to meet the love of my life (who has been my husband for many years). 😍

I was living at home, couldn’t drive, at uni, partied 4 nights a week (Crystal Monday, funky Buddha Tuesday, play on Wednesdays and faces on Sunday) with the aim of shagging the hottest guy in the place 😅(usually worked) had my student loan and cash in hand job so had the money to splurge too (parents didn’t ask for any contributions at home)

Two weeks after my 20th I lost my son who was born prematurely. This caused me to completely reevaluate everything and prompted my partner and I to move back to his home country. We’re still here 2 and half years later happily buying a house and very lucky to be expecting our rainbow baby 🌈

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I was living in a 2 bedroom rented lower cottage flat. Had a 5 year old daughter and was halfway through my nursing degree.

Reactions: 1
I had given birth to my first child was renting a house with now ex and then moved into another rented house on my own with my daughter

Uni , going out too much drinking etc 🙈 working part time for a building society. Still with the same man!

I had been engaged for a year, and had moved to Nottingham (200 miles away from 'home' - my first experience of moving out!) to live with my now husband whilst he was in his 2nd year at uni. Oh how my MIL hated me for that, for 'distracting' him from his studies when in reality I was paying his bills and for food cos his student loan didn't cover it all (his Dad got a promotion, student living costs loan reduced dramatically). We lived in Nottingham together for 4 years in total, had the time of our lives (despite always never having any money!). One major life regret is moving back to 'home'.

Mind you, we've now been married for 13 years, have a 9yr old daughter, and since Corona hit my MIL (finally) loves me so silver linings!

At 20 i was living in a homeless hostel, on the dole, smoking weed, mentally unstable and fat. 😂

Now I'm 22 I have my own home, but still on the dole, smoking weed, mentally unstable and fat. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
When I was 20 I was living in Australia doing a working holiday visa for 2 years (originally from UK) It was the best two years of my life!
I met my partner there and 8 years later we are still together back at home with kids.
Would definitely recommend taking a year or two out to work abroad whilst your still young, it really changed me and I grew up so much off the back of it. Made great money aswell!

Living in London with my boyfriend (who is now my husband) and out every weekend/always jetting off into the city for dinner and drinks with lots of friends.
Now I have two young children and manage to go out about twice a year, also wish I still had the same body 😩

We weren’t married yet, had a one year old. Had barely any money. Very different now but it was hard back then.

Living and working in a pub with my then boyfriend. Drinking a lot!!

Living in London in my second year of uni in the shittest student house you’ve ever seen spending all my student loan on gigs and alcohol. My rent was something silly like £50 a week 😂
I was from a single parent family so I got quite a large grant and loan and the first thing I bought was a bloody iphone 🙃😂 priorities. Suffice to say I haven’t paid much of it back.

Best time of my life. Oh how things change. Wish I was that happy now 😂

Last edited: