What time do your kids go to bed?.....

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just thought I would post this as a question.... I have a ten year old who had a routine when he was little he would be in bed by 7-7.30pm and sleep through until 7 the next morning. It was lovely, at least 4 hours chill me time..... He now goes to bed 8-9 in a school night and at 10pm at the weekend.

So my neighbours on the other hand have 2 kids aged 3&5 who go to bed between 9.30-11pm. They wake up at 7.30 and their parents let them both have a sleep in the afternoon each day for around 2 hours. When the girl is back to school both kids regularly whinge and scream (I assume through tiredness)
I spoke to the neighbour the other side and she commented her 3 kids were always in bed before 8 and the kids next door disturb hers quite often with the noise. She also stated the reason the neighbours put them to bed so late as the kids fit in with their lifestyle.....

Am I old fashioned ?
Have people stopped being considerate?

As result I find I never get a lie in or an early night unless they go on holiday.

This will probably a controversial topic...

Reactions: 5
When I had 1 he went to bed every night at 7, as in bath and reading books by 6:30. When we had my second the routine went so far out the window it might as well have never existed 😂 it got so out of hand my eldest was going to bed at 10 some nights but we’ve now reigned it in so they’ll go to sleep anywhere between 7-8:30, which isn’t too awful for us but they do both wake up several times during bed time which is a nightmare and it means we don’t really sit down until 9:30/10 and by then I’m basically asleep anyway!! They are 2.5 and 8 months X

Reactions: 2
When I had 1 he went to bed every night at 7, as in bath and reading books by 6:30. When we had my second the routine went so far out the window it might as well have never existed 😂 it got so out of hand my eldest was going to bed at 10 some nights but we’ve now reigned it in so they’ll go to sleep anywhere between 7-8:30, which isn’t too awful for us but they do both wake up several times during bed time which is a nightmare and it means we don’t really sit down until 9:30/10 and by then I’m basically asleep anyway!! They are 2.5 and 8 months X
It’s sounds like you are getting there... i always found it a nightmare just before the clocks were due to go forward or back so I adjusted the routine by 10 mins each week for a month so it was a smooth transition 😂😂😂

I don’t think it’s anyone’s business what time people’s kids go to bed to be honest.

My son goes to bed about 7ish every night but wakes up ridiculously early - like 5.30am. And he makes noise because that’s what toddlers do. I don’t know how much my neighbours can hear through the walls, so he could be waking them up at 6am every day for all I know.

This routine fits in with my lifestyle because through the week we’d be up early for work anyway and I go to bed early. I wouldn’t change that to accommodate my neighbours so they could sleep later, just as I wouldn’t expect them to change something to accommodate me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
My 2 year old goes to sleep for 7pm every night and wakes up any time from 5am-7am. Those few hours at night to relax and get things done if needed are crucial to me so I never understand why other parents let children (especially young ones and toddlers) sleep any later ! Each to their own though

Reactions: 7
3 and 5 going to bed that late is a bit nuts, but its their business. My two are 5 & under and theyre asleep between 7-8. They are early risers though, from 5am.

Reactions: 1
I've never had a bedtime routine for any of my children. They go to bed when they are tired. But mine aren't noisy so don't disturb anyone.

My 9 and 11 yr olds both go at 9.30pm and I let my 13 yr old stay up till 10pm. All gadgets are turned off and on charge downstairs by 9pm. They all sleep well, behave well (generally!), achieve well academically and seem to me to be well balanced and normal enough so I’m judging that to be a success! I never have a problem getting them up and ready for school so 🤷‍♀️

If I could choose I’d probably put the 9 yr old to bed earlier, but he is a competitive gymnast and trains 6 days a week 5.30-8.30pm so doesn’t even arrive home on a week night until 8.50pm. It’s a challenge to get him in bed by 9.30pm as it is.

If the kids are noisy and disturbing others then that’s the issue. Not what time they go to bed. They shouldn’t have to put their kids to bed just because other people do! And 3&5 yr olds do whinge. A lot.

My Kids (2,5,7) all go to bed at 7pm. 2yo asleep then, 5yo asleep by 7.30 and 7yo reads then asleep by 8.30.

But I worked with a guy once who had 3 kids. One slept 7pm-7am and another couldn’t get to sleep before 10pm, and only slept until 6am. One of my nephews goes to sleep at 8pm, another can’t sleep before 10pm (both under 10). Every child is different. We can’t say someone else should put their kid to bed at 7pm just because we do 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mine (almost 2) goes to bed when she’s tired. She’s never been a good sleeper (still wakes up multiple times at night) and doesn’t cope well with a routine. We don’t do the same thing every day and she may or may not nap, which both affect her sleeping. I’ve tried to stop the naps after getting sick of her staying awake until 9:30pm, but she just ends up overtired which is even worse. It’s usually not that late at least, and she’s quiet

I think every kid is different. Some parents probably are putting their lifestyle first or don’t understand the importance of sleep, equally some kids just don’t sleep. My daughter has a friend the same age who is even worse than her, staying up until at least 9pm and not sleeping through every single night. Her poor parents have tried everything to get her to sleep better but nothing works. Kids don’t come with an instruction manual, and the parenting books out there aren’t guaranteed to work

11year old goes to bed and lights etc out 10pm on school nights, later at weekends. He will someti go to bed himself earlier if he’s tired.

My new neighbours seem to think a toddler should be up till 11pm on week nights as well as weekends. And have a bloody grand piona which seems to be a bedtime routine getting played at 10pm (chopsticks seems to be the favourite). But the child seems to not sleep very well screaming now. And probably be loud at 6am.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 3
My kids have never gone to bed as early as I've wanted, perhaps they just weren't tired then . I've found they always find a time that they naturally fall asleep at then sleep through til time to getting up

I put my 1 year old to bed at 10-10.30pm usually but I’m hoping that when she gets older she will nap less in the day and sleep earlier at night. I have tried keeping her awake in the day to push her sleep time earlier but she gets overtired and upset so now isn’t the right time I guess. I think by 3/4 years old children shouldn’t need naps In the day but that’s my opinion

I put my 1 year old to bed at 10-10.30pm usually but I’m hoping that when she gets older she will nap less in the day and sleep earlier at night. I have tried keeping her awake in the day to push her sleep time earlier but she gets overtired and upset so now isn’t the right time I guess. I think by 3/4 years old children shouldn’t need naps In the day but that’s my opinion
At 42 I still need naps 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
My daughter was 2 in August and goes to bed at 7pm, usually asleep by 7.30. She then sleeps through and wakes between 6-7am. She still naps for 1.5 hours after lunch too (I have to wake her up or it'd affect bedtime, she'd happily sleep 2-3 hours if it was up to her!). I work full time so I need her in bed early for my own sanity. I'm always asleep by 10pm myself ready for my 6am alarm, and she's always exhausted from nursery so she's happy to go to bed. I've had a routine for her since she was about 8 weeks old and I wouldn't have it any other way and will be doing the same if we are lucky enough to have another baby in a couple of years.

My 11 month old and 4 year old both go to bed between 7-8pm and are usually awake before 7am.

My 16m old goes to bed between 6-7 and is up between 6-7.
My 6 y/o goes to bed between 7-8 and is up about 8. (Sometimes later in a weekend).
I need them few hours for my sanity. duck what the neighbours think.

Reactions: 3
My 9 year old goes to bed at half ten. Which isn’t ideal but previously she’d be wide awake causing trouble at 1-2am so 10.30 is much better! Every once in a while she’ll fall asleep at like 8 but that’s an anomaly.

My 13 yr old goes to bed at 10-10:30 on school nights. Weekends I don't really care when he goes to bed. My 7 yr old goes to bed at 8:30 on school nights and weekends 10-11pm.
I mean to each their own if they want their kids up all night but I do think they should keep them quite so they don't keep the whole street up.