What things make you feel nostalgic?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
- Body Shop Dewberry and Ananya perfume
- Impulse body spray
- Neighbours - Todd and Phoebe, Brett and the diabetic Dani Stark, Cody Willis. There is also a piece of incidental piano music used when Lucy Robinson had a brain tumour that has stuck in my head all these years and I remember always hearing it in my head when my Mum left me at school each morning and I'd be upset
- Heartbreak High
- my best friend always went to sleep playing Enya on her stereo so when I hear her music I remember our sleepovers and her house
- same friend was also a fan of Celine Dion so I probs know more of her lyrics than I care to
- remembering there was a time when the Peugot 306 was considered sexy
- TV adverts for Peugot 105 (or was it the 106 šŸ¤”) with 2 girls on adventures and Reanult Clio ("Nicole?" "Papa?" šŸ˜‚)
- more TV ads: You Know When You've Been Tangoed, Tampax with Haddaway's "It's my Life",
- The smell of real Christmas trees
- catalogues - Argos, Index, Freemans. I liked looking at all the pictures of the Christmas hampers and imagining all the crockery I'd have
- Maid Marian and her Merry Men ("its pancake day, it's pancake day, it's P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P pancake day!")
- The Big Breakfast with Johnny and Denise - I found an episode on YouTube last year and spookily it was from 20 years ago that very day
- This Life, The Knock, Anna Lee, The Chamomile Lawn
- Byker Grove, Grange Hill, Round the Twist, Goggle Eyes, Live and Kicking (081 811 8181, yeah)
- The Darling Buds of May
- remembering that me and my friends used to spend hours playing "elastics" (I think it's proper name is French skipping??) and the levels were called "ankles-ees", "knees-ees" and "bums-ees"
- being the backseat passenger in any car
- Planet Sound on Teletext. Used to read every morning. Big Fat Flying Bloke
- Kerrang! magazine every Thursday
- sugar paper, wax crayons, PVA glue
- FunFax
- thinking about the routine of school
- hearing any music my parents liked - Simply Red, The Shadows, various 60s and 70s bands
- Only Fools and Horses The Jolly Boys Outing - my favourite episode ever
- The Goonies, Home Alone, Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, Dirty Dancing, Mermaids
- If Wishes Were Horses (Channel 4 show about kids learning to ride)
- having a 'special tea' when family visited on Sundays, where we put crisps in bowls and I was allowed to arrange the biscuits/Tunnocks teacakes on plates
- weekly trip to Safeway
- collecting rubbers (pencil erasers!) and postcards
- Shops: Bay Trading, The Sweater Shop, River Island when they had the brown and green decoupage-style carrier bags

View attachment 24227View attachment 24228

- annual one week holiday to Weymouth and the need to have not sandals, but "canvas shoes" for said holiday

What a list ā¤

Reactions: 2
Round the twist was an amazing freaky programme. I remember an episode where a girl wishes her brother would "shut his mouth" or something and his mouth gets smaller and smaller and disappears. That stuff you see as a kid really sticks with you and that one really freaked me out. I also have the theme tune in my head now.

I think it was based on Paul Jennings books anyone remember them? They had cool covers with one underneath the main one showing something weird.

Reactions: 3
Talking TV adverts, the adverts for the Vauxhall Meriva and Zafira where they had the kids pretending to be adults looking after the car etc. I loved those adverts.

Take that/Boyzone/Spice girls
Sabrina the teenage witch
Top of the pops
90s indie music
Grunge
Barbie
My little pony
Fun house
Neighbours
Recording the charts
Recording music videos on vhs
Taping every boyzone performance
Saturday morning kids tv

Reactions: 1
River Island when they had the brown and green decoupage-style carrier bags

View attachment 24227View attachment 24228
Yesssss! :love:

Had a Saturday job there when River Island was still pretty new (used to be Chelsea Girl). Loved it!

Anyone remember the music played in River Island shops in the early days? We weren't allowed to play anything other than the official supplied playlists and it was all really old American blues/rhythm & blues type music from the 1950s-ish. Every time I hear Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill" it instantly takes me back.

I love it that you mentioned Mermaids. I used to play the soundtrack non-stop in my bedroom......the Shoop Shoop song and "If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife!".....etc etc.

Stand by Me, Beetlejuice, The Lost Boys, Mannequin, Young Sherlock Holmes & Peggy Sue Got Married (with a young Nicholas Cage...swoon!) are also faves from around that time. Ahhh....good times!

Does anyone remember watching Junior Kickstart as a kid?

Smtv live. Wonkey donkey!!!
Mona the vampire/ Tracy Beaker/ Hey Arnold
Renting videos from blockbusters
Msn/MySpace - when youā€™d have something stupid as your myspace name like daniDinosawww
Emos hanging round town (in Liverpool it was the courts and the gardens)
Hub festival (Liverpool thing)
Having a massive computer with windows 98
Theme hospital, sim city and the sims 1
Pink sliding Samsung phones
Motorola razer phone
Blow up chairs/couches/ bags šŸ˜‚
When a child fare on the bus was 50p
Pegleg at colomendy
PlayStation one - dance mat, Spyro, crash bandicoot and the noise the little mask makes šŸ˜‚

Cute thread idea. Seems many of us are a similar age, I identify with so many of these.

Magazines were definitely a big part of my life growing up too. Remember "mizz" which was big on the "cringe" embarrassing moments section? each confession would be awarded a different amount of money( between 1 and 50 quid I think ?) I'm struggling to remember the difference between shout and sugar? I remember thinking I was so grown up when I started reading things like this but at the same time magazines like cosmopolitan and more (?more?) seemed impossiblly adult and sophisticated. I miss devoting that much time to reading magazines as much as books, without the distraction of the Internet and social media. I remember so many things I read in them, such a formulative time of life.

I also miss renting videos and what a big deal it was when a big film finally came out. But every time there was serious excitement going to the shop to choose something. I guess losing that is part of growing up anyway but at the same time we are spoilt with a practically infinite choice of films to stream, nothing is special. Same with things like catching a glimpse of your favourite band or actor on TV. We are just so over saturated now.
I think Shout was a bit more for younger teens? (especially looking at it now where it seems more focused on Youtubers and online stuff with memes etc) where as Sugar tried to appeal more to 16-24, and I think covered more 'mature' stuff because of that like body image issues, health, relationships etc? They also tended to have a more wide range of celebs from what I remember with exclusive interviews, where as Shout tended to just use red carpet/event photos on the cover a lot of the time. I was quite sad when Sugar went bust tbh, I loved that and Company!

I think Shout was a bit more for younger teens? (especially looking at it now where it seems more focused on Youtubers and online stuff with memes etc) where as Sugar tried to appeal more to 16-24, and I think covered more 'mature' stuff because of that like body image issues, health, relationships etc? They also tended to have a more wide range of celebs from what I remember with exclusive interviews, where as Shout tended to just use red carpet/event photos on the cover a lot of the time. I was quite sad when Sugar went bust tbh, I loved that and Company!

I loved Bliss and J-17 anyone remember the Diary of a Crush story in J-17 I loved it you would get a novel included once a year.

Reactions: 3
I loved Bliss and J-17 anyone remember the Diary of a Crush story in J-17 I loved it you would get a novel included once a year.
I loved Bliss! and Mizz was another one with their 'cringe' section stories šŸ˜‚. I remember they used to put non-celebs on the cover sometimes.

Yes! I remember I read one I think was a sequel though I hadn't read the other. It was about a girl on a US road trip with her boyfriend. Anyone else ?

omg where do I start?

VHS tapes with vhs recorder
Garbage pail kids (in France it was called Les Crados, really disturbing thinking of it now lol)
Small teeny tiny Polly pockets
My little pony ( the basic 90s one)
Barbie
YES bars
Gameboy
Captain tsubasa (Olive et Tom in French,of course with 5 brothers lol)
Angela,15 ans (the serie with Claire Danes and Jared Leto (omg as Jordan catalano šŸ˜‚)when they were young)
Lion king and Aladdin ( that my smallest brother kept watching over and over on VHS tapes, we knew all the lines lol)
Plastic dummies as necklace (tiny ones)
Heartbrake high (Hartley cœur Ć  vif in French)
Degrassi high (mortified each time I heard about AIDS at that time, as I didnā€™t know what it was exactly lol)
Pocahontas
Ā« AmĆ©lie from Montmartre Ā» soundtrack makes me literally crying,reminds me a period of my life I was listening to it and working in tourism in Paris.
I canā€™t smell/wear some perfumes, they would remind me a certain period of time (happy or sad lol) Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one.

Ok, back to 2019.
If I continue,I will cry lol.

I can't remember if it was sugar who did sex position of the month?? Well, I brought the magazine with my pocket money for the free gift and my mum went marching with said magazine back to the post office because of how "disgusting" it was, mortified! Lol

I can't remember if it was sugar who did sex position of the month?? Well, I brought the magazine with my pocket money for the free gift and my mum went marching with said magazine back to the post office because of how "disgusting" it was, mortified! Lol
OMG I remember position of the month ...wasn't it in more or maxim or something like that ?! Feel like sugar was too, erm, sweet for that...

Programmes like only fools and horses, porridge, rising damp etc that i used to sit and watch with my dad when i was little. Also, tomato soup with cheese sandwiches dipped into it for sunday lunch!

Antiques Roadshow- my parents used to watch that when I was a kid
cassette tapes i taped songs off of the radio for playlists

Spice Girls
Groovy Chick (I don't know if thats even still a thing)
Glitter hair spray
Mary-Kate & Ashley movies
Impulse body spray
Lipsmackers
They had a groovy chick line at primark for a while!

Playing games I can actually hold.
Tamgotchi!
Gremlins
E.T
Fame!
Moon dust
Sindy dolls
T-shirts that changed colour
Benetton
Shipping Kate Moss & Johnny Depp as a couple
Sunflowers perfume
The Big Breakfast show.
Watching crappy cartoons after school on a Friday such as Captain Caveman & Scooby Doo.
Salted crisps with the little packet of salt to sprinkle yourself.
The ice-cream van visiting and picking an ice lolly.
Stray dogs, flipping everywhere! Back in the day where I lived nobody walked dogs. They just booted them out for a while & you'd see these streetwise dogs crossing roads using zebra crossing and finding their own food.
Not having to wear seatbelts.
No speed cameras.
Watching Neighbours after school. Missing school to watch the 1pm Neighbours then going back to school and being the person everyone wanted to talk to, to get the goss šŸ˜‚
Everyone seemed to have a single budgie in a cage.
I realise ppl were very ignorant to animal needs lol
Oh my, Sunflowers perfume is a huge one. All of these are so good.

Sugar/Bliss/More....and any magazine that had a "good" freebie like Collection 2000 lipstick or a bright red lip liner.

Smash Hits with the posters, song lyrics and the occasional free cassette tape.
I did an internship at Bliss when I was 16. Was a dream come true.

Spice Girls
Groovy Chick
Hey Arnold - move it football head!
Diggit on a Saturday morning followed by SMTV life, preferably accompanied by a bowl of coco pops
Spending my pocket money on Mizz, Smash Hits and TV Hits (and covering my walls with posters a first Spice Girls and then S Club / Blue / Steps and BWitched). Then getting far too sassy for my age and upgrading to Bliss, Sugar and J-17.
UFO yoghurts
Sunny Delight and the rumours of the kid that turned orange because he had it every day
10p Ice poles in the summer and evenings that felt warm until 10pm when you finally had to go in.
MSN Messenger every day after school and pretending I was doing homework every time my mum came in to my room to ask if she could use the phone line yet
Changing your screen name on MSN to include your current bestie / crush / philosophical song lyric
Bebo
Limewire and the first ever iPod mini
Jelly shoes - I had silver glitter wedges and they were my favourite thing ever
Shopping in Tammy Girl and my Mum telling me things were ā€œtoo oldā€ for me
Wishing away the years until I was old enough to shop in River Island. At 29 I now often feel too old!
Playing snake
Flipping a phone shut
An actual bus pass not an Oyster card (and my first ever solo bus journey to secondary school costing 40p!)
Cutting messages down to text speak to save spending 10p on going in to two messages
Buying a book that taught me how to compose ringtones and really really caring.
Buying ringtones / pranks from those ads in magazines - Ā£3 for the latest N Dubz song to play every time your phone rang was a bargain.
Push pops and other cheap sherbet sweets (those coloured sticks of them that were like 2p each)
Talking about the cost of anything in pence
Wishing time away until my next milestone birthday..... 10, then 13, then 15 (no idea why), 16, 17, 18, 20, 21.... now 30 is approaching Iā€™m clawing on to the time left of my 20s!

Reactions: 4