Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

catscradle

I'm 24 and my routine is pretty 'basic' but comprises the essentials and I've been consistent with it for the past 5-6 years or so.
I have a morning and evening routine but they're both practically identical so it's not too high-maintenance

AM:
Cerave Hydrating Cleanser - great non-foaming cleanser, very gentle on skin.
Simple Rich Moisturiser - been using this for years, great for sensitive skin.
Sun protection: Biore Aqua Watery Essence - sun protection is the number one thing you can use for anti-aging. This is a really lovely formulation, I order it from Amazon - it does take a few weeks to arrive but it's worth it. Sinks in and is not sticky and greasy at all. Asian sunscreens are really great if you're looking for a more lightweight formula that still offers adequate protection.

Reactions: 2

fishsticks

I swear by anything La Roche Posay and The Ordinary have some amazing products. My faves are the hyaluronic acid, AHA, niacinamide and buffet.

Also, if you have oily skin, the pixi glow tonic is amazing!! I went from being so self-conscious of my skin to loving it just by using la roche, pixi and the orindary. Now I rarely wear foundation.

under the ivy

VIP Member
Yes “The Ordinary” seems to have taken off massively this year? I didn’t realise how affordable it was? I think people are too easily influenced online with products. When they have to realise EVERY skin type is different so it might give your mate a great complexion Doesn’t mean it’ll work for you!
I buy their stuff mainly for the price but have made the mistake of following influencer hype e,g the bha aha peel. It makes my skin sting like a b**ch. One alternative I’ve found is Erborian Milk and Peel mask which is great. Pricey but I had a discount code when I bought mine.

Off topic: I've used The Ordinary since its launch and it's been fascinating to see its growth, but things have definitely gone downhill in terms of how it's sold to people. It makes the users think they can be chemists with the mixing of powders with oils and serums (vit c and niacinamide powders); it's dangerous and not at all stable in terms of pH, especially when you're trusting your consumers to play chemist with strong ingredients that can cause irritation.

I like its accessibility and affordability, but young girls are hopping on the trend of using products that their skin a) doesn't require yet or b) requires easing into, and with lots of SPF that they're definitely not using. I love and use The Ordinary but I prefer the sister label NIOD.

I really love The Inkey List, Garden of Wisdom, Q&A,
Good Molecules and Versed as alternatives.
I really like Inkey and Q+A. I’m using a Q+A peptide serum and it’s great for my skin. Not heard of garden of wisdom, will have to check them out.

grumpycat

VIP Member
Love some skincare chat. After my son I had the worst skin possible so I take care of mine but it’s super simple

Make up with micellar water
Cleanse with Avene gentle cleanser
I use azeliac acid on the areas I had issues with rosecea
and either:
Morning - I use boots caffiene under eye cream
Evening - Kiehl’s creamy avocado eye cream
Followed by Kiehl’s moisturiser

Sometimes I’ll use some indeed hyaluronic acid and once a week or every other week depending how my skin needs I’ll use a dash of lactic acid by the ordinary

I also take zinc and burdock root for my skin as supplements

Last edited:

Enpen45

Im sure the ordinary do a Q&A on their website to see which products you need.
Yes they do! I think there’s a few others that do the same There was lady who posted earlier on the thread about being a tropics ambassador so I had a look on their website and they do it aswell.

I done a skin analysis last week on a website called Renude. You answer the skin type questions and have the option to attach a pic of your face. A few days later they email you with a list of products they suggest you use. All the products were affordable as you put in your spending limit. I’ll probably pick up some of the bits along the way or when I’ve used what I already have. I don’t like buying anything until I’ve used what I already have.

Dancing Dave

VIP Member
Gosh some of you are using far too many things at once... please take care of your skin guys!
I do a skin consultation with Kiehls every year and my skin has (thankfully) always been very good! I try to stick with what works. I know too many people who add different moisturisers every other month. It’s like if they don’t see a change after a week it’s not working! That’s where influencers are dangerous in promoting gifted products every other week

CarrieW24

Chatty Member
I never let my skin get dry, not just my face. I drink plenty of water and use lotion (on my body), and a moisturiser with both hyaluronic acid and vitamin c on my face.

I'm also aware that I'm more extreme than most people when it comes to health: I avoid diurectics (coffee, alcohol, popcorn), and I avoid two sources that always cause me to break out (peanuts, peanut products, and sugar).

Reactions: 1

Naataaliiee

I know how you feel! I bought a load of new stuff and now I’m thinking hmm maybe I need that one instead! It’s a slippery slope and you could easily end up spending too much! 🙈

I done a free skin analysis on a website called Renude. They asked me questions on skin type, problem areas etc. They ask you your budget too so only recommend products in your price range. You can send them a pic of your face and they will email you a couple of days later with a list of products they recommend and a routine to follow. I found it really good and will be buying a few things from the list when I’ve used up what I already have.
Just wanted to nip back onto this thread to say thanks for recommending Renude! I submitted pics and info, thinking I had nothing to lose, and I was really impressed with the service I received, especially considering it’s free! I had a look into the products recommended for me and now that i’ve bought and used some of them, I’ve already noticed a huge difference in my skin! Just what I needed- hopefully I see some long term improvements!!
#notsponsored 🤣🤣

• Heart
Loving this thread!
Have only recently got into skincare as I just turned 30 😳 and someone bought me a skincare gift set! I started looking into it a bit more properly. Beforehand I'm ashamed to say I was using baby Wipes to get makeup off and then a Cleanser, and moisturiser only at night!

My new routine is
AM - cleanse with a cleansing milk, wash off with a flannel, an acid toner (I'm alternating each day between a Lactic acid and a glycolic acid), facial spray, eye serum, face serum, light moisturiser and SPF 50.
PM - double cleanse, 2nd cleanse is using an oil based Cleanser to get rid of spf and makeup, acid tone, eye serum, face serum/oil, night moisturiser.

I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now! My skin is looking somewhat better but not amazing tbh.

My main concern atm is milia around my eyes - does anyone have any good tips for getting rid of those?
I did think they were starting to improve once I started using acid toner BUT last couple of days have noticed there are more milia than before.... Maybe this is from using the eye serum twice a day?

🤷🏻‍♀️

Georgethecat

VIP Member
I posted further up but forgot to mention I also use spf and use the body shop multi defence spf 50, I've recently incorporated this into my skincare as I now suffer from melasma since my pregnancy.

I have started a treatment of hydroquinone and Tretinoin prescribed by an online dermatology place called dermatica. Thought it would be worth mentioning if anyone else has suffered the same! I'm a couple months into treatment and I'm sure I can see an improvement although still noticeable to me.

openbook1

VIP Member
Do you find the Garnier SPF goes on ok underneath make up? Is it spf50? Which other spfs do you recommend?
Yes, it is one of the best I've used. Dries quickly, no white mask and doesn't ball up when applying makeup. The Garnier one I use right now is SPF 50, I think.

I really like Hawaiian Tropic silk hydration face SPF 30.

And Vichy ideal Soleil ultra light sunscreen in SPF 50...v expensive for the amount that you get though.

Gem88

I have sensitive combination skin:

Morning:

* Simple Daily Skin Detox Purifyinh Face Wash in the shower with warm water and after my shower I splash my face with cool water
* The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner
* Simple Hydrating Booster
* Simple All Day Mattifying Moisteriser

Evening:

* Before I shower I remove my make up with two miscellar Simple wipes
* After shower and while my pores are open I use The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser
* Double cleanse with Simple Miscellar water
* The Ordinary Glycolic Acid Toner
* The Ordinary hyaluronic acid
* The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% Zinc 1%
* The Ordinary Caffeine solution under my eyes
* The Ordinary Natural Moisteriser (I mix in a few drops of St Moritz Radiant Glow every few days

Think that’s it! Probably not the best I could do/use but much better than my old face wipes and moisteriser routine I had until a few years ago 😂🙈

Georgethecat

VIP Member
Sorry it this question is a bit stupid, but by SPF do you mean sun cream? Or just a moisturiser that contains SPF? It’s something I’m really keen to begin but just want to make sure I’m understanding.
Yes, a face specific sun cream I guess. I use a moisturiser with no SPF then a separate spf on on top before makeup.

• Heart

Diva18

Wow, I need to step up my skin care routine as I turn 30 soon and currently just use Simple for cleanser and toner, then a Body Shop moisturiser. I have combination skin so it’s tricky to find things that work well but don’t make me too dry/break out...
Not sure where to start! Does anyone know of any websites which suggest products based on skin type? I don’t really want to commit to just one brand.
I wouldn't worry so much. Simple cleanser is one of the best around. Drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep.

Enpen45

Definitely. Genes and adequate hydration are the two biggest influences on how your face ages, in my opinion. Everything else is secondary.

I've only been using it for less than a year, I had a spot I wanted to fade but then loved how hydrated my skin looked and felt so kept using it.

What bad have you read? I'll research it a bit more to see the negatives, but I've only experienced positives so far.

Yes, a lot is down to genetics. Neither of my parents have acne. My biological siblings and I also don't have acne. I'm very grateful not to deal with that because it seems like the choices are bad skin or medication with side effects 😣

In general I try not to use too many products, especially those with a long list of inpronouncable ingredients. I'm the same with my food, the cleaner the better. If it sounds like a chemical, I'm not eating it. I don't take pain killers, I sleep it off, unless I'm facing dire pain (root canal, labour).

I get my health craze from my mom, and people often think she's my sister so she must be doing something right, or I look as old as fuck 😆
I’ve read really good things about Hyaluronic acid but also read that applying it to very dry skin can make your skin even dryer and it’s only a short term fix. My skin isn’t too dry at the mo but during the winter I can have periods of skin flaking of around my tzone!

I’m the same as you with medicines though. I have to be in crazy pain before I’ll take a paracetamol and read the side effects of everything so I may just be being over cautious.

gukkies

I really like Inkey and Q+A. I’m using a Q+A peptide serum and it’s great for my skin. Not heard of garden of wisdom, will have to check them out.
You're making me want to try out the peptide serum even more now! You can find GOW on Victoria Health - totally recommend their vitamin c and niacinamide and peptide serums!

AM:
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
The Ordinary Buffet Serum
The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors + HA
Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Creme

PM:
Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Balm
Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
The Ordinary Buffet Serum
Versed Skin Soak Rich Moisture Cream
Ole Henriksen Banana Bright Eye Cream

Will sometimes add in the Glossier Vitamin C Serum, and I wash with the Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion twice a week.

I used to use the Origins GinZing eye cream which I think I will go back to once I finish the Ole Henriksen one.

Scvee13

I didn't start using skin care properly until I was 30 🤣. I use the Tropic range, cleanser, toner and moisturise in AM and at night the same but I also use a serum. I do face masks as required, a face Scrub once a week. Keep hydrated is the best advice I can give

doddler

AM: elemis cleansing balm, clinique moisture surge moisturiser and usually the body shop spf 50 (which used to be a fantastic facial spf but they’ve changed the formula, it’s still ok but a lot thicker than it used to be)

PM: elemis cleansing balm, elemis resurfacing face wash, pixi glow tonic, elemis marine cream

I buy the elemis advent calendar every year so have lots of their products so I’ll mix in a mask or a different moisturiser occasionally, but the above is my day to day 99% of the time. my skins always been pretty unproblematic but since I’ve moved to predominantly Elemis I don’t even bother wearing foundation or concealer anymore as it’s so clear and glowy. skincare is something I’m more than happy to spend £££ on