What do you order from the Chinese takeaway?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Please can someone help me, I’m eager to try these salt and pepper chilli chips I keep hearing about lol, but the Chinese we go to don’t seem to do them ☹ They do just chips but what do I ask for if I want these salt and pepper chips? I’m worried they won’t know what they are 😂
just go in and say do you do salt and pepper chips please? they can only say no!

Reactions: 2
Please can someone help me, I’m eager to try these salt and pepper chilli chips I keep hearing about lol, but the Chinese we go to don’t seem to do them ☹ They do just chips but what do I ask for if I want these salt and pepper chips? I’m worried they won’t know what they are 😂
If they do salt and pepper chicken/beef they should be capable of making a chip version! Just go ahead and ask when you call/go in 😊

Reactions: 1
If they do a spice bag, or if they have salt n pepper chilli crispy or shredded chicken anywhere in their menu, they’ll know what you’re talking about. Be brave, you won’t regret it 🤣🤣

Thanks everyone! I know it sounds really silly but I get anxious talking on the phone haha let alone asking for things not on the menu 😰

Thanks everyone! I know it sounds really silly but I get anxious talking on the phone haha let alone asking for things not on the menu 😰
Totally get that, I have anxiety of speaking in public (even if it’s just telling a story to a group of my friends 😖😖) but im fine on the phone, what’s your Chinese, if they’re in Ireland I’ll ring for you and ask 😂😂😂

• Haha
Thanks to this thread I’m having a Chinese tonight... told my husband I just fancied it never mentioned why...

I always check just eat for deals first then if nothing worth having I get him to phone local takeaway I never phone 😆

• Haha
[whispers] I prefer Japanese - prawn gyoza, chicken teriyaki, vegetable and prawn tempura, etc.

But, as we have a sizeable Cantonese population in town, there is definitely a place for a takeaway in our meals.

Crispy Prawn Balls. Same principle as the chicken or pork ones, just much, much nicer.
Kung Po chicken.
Salt & Pepper Squid.
Pak Choi & Beef in Oyster Sauce.
Mussels in black bean sauce.

And, of course, what few people mention - when we're a bit skint - chips and curry sauce.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Before my kids decided we all had to go vegetarian we used to have:
Salt and pepper squid
Sweet and sour chicken balls
Chicken and cashew nuts
Beef in black bean sauce
Singapore noodles
Egg fried rice.
Now I order bitter tears of regret at discussing animal welfare issues with my children in front of the dog 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Crispy chilli beef
Chow Mein in some form
Deep fried prawns

From Japanese take away we get
Katsu curry
Chicken yakisoba
Chicken gyōza
Salmon sushi set

honey chilli chicken
Egg fried rice
Salt and pepper chips
Also a fan of duck with plum sauce but would only have that when the in laws are doing the order 😂

• Haha
Special chow mein/Vegetable rice
Chicken and mushrooms
Mixed starter extra flakes on the seaweed
Crispy chilli chicken/smoked chicken/beef in black bean sauce
Chilli salt chips
BBQ sauce/sweet n sour sauce
Curry sauce

That’s for 2 we share it though

If I’m ordering alone,
Chicken chips in a Chinese gravy
Mini spring rolls

Yangzhou fried rice. Pak choi, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mushrooms. I tend to go more for vegetables in chinese food but I'm also keen on the crispy shredded beef. I once had the best dish ever in a Szechuan Muslim style chinese restaurant, it was bbq lamb but covered in the local chilli spices. Quite fiery and dry meat but it was so tasty - I've never found it in the UK.
I'm also addicted to Bakkwa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakkwa) but I can never get it here either.

Prawn Toast
Mini vegetable spring rolls
Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls
Stewed mushrooms
Chicken or Roast Duck with cashew nuts in yellowbean sauce
Egg Fried Rice
Chicken Chow Mein
Crispy shredded chilli beef
Prawn Crackers
and a couple of portions of chips

....there's 6 of us.

Chicken and sweetcorn soup
Chicken satay skewers
Prawn crackers
Chips
Chicken chow mein
Sweet and sour chicken balls

Prawn Toast
Mini vegetable spring rolls
Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls
Stewed mushrooms
Chicken or Roast Duck with cashew nuts in yellowbean sauce
Egg Fried Rice
Chicken Chow Mein
Crispy shredded chilli beef
Prawn Crackers
and a couple of portions of chips

....there's 6 of us.
What do the other five order, then?

[Ducks for cover]

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Ours has stopped giving free prawn crackers and now you get free mini spring rolls. Bring back the prawn crackers!
I know a Chinese takeaway is not authentic at all but I love sweet and sour chicken hong kong style. Char siu fried rice (which is weird as I hate pork and don’t eat it usually) and satay chicken skewers but only if ifs the really thin chicken strips and not chunks of chicken.
Would love that now but have horrendous toothache so living on co codamol and water as anything that makes me close my mouth hurts like hell.