What do you do on Christmas Eve / Day? (A restful Christmas)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i love this thread and reading all the traditions! 🎅♥

christmas eve 🎄
  • morning: the most important part 😁 we get up early, get all glammed up, best dress, heels, coat, etc. and head into the old town for drinking. it's a huge tradition in the city i live in and the whole city does the same thing. it's lovely because you see all the people you haven't seen in a long time. we'll try to go earlier than usual this year to get a spot in a good pub! oh and before that a quick but filling breakfast
  • lunch: at my parents' place, a lovely lunch with a roast but usually just trying to survive it because you're drunk from the morning
  • afternoon: watching movies, this year at our place with my sister and her bf, starting our harry potter marathon ⚡
  • evening: exchanging presents with my bf as it's traditional in his family to do so on christmas eve. and probably a board game!
christmas day 🎄
  • morning: sleeping in a bit longer, probably sobering up a bit, getting ready
  • lunch: a big lunch with the whole family. cold starters first then soup then roast then various desserts. i'm bringing lots of cookies this year 🍪
  • afternoon: opening all the family presents, hanging out, talking over coffee, drinks and food
  • evening: drinking more baileys, eating more chocolate, board games. sometimes we go out but not this year
boxing day 🎄
  • morning: huge breakfast with allll the leftovers and lots of cheese 🧀 tv, christmas movies, board games, reading, whatever we feel like
  • lunch: my bf makes a roast for us and this year it's duck. i make the potatoes and sides
  • afternoon: my sister and her bf will join us to continue our harry potter marathon ⚡
  • evening: bf and i settle down alone for a bit after all the socializing and usually talk about the year and look through all the presents 😊
I love all the food and alcohol in your Christmas 😋

• Heart
Reactions: 2
what is stressing you out?
The house is so untidy and messy, because of work I haven’t had the time to clean it properly and people are coming round tomorrow. It doesn’t feel like Christmas and I feel like my plans are going to fall short.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The house is so untidy and messy, because of work I haven’t had the time to clean it properly and people are coming round tomorrow. It doesn’t feel like Christmas and I feel like my plans are going to fall short.
Easy for me to say but as long as you are in good company, that’s all that matters. You will have a good time regardless.
I’m having a last minute clean tomorrow - I’ve just written a list of all we need to do (roping in my partner to help).
Hope it all goes as you want it to, but keep in mind a little mess has never hurt anyone ☺

Reactions: 3
I use this guide from Unf*ck Your Habitat for panic cleaning like this and it helps me to have a clear mind path instead of actually panic cleaning, maybe it'll help.
Nd9GcSO1ZhpEhc1f7piQ4u-whsa1tF5NXId88hrJg&usqp=CAU.png

At the end, we hardly ever remember how tidy someone's house was, no matter how pristine, it'll end up a mess either way. Make sure the bathroom(s) and the living room are clean and just try to be in the moment and enjoy your time with your loved ones. I'm sure nobody sane will mind if there is some clutter or dust around.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I use this guide from Unf*ck Your Habitat for panic cleaning like this and it helps me to have a clear mind path instead of actually panic cleaning, maybe it'll help.
View attachment 1827783
At the end, we hardly ever remember how tidy someone's house was, no matter how pristine, it'll end up a mess either way. Make sure the bathroom(s) and the living room are clean and just try to be in the moment and enjoy your time with your loved ones. I'm sure nobody sane will mind if there is some clutter or dust around.
Wow, thank you so much for this! Very helpful 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I usually work.

I work in the social care sector so work shifts; we get to choose what we want to do. This year I'm off Christmas Day and New Year's Eve but I'm working the rest.

I’ve spent all day shopping and cleaning and I’m stressed to death 😂 No doubt it will be a mess Sunday anyway.

Loved reading all these! I didn't grow up celebrating Xmas so don't have any traditions but used to get really jealous when my friends would tell me about their Christmases! I ended up marrying a man whose favourite time of year is Xmas so now we have a few traditions with his family and our kids

Xmas eve - usually go to my FILs. I do all the food prep, husband cleans the house while FIL drinks and plays with the kids. Nothing really set for breakfast/lunch/dinner - i will just make whatever I/we fancy. I'm making a chicken soup this year. Christmas biscuits/chocs usually come out for snacking. FIL sorts out santa and reindeer bits with the kids and usually gives them their Xmas eve pjs/slippers etc and then its bedtime. As soon as they're out I sort out stockings and wrap all the santa presents. Usually I wrap every present but it takes hours and I regret it every year so I've been more organised this year and have already wrapped everything else 👍

Xmas day - kids get up uber early (6am usually but 7am they are allowed to check downstairs), so coffee and watching them open their gifts. Eventually 10am-ish I'll make breakfast - salmon and eggs, bacon sarnies, waffles for my picky one. Then its watching tv/listening to Xmas songs whilst kids play with their gifts and we prep Xmas Dinner. In between quick shower and into our Xmas outfits. We usually have our starters at 1ish and then 3/4pm Xmas Dinner. Adults then open their gifts and then 6ish dessert. 8pm cheeseboard. 10pm I'm knackered but tend to stay up and listen to FILs drunken stories (which are the same every year but I love how he forgets and I just act like its the first time he's telling me the story 😆)

Boxing day - we tend to sleep in then Xmas chocolates for breakfast and we graze on leftovers for the rest of the day. Usually sandwiches but if there's enough leftover and I have the energy I will usually make a pie. Other family tend to visit but they are all away this year so the neighbours might pop in but otherwise no guests as far as I am aware. We have a bday on the 27th so might go visit and celebrate that but by 28th we head home to rest before we get ready for new years with friends

• Heart
Christmas Eve -Coffee & Sunrise beach walk, followed by a trip to visit my mums grave.
Little bit of shopping for myself with a trip to our fave cafe for brunch.
Movie afternoon with himself before the mayhem this evening of 🎅 arrival to our house! This evening we will watch a movie with the kids and maybe order a nice pizza with a glass of wine!

• Heart
(sorry if this is a bit random, didn’t know which thread to post it in)

Tonight is the first Christmas Eve in my whole life that I’m going to be alone all night and will wake up Christmas morning to an empty house. I’m seeing family in the day tomorrow but I’m feeling quite down tonight. It’s been a bit of a rough year, I’m that hoping 2023 will be better.

Just thought I’d say that my love is with anyone feeling lonely this Christmas ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I don't really get excited about Xmas! 😳

I love carols and lots of food though. Am currently sitting on the sofa with a cup of tea, there is plenty of alcohol in but I don't feel like it at the moment. Later I'll make braised red cabbage and bread sauce for tomorrow.

Weirdly I'm looking forward to the King's speech, curious to see what he says.

@grannypants a very lovely 2023 to you ✨️

• Heart
(sorry if this is a bit random, didn’t know which thread to post it in)

Tonight is the first Christmas Eve in my whole life that I’m going to be alone all night and will wake up Christmas morning to an empty house. I’m seeing family in the day tomorrow but I’m feeling quite down tonight. It’s been a bit of a rough year, I’m that hoping 2023 will be better.

Just thought I’d say that my love is with anyone feeling lonely this Christmas ❤
This happened to me a few years ago after I split with my ex - it was the first Christmas that I’d ever spent alone and I was dreading it. But I only said to my husband yesterday, that it was actually one of the nicest Christmas mornings that I’ve ever had. I made eggs Benedict for myself, had a bath and got ready at a leisurely pace - no one was rushing me and it was so peaceful. Do something extra special for yourself and try to enjoy it. Sending lots of love! X

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This happened to me a few years ago after I split with my ex - it was the first Christmas that I’d ever spent alone and I was dreading it. But I only said to my husband yesterday, that it was actually one of the nicest Christmas mornings that I’ve ever had. I made eggs Benedict for myself, had a bath and got ready at a leisurely pace - no one was rushing me and it was so peaceful. Do something extra special for yourself and try to enjoy it. Sending lots of love! X
that’s lovely, thanks for sharing. I think I’m going to take your advice and spend the morning having a pamper! hope you have a lovely day too :giggle:

• Heart
Reactions: 5
that’s lovely, thanks for sharing. I think I’m going to take your advice and spend the morning having a pamper! hope you have a lovely day too :giggle:
We could start a chatter thread, I'm sure there will be people around in the same situation or who just want to escape for a sec from all the family Xmas stuff!

Reactions: 3
I worked last night back in tonight. Worked all week also doing extra tomorrow night then off for a few days back in for New Year’s Eve for 9 nights. Think tonight will be the worst night as I woke up to see family for Xmas dinner and couldn’t get to sleep right away when I got home this morning. An hours nap now before work 😴
Already have next Xmas booked off 😄

Reactions: 1
Actually had a nice day considering the personal stuff going on in life. Food was wonderful and it seems like a lot of our neighbours have gone off to places so it has been really quiet! I spent the afterrnoon doing my yearly ritual of watching the Muppet Christmas Carol...I love that film at this time of year and will never tire of it. Cannot believe it is now 30 years old. It's beautifully made.

Had a little nap then watched the King's speech on Youtube, and he did well with it I thought.

Just trying to distract myself now from the general anxiety I can't shake. Will feel better when I can ring my GP and ask for some additonal help.

Hope everyone has been okay today. It's nice to be able to come here and chatter. I remember when the internet was dead as a doornail on Christmas.

• Heart