What changes are you making this year?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Be more conscious of my spending. I’m going to monitor what goes in and out more and try save/ of debt.

Work on my weight. Medication made me gain 4 stone and it’s made me miserable. I have no body confidence at all and it really hinders me

Be more active. I’ve joined a bounce back to netball club and a running club. I’ve isolated myself a lot because of my MH and I’ve got 1 friend left who lives away. I’m trying to put myself out there and be more sociable. It’s hard.

Spend less time on SM. It’s a bit of a joy sucker.

Be kinder to myself and focus on what I have, not what I’ve not. I need to stop comparing myself to others.

Have more fun.

Do more things that make me happy and nourish me. Reading etc.

Spend more quality time with my husband and daughter. We spend a lot of time together but it can be passive.

Reactions: 8
Loose weight. I want to lose a stone. Know it's not massive but it's all I need to lose. Before my baby was born I was massively into fitness and eating healthy (not a diet, just eating healthy) then at 20 weeks pregnant I had a massive internal bleed (picked up on 20 week scan) and was told not to exercise and go onto office dutys at work (normally in a very active roll). I'll be back at work soon so hopefully that will help!

Also love the idea of cutting down. I've done it for my self but find it so hard to do for the kids 😫

Reactions: 2
Loose weight. I want to lose a stone. Know it's not massive but it's all I need to lose. Before my baby was born I was massively into fitness and eating healthy (not a diet, just eating healthy) then at 20 weeks pregnant I had a massive internal bleed (picked up on 20 week scan) and was told not to exercise and go onto office dutys at work (normally in a very active roll). I'll be back at work soon so hopefully that will help!

Also love the idea of cutting down. I've done it for my self but find it so hard to do for the kids 😫
Regarding cutting down with children I think car boots are good for toys, books and clothes. You can get some real bargains and the kids don't feel like they are missing out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I want to be consistent in the gym. I got really into last year and then fell off the wagon. I got back into it a few weeks ago after 6 months off and I have fallen in love with it again.
I love lifting weights and I’m buzzing to get super strong and further my knowledge even more. I’ve learn a lot about exercises, form, programs, tempo, tut, etc but so much more to learn.

Regarding cutting down with children I think car boots are good for toys, books and clothes. You can get some real bargains and the kids don't feel like they are messing out.
Its not the fact of them missing out. Its just my mum guilt. I buy them stuff they not only dont ask for but what they dont even need. I agree when people say they dont remember what they have, but who plays with them. But I just cant help my self.

Be more active. I’ve joined a bounce back to netball club and a running club. I’ve isolated myself a lot because of my MH and I’ve got 1 friend left who lives away. I’m trying to put myself out there and be more sociable. It’s hard.
How are you finding bounce back to netball? There is a club near me that I've been thinking about joining for over a year but just haven't found the courage.

I'm so socially awkward and my fitness is lacking (away to restart c25k to try get some base fitness) but I loved netball in school, even though that seems like a million years ago 😂

I'm trying to really face my grief head on. My son died 4 years ago and I feel, in a way, that I haven't tried to deal with it as much as I should've done. I want to live again like a somewhat normal person. I have had therapy and have been diagnosed with PTSD but I've never put much effort into the therapy.

Also want to try and get back in shape. My son is 1 in a month and I haven't lost any baby weight at all but I really want to try and lose that and more. Not feeling so hot about myself since my split with my husband and I want to gain some confidence again and as my weight is one of my main issues with myself, I'm going to start there.

And I hope by the end of the year we live somewhere nicer. The small place I rent now isn't great and too small so I'm on the hunt for something nicer. I could do with a better job first, which is another change I hope happens soon. Also looking.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
How are you finding bounce back to netball? There is a club near me that I've been thinking about joining for over a year but just haven't found the courage.

I'm so socially awkward and my fitness is lacking (away to restart c25k to try get some base fitness) but I loved netball in school, even though that seems like a million years ago 😂
I love it. I’ve persuaded my sister to come along too. I’ve been doing couch to 5k and it’s good. But the netball goes in so fast.
Id really recommend it. Who knows if we’re near we might meet at a tournament lol.
I hadn’t played in 12 years.

I love it. I’ve persuaded my sister to come along too. I’ve been doing couch to 5k and it’s good. But the netball goes in so fast.
Id really recommend it. Who knows if we’re near we might meet at a tournament lol.
I hadn’t played in 12 years.
I think I'll complete the c25k first and then maybe give it a try. I want to do it but the old anxiety of PE class bubbles up haha

I think I'll complete the c25k first and then maybe give it a try. I want to do it but the old anxiety of PE class bubbles up haha
You take it at your own pace and if you need to sit it out you can. My sister has bad fitness but she’s doing grand.

I'm trying to really face my grief head on. My son died 4 years ago and I feel, in a way, that I haven't tried to deal with it as much as I should've done. I want to live again like a somewhat normal person. I have had therapy and have been diagnosed with PTSD but I've never put much effort into the therapy.

Also want to try and get back in shape. My son is 1 in a month and I haven't lost any baby weight at all but I really want to try and lose that and more. Not feeling so hot about myself since my split with my husband and I want to gain some confidence again and as my weight is one of my main issues with myself, I'm going to start there.

And I hope by the end of the year we live somewhere nicer. The small place I rent now isn't great and too small so I'm on the hunt for something nicer. I could do with a better job first, which is another change I hope happens soon. Also looking.
I wish you all the very best xx

👍I love the post just above mine... Didn't quote it because it's so long.

The word that stands out to me is Contentment.
It''s is a really underrated emotion. We are told we should always be pushing and striving for more.

I'm not quite where you are at in my buying habits but am working on it. I find that not going to the shops helps, then I can't see what I could buy.

I am happier in my garden or reading a book than shopping but so much of society is set up to get us shopping,

I really appreciate your advice.
I love this! I wear what I have, and the same applies to my family. I try not to go to the shops. I love really good coffee, so meeting a friend for a chat with good coffee makes me happy. I go to the library regularly and read books. I enjoy cooking for my family and walking the dog. Consumerism is rife, and on Instagram it is everywhere with swipe ups galore and influencers telling us we must buy whatever it is they have been paid to tell us to buy. I realise I don’t need more stuff in my life. I actually enjoy helping and giving to charities or people that need it more. We have definitely cut down our spending as a family and it’s better for us.

• Heart
Such an interesting thread! And they say Tattle is just a “troll site” pfffft!

My husband and I set a few goals for this year...

We switched our diet to 4 days veggie/3 days meat meals each week. We’ll never give up meat but felt that it’s healthier/better for the environment etc to cut it down. Now we also buy much better quality meat because we’re not having it all the time. And we’re losing weight! Bonus!

Adding to that I also set a goal of cooking a new meal every week that we’ve never had before. Especially with cooking more veggie food I wasn’t confident that we’d just end up with a veg curry constantly. We’ve found some amazing recipes and definitely fallen back in love with cooking again.

We did do a “no spend” January (except food/toiletries) and it really helps just be more mindful I suppose. As others have said I know it’s a bit of a thing right now but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. FTR I don’t watch any you tubers so didn’t know how much of a thing it is!

And this went on a lot longer than I planned! Sorry! 🤭

Reactions: 3
Do you have any specific questions about low-buy that you'd like to ask? I'm happy to discuss. :)

I have a big birthday this year and I’m planning at least 3 holidays so I’ll be doing low buy as a way to pay for them 😂 I was wondering if you include holidays or if you have them and spend/buy freely? It’s something I would really like to start doing

Such an interesting thread! And they say Tattle is just a “troll site” pfffft!

My husband and I set a few goals for this year...

We switched our diet to 4 days veggie/3 days meat meals each week. We’ll never give up meat but felt that it’s healthier/better for the environment etc to cut it down. Now we also buy much better quality meat because we’re not having it all the time. And we’re losing weight! Bonus!

Adding to that I also set a goal of cooking a new meal every week that we’ve never had before. Especially with cooking more veggie food I wasn’t confident that we’d just end up with a veg curry constantly. We’ve found some amazing recipes and definitely fallen back in love with cooking again.

We did do a “no spend” January (except food/toiletries) and it really helps just be more mindful I suppose. As others have said I know it’s a bit of a thing right now but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. FTR I don’t watch any you tubers so didn’t know how much of a thing it is!

And this went on a lot longer than I planned! Sorry! 🤭
I love the new meal every week idea! It's reminded me that I wanted to learn how to properly plate up food (like they do in restaurants).
I think that's one of the changes I'll be adding to my list: to practice plating up food properly- perhaps starting with lunch everyday, until I'm better at it and can make all my meals look like there's a chef hidden in my kitchen, lol!
Off to search for tutorials!

have a big birthday this year and I’m planning at least 3 holidays so I’ll be doing low buy as a way to pay for them 😂 I was wondering if you include holidays or if you have them and spend/buy freely? It’s something I would really like to start doing
Happy birthday in advance! :D
Great question! Personally, I would not include a holiday or an 'experience' in my low-buy approach. For me, the low-buy was never about how much money spent, it is about making mindful choices, appreciating and fully using what I already own, and not giving in to the endless consumerism that leaves us perpetually dissatisfied.
Experiences (for eg. I love the ballet and theater, and go regularly) or holidays are all part of living life and creating memories. That's not, in my mind, part of the 'fear of missing out' consumption cycle.
However, I would avoid buying new clothes specifically for a holiday. In most cases, we can create a holiday wardrobe from what we already own, yet people are constantly buying new clothes specifically for a trip.

Also whilst on holiday, I don't buy anything that I can get at home. I only buy souvenirs made by local artisans that I can use for years and that will hold sentimental value related to the trip.
I've bought paintings from deaf/mute sisters in Thailand that have been on my walls for almost 7 years now; a handmade necklace from a villager in Indonesia that I wear every summer; a handmade purse from a leather worker in Corfu that is going strong 12 years on. That's still low-buy appropriate as I usually only bring home 1 or 2 items more than I took with me, but those few items are more unique and meaningful than shopping in the designer stores in a new city and bringing back tons of stuff I don't actually need.

Having said all of that, it's up to you how you approach it. There are no hard rules, so long as you make intentional decisions and feel content with your approach, there should be no need to limit the fun you have with a low-buy. (y)

Reactions: 5
Happy birthday in advance! :D

Thank you!
I’m off to New York for the first time in a few weeks and I will bringing back some souvenirs and American sweets/cereal for the kids in my family. I’m not buying any new clothes for going as it will still be cold and I’ve been advised to dress comfy. I bought new clothes with Xmas money in the sales so I definitely don’t need anything else.

I’m terrible for buying something and never using it or wearing it so this year I need to learn to utilise what I already have 😀

To lose weight firstly
To believe I'm worth something secondly
To stop people pleasing so much
To stop caring about being liked
To get a handle on depression and start living instead of existing.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
To lose weight firstly
To believe I'm worth something secondly
To stop people pleasing so much
To stop caring about being liked
To get a handle on depression and start living instead of existing.
I could have written this myself.
I would just add find a job that I like too!

Good luck with everything!

• Heart
1. Save money
2. Get pregnant
3. Move to bigger house in a better area