What changes are you making this year?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I must say this low buying is going quite well. Normally by now Id have bought some clothes/makeup things I don't really need but I haven't bought anything. I think once you get in the mindset of you don't need it and use what you've already got its quite easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I must say this low buying is going quite well. Normally by now Id have bought some clothes/makeup things I don't really need but I haven't bought anything. I think once you get in the mindset of you don't need it and use what you've already got its quite easy.
That's exactly what I found! It just gets easier and easier to enjoy what you already have. (y)
This is why I ranted initially about the Youtube channels now trending with these no-buys: they all make out like it's an impossible challenge and there have to be all these complex 'rules for every eventuality'. I understand that they are doing it for content, but that approach creates an unhealthy relationship with money and material goods in the minds of their impressionable audience. These influenzas already have a lot to answer for in promoting mass consumerism and hauls that are destroying our planet.
But, I digress. šŸ˜Š
I'm glad you're on board and enjoying it. Thanks for posting an update. :)

The only change I have yet to implement from my list is less screen time. I'm still on sick leave and bored witless, so I keep browsing forums and watching nonsense on Youtube. :p

Reactions: 2
That's exactly what I found! It just gets easier and easier to enjoy what you already have. (y)
This is why I ranted initially about the Youtube channels now trending with these no-buys: they all make out like it's an impossible challenge and there have to be all these complex 'rules for every eventuality'. I understand that they are doing it for content, but that approach creates an unhealthy relationship with money and material goods in the minds of their impressionable audience. These influenzas already have a lot to answer for in promoting mass consumerism and hauls that are destroying our planet.
But, I digress. šŸ˜Š
I'm glad you're on board and enjoying it. Thanks for posting an update. :)

The only change I have yet to implement from my list is less screen time. I'm still on sick leave and bored witless, so I keep browsing forums and watching nonsense on Youtube. :p
I find its better to use screen time to combat boredom then going shopping. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm doing a combined registry in haematology and psychiatry and it's taking me years... and now I feel awful these past few months becsuse I want to change and I can't.

I regret not doing peatiatrics. Hopefully I can do something about it but for now goal is to somehow get into haemo and psych with kids lol

My goal is just my career. I've had 3 long term relationships from age 14 to now and now I just want to be alone and get my career sorted. It's always been more important than any fella I've dated.

I'm doing a combined registry in haematology and psychiatry and it's taking me years... and now I feel awful these past few months becsuse I want to change and I can't.

I regret not doing peatiatrics. Hopefully I can do something about it but for now goal is to somehow get into haemo and psych with kids lol

My goal is just my career. I've had 3 long term relationships from age 14 to now and now I just want to be alone and get my career sorted. It's always been more important than any fella I've dated.
I like your idea of specializing in Pediatric haematology or psychiatry as your next step. That converts your current education into a path that is closer to your passion. It will take more time but it's entirely worth it if the end result is that you are in a career you love. :)

Wishing you the best of luck and very happy to hear that you're investing in yourself above a relationship. Hopefully your successful career will lead to a partner who respects values your work ethic!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Iā€™m going to make big changes with regard to my pension and stop burying my head in the ground. Hopefully the me Iā€™ll be in 30 years will be very grateful to the me I am now!

Reactions: 4
I like your idea of specializing in Pediatric haematology or psychiatry as your next step. That converts your current education into a path that is closer to your passion. It will take more time but it's entirely worth it if the end result is that you are in a career you love. :)

Wishing you the best of luck and very happy to hear that you're investing in yourself above a relationship. Hopefully your successful career will lead to a partner who respects values your work ethic!
Thanks !! Me first then hopefully I'll just meet someone and it will fall into place

• Heart
Stop buying loads of food in the supermarket and throwing it away because I eat out so much. Plan meals better

Also cut back on the eating out

Sort out my debts ^ hopefully both of the above will help

Be more time productive on my day off so actually clean/ tidy house rather than tattle and Reddit all day

Reactions: 4
I just thought I would check in with a quick update. Last year every month when pay day came round I would go shopping and buy clothes and makeup that I didn't really need etc. This year so far my payday treats have been....

2 ikea storage jars for my cereal as I didn't have enough
2 pyrex dishes for leftover food
a packet of mint m&m's as ive never tried those before. šŸ˜Š

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Things to work on this year:
Try and stay well out of workplace drama šŸ¤”
Not taking phone up to bed.
Making days off more worthwhile. Now national trust member so no excuse.
Eat better / drink less alcohol šŸ˜

I just thought I would check in with a quick update. Last year every month when pay day came round I would go shopping and buy clothes and makeup that I didn't really need etc. This year so far my payday treats have been....

2 ikea storage jars for my cereal as I didn't have enough
2 pyrex dishes for leftover food
a packet of mint m&m's as ive never tried those before. šŸ˜Š
Thanks for the update and well done!
Ironically, whilst every other year has been an easy low-buy for me, this year went the other way.
I have bought 8 items that were not originally on my list. My excuse is that there was a designer warehouse sale (clearance sale on designer goods from several seasons ago) and I got everything at 90% off (each item came in under Ā£25 and in absolutely perfect condition).
Each piece is a practical and fun addition to my wardrobe (2 pairs of jeans, 2 handbags, 3 tops and 1 pair of shoes), but I'm still quite cross with myself! I completely forgot about my low-buy in the excitement of that sale. :confused:
Now I've got to get back on track for the rest of the year....

Try and stay well out of workplace drama šŸ¤”
That's a particularly good one!

Thanks for the update and well done!
Ironically, whilst every other year has been an easy low-buy for me, this year went the other way.
I have bought 8 items that were not originally on my list. My excuse is that there was a designer warehouse sale (clearance sale on designer goods from several seasons ago) and I got everything at 90% off (each item came in under Ā£25 and in absolutely perfect condition).
Each piece is a practical and fun addition to my wardrobe (2 pairs of jeans, 2 handbags, 3 tops and 1 pair of shoes), but I'm still quite cross with myself! I completely forgot about my low-buy in the excitement of that sale. :confused:
Now I've got to get back on track for the rest of the year....

That's a particularly good one!
Well TBH I would probably be the same if I went to a designer warehouse sale. šŸ˜Š

• Haha
Iā€™ve turned 25 this year and decided to start seriously saving for a house!
So my changes this year include

1) aiming to buy less/spend less, especially on clothes and to ā€œshop my own wardrobeā€ more before looking to buy something new
2) more environmentally friendly changes. Iā€™m already a vegetarian and recycle as much as I can, but now Iā€™m looking to cut down on eggs/dairy, walk more/drive less and cut down on waste. Iā€™ve invested in a moon cup, and got some reusable cotton pads that can be washed again rather than throwing disposable ones in the bin!
3) save at least Ā£350 in a month

Reactions: 5
Well TBH I would probably be the same if I went to a designer warehouse sale. šŸ˜Š
Phew! I'm not alone! :LOL:
Normally I wouldn't even look in on these sales, but I thought I'd just have a wee browse...next thing you know, I have a basket full of goodies! :LOL:

• Haha
Less time on Social Media
Unfollow all influenceres/bloggers
Lunch plan, I tend to buy lunch out every day
Continue to make myself a priority
Keep my space clutter free

• Save more money for my home deposit
  • Less spending on items I don't want/need
  • De-clutter and be more minimal (goes with the above!)
  • Get a hobby. I've started diamond painting and cross stitching and I really enjoy it. Helps my MH a lot.
  • Less time on social media/phone / unfollow more accounts / people.
  • Finish my PhD!
  • Do more outdoor things. I enjoy hiking so I want to do this at least once a month.
  • I want to start dancing again. I used to do tap, ballet and jazz as a kid. Looking at tap classes šŸ™‚
Will keep checking in! Good luck to everyone šŸ™‚

- More sensible spending and thoughtful purchases; really considering before I buy
- More balance in my eating; fruit and veggies being the focus
- Continue to shift towards eating less meat
- Keeping on top of household chores rather than letting things build up
- Living in the moment; try not to worry or stress over what could or might be and enjoy the right now
- A concerted effort to actually do things in the evenings after work, instead of endless scrolling on my phone - even if it is just watching something on Netflix

- A concerted effort to actually do things in the evenings after work, instead of endless scrolling on my phone - even if it is just watching something on Netflix
Yes! I'm WFH and I jump from my laptop screen to my phone screen. I'm amazed when I watch something on TV without checking my phone multiple times, how bad is that šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Yes! I'm WFH and I jump from my laptop screen to my phone screen. I'm amazed when I watch something on TV without checking my phone multiple times, how bad is that šŸ˜‚
God, same.

Last year I got into a good routine of doing 20 minutes exercise, 20 minutes reading and 20 minutes of something creative each day and it did help my MH. It didnā€™t feel like an unrealistic target. Iā€™m going to start that again.

As @mcfeez said, I too want to start to live in the moment more. Iā€™ve spent years with a lot of dread about things not ā€œworking outā€ for me, and you know what, Iā€™m still not really any closer to what I wanted. The dream hasnā€™t come true like I hoped. Kind of a waste of time to fear that all the time though. Time to just crack on I think!

Each year I try to think of some key words that I want to embody / bring into my life more. Like one year it was ā€œconfidenceā€. Another year it was ā€œrelaxed disciplineā€. Found that quite a helpful way to steer myself.

Good luck to everyone embarking on something this year!

1. Iā€™m hoping to keep up with our change of lifestyle in regards to food. Cooking everything from scratch, filling up on fruit and eating minimal takeaways. Weā€™ve been like this for the last year, but slipped a bit over November/December.

2. we need to finish the jobs in our current house so that we can get it sold later this year and hopefully move to our more permanent home.

3. stick with low buy. Iā€™ve done this for a long time too, Iā€™ve always been a minimalist and Iā€™m not hugely materialistic (apart from making my house look nice). I hardly ever buy clothes or shoes and it feels good when I see my bank balance.