What Are Your Hobbies?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn't find a thread about this, so I thought I'd start one!

It's a question that takes me back to awkward first dates and GCSE French lessons, but even so, I'm curious to know what you guys' hobbies are. I've done various things on and off throughout my life, but I've decided to try and stick to something for once. So, I'm currently trying to teach myself guitar and I'm really enjoying running. I'm also looking into various arts and crafts and have booked onto a virtual craft afternoon run by a local shop. Just trying to better myself and have a bit more fun rather than just watching TV and reading!

So, what do you guys get up to, then? :giggle:

Reactions: 14
I couldn't find a thread about this, so I thought I'd start one!

It's a question that takes me back to awkward first dates and GCSE French lessons, but even so, I'm curious to know what you guys' hobbies are. I've done various things on and off throughout my life, but I've decided to try and stick to something for once. So, I'm currently trying to teach myself guitar and I'm really enjoying running. I'm also looking into various arts and crafts and have booked onto a virtual craft afternoon run by a local shop. Just trying to better myself and have a bit more fun rather than just watching TV and reading!

So, what do you guys get up to, then? :giggle:
I wish I had the patience to learn an instrument, I am always in awe of people who can play.

I like photography and writing, and I read a lot. I used to go to the gym almost every day but since lockdown I haven't been, so just been running and walking outside. I also like craft beer and trying new recipes :).

Reactions: 9
I don’t have any hobbies but need to get one!! I have just started walking more, might try C25k again and also thinking of doing body pump at home.
I like baking and used to enjoy sewing but now have no machine, so that might be an option.
i will be looking to see what hobbies people have for ideas, I am rubbish at art and tried musical instruments in the past and was no good at that either πŸ€”

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I wish I had the patience to learn an instrument, I am always in awe of people who can play.

I like photography and writing, and I read a lot. I used to go to the gym almost every day but since lockdown I haven't been, so just been running and walking outside. I also like craft beer and trying new recipes :).
What sort of things do you write? They say everyone has a novel in them, but I really don't think there's one in me πŸ˜‚

I don’t have any hobbies but need to get one!! I have just started walking more, might try C25k again and also thinking of doing body pump at home.
I like baking and used to enjoy sewing but now have no machine, so that might be an option.
i will be looking to see what hobbies people have for ideas, I am rubbish at art and tried musical instruments in the past and was no good at that either πŸ€”
C25k is really good! I started it at the beginning of lockdown. I really didn't believe it would work, but it's fab!

Reactions: 2
What sort of things do you write? They say everyone has a novel in them, but I really don't think there's one in me πŸ˜‚

C25k is really good! I started it at the beginning of lockdown. I really didn't believe it would work, but it's fab!
Well, I have a blog but it is not well known at all. I like writing on there though. Book reviews, make up reviews, recipes, things about London etc. I also write a lot of content for my job, but that somewhat takes the shine off it when I do it on my free time.

If there is a novel in everyone I have probably written several now with the amount I have published. Unfortunately it wouldn't be one people would want to read πŸ˜‚.

Reactions: 1
Photography, gym and baking are my main ones. I’m also learning to speak German as I’d love to emigrate there one day. During lockdown I bought myself a gel nail lamp and polishes to do my nails with. I actually really enjoy doing it and it’s so much cheaper. I guess that’s a hobby?!

Great idea for a thread!

I feel mindless browsing of the internet has taken space that was usually dedicated to hobbies. I don't mean here (πŸ˜‚), just those pointless, endless scrolls that end up with you looking up and saying, where the hell did the last 10/30/120 minutes go πŸ˜“

So, outside of being a professional winge, I am teaching myself to play the flute and read music. I also loved working out but had some nasty injuries over lockdown so am doing the sensible thing of resting up and eating my bodyweight in fish and chips πŸ‘πŸ»

I used to relish a good book but my job involves reading a lot of materials every day so I find it hard to get into reading for pleasure after a day of doing it for pain πŸ˜‚ I've just written a children's book which I'd love to send off.

I also used to do lots of drama and acting but sort of fell out of love with it (there's a whole PhD in the psychology of amateur dramatic groups, I can tell you!). Will definitely look to get back into it or set a group up for actors/ writers etc. after lockdown.

And therein ends my sermon.

• Heart
Book reviews,
That's so cool!

Last week I wrote a list of recommendations for a friend who has barely read anything at all and I really, really enjoyed writing about why I was recommending particular titles, even if a book wasn't really one I'd particularly enjoyed. I'm too much of a wimp to actually publish any reviews online I reckon!

Great idea for a thread!

I feel mindless browsing of the internet has taken space that was usually dedicated to hobbies. I don't mean here (πŸ˜‚), just those pointless, endless scrolls that end up with you looking up and saying, where the hell did the last 10/30/120 minutes go πŸ˜“

So, outside of being a professional winge, I am teaching myself to play the flute and read music. I also loved working out but had some nasty injuries over lockdown so am doing the sensible thing of resting up and eating my bodyweight in fish and chips πŸ‘πŸ»

I used to relish a good book but my job involves reading a lot of materials every day so I find it hard to get into reading for pleasure after a day of doing it for pain πŸ˜‚ I've just written a children's book which I'd love to send off.

I also used to do lots of drama and acting but sort of fell out of love with it (there's a whole PhD in the psychology of amateur dramatic groups, I can tell you!). Will definitely look to get back into it or set a group up for actors/ writers etc. after lockdown.

That all sounds great!

I think lockdown has just made me realise that I do/did f all with my life outside of working and studying and worrying about working and studying. Definitely going to try to get myself out there when the lockdown lifts more and normality resumes a bit more. There's a whole world out there, Skvallertant! πŸ˜‰

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Great idea for a thread!

I can play the flute πŸ™‚ I learnt from age 9 but stopped in my teenage years. It’s a great instrument! I’ve always wanted to play the violin.

Reactions: 7
That's so cool!

Last week I wrote a list of recommendations for a friend who has barely read anything at all and I really, really enjoyed writing about why I was recommending particular titles, even if a book wasn't really one I'd particularly enjoyed. I'm too much of a wimp to actually publish any reviews online I reckon!
Do it! The best reviewers concentrate on things like emotion, character building etc. I hate ones that just use reviews to show off how well read they are "X's use of pigeons is reminiscent of
Lacan's early musings into the symbolic order'. Blah blah blah. I'd love to read reviews from the heart. That way, I know if I'll like the book or not!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Do it! The best reviewers concentrate on things like emotion, character building etc. I hate ones that just use reviews to show off how well read they are "X's use of pigeons is reminiscent of
Lacan's early musings into the symbolic order'. Blah blah blah. I'd love to read reviews from the heart. That way, I know if I'll like the book or not!
My MA was in literary linguistics so, I'm basically so bored and done with trying to sound smart! πŸ˜‚ Maybe I'll write a few and link them here haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I can play the flute πŸ™‚ I learnt from age 9 but stopped in my teenage years. It’s a great instrument! I’ve always wanted to play the violin.
Amazing!! I bet you'd remember loads. I had a few lessons when my school offered them for free and absolutely loved it. Was a big fan of the man with the golden flute! I tried playing guitar but was DREADFUL. My hand to brain pathway was definitely on divert!

My MA was in literary linguistics so, I'm basically so bored and done with trying to sound smart! πŸ˜‚ Maybe I'll write a few and link them here haha
English lit and cultural theory MA here! I hear you πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Absolutely! Gopher it!

That's so cool!

That all sounds great!

I think lockdown has just made me realise that I do/did f all with my life outside of working and studying and worrying about working and studying. Definitely going to try to get myself out there when the lockdown lifts more and normality resumes a bit more. There's a whole world out there, Skvallertant! πŸ˜‰

You should do it! I am not particularly insightful in my reviews, but I have a particular taste in books and I am getting better. I find it interesting to review them and also read what other people thought of a book. Sometimes we take different things from them depending on our personal perspectives :).

Amazing!! I bet you'd remember loads. I had a few lessons when my school offered them for free and absolutely loved it. Was a big fan of the man with the golden flute! I tried playing guitar but was DREADFUL. My hand to brain pathway was definitely on divert!

English lit and cultural theory MA here! I hear you πŸ™ŒπŸ™ŒπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Absolutely! Gopher it!
Holla! πŸ™Œ

Regarding the flute, have you been practicing your Ian Anderson one legged jazz flute pose? (showing my questionable taste, here)

Spending money I don't have, eating and wondering why I'm getting fat. Seriously though pre pandemic I loved going to gigs and the theatre but that's off for now. I'm hoping to take up photography as I've found a love for that.

Reactions: 8
I started gardening this spring, mainly focusing on veg!

I did potatoes, lettuce, Broad beans, runner beans, carrots, tomatoes, garlic and onions.

also grew some lupine plants, sunflowers, and sweet peas all from seed.

first year growing anything and I loved it, already planning my Veg boxes for next year! Xxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I love painting, when I can fit it in between My 4yo and 18m old and working part time! I do abstracts in acrylic and alcohol inks mainly.
Also love cooking. I used to read a lot but hardly read at all at the moment, should really make more of an effort to get off my phone and pick up a book!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Holla! πŸ™Œ

Regarding the flute, have you been practicing your Ian Anderson one legged jazz flute pose? (showing my questionable taste, here)
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Absolutely! I mean, what better role model is there!? Haha. Actually laughed at that.

I love painting, when I can fit it in between My 4yo and 18m old and working part time! I do abstracts in acrylic and alcohol inks mainly.
Also love cooking. I used to read a lot but hardly read at all at the moment, should really make more of an effort to get off my phone and pick up a book!
Love it! What do you paint on? Do you keep them? Are your little ones arty? My mum is very artistic and I'm fair to middling at best but the art gene completely bypassed my brother and sister πŸ˜‚ I used to love art at school but it did take over your life doing the bloomin' GCSE Portfolio!

I did potatoes, lettuce, Broad beans, runner beans, carrots, tomatoes, garlic and onions.

first year growing anything and I loved it, already planning my Veg boxes for next year! Xxxx
Fantastic!! Was this in your garden or an allotment? Where did you go for info? I'd love to start but don't know how!

Spending money I don't have, eating and wondering why I'm getting fat. Seriously though pre pandemic I loved going to gigs and the theatre but that's off for now. I'm hoping to take up photography as I've found a love for that.
A men to all of that.

Last edited:
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Absolutely! I mean, what better role model is there!? Haha. Actually laughed at that
I'm here all week πŸ˜‚

That sounds lovely! Do you find it therapeutic?

• Haha
Yes art seems to run in my family! My grandad, my mum, auntie and cousins are all artistic and my son loves painting. I framed one of his paintings he did at school and it hangs in my kitchen with some of mine and some I’ve bought :)
I paint on canvas and paper, I love a big canvas :)
Yes I keep most of them though have sold a few through Instagram or given to family and friends. I get scared to sell them in case people don’t like them πŸ˜‚ and I’ve no idea how to price, plus I don’t really have time to do all the extra stuff like packaging and posting at the minute! One day I hope to sell more though!

Great idea for a thread!

I agree, I mindlessly scroll and realise I’ve wasted hours doing nothing!

• Heart
Reactions: 3