What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 30th birthday was in January this year. Now, I appreciate that we were in the middle of lockdown 3 and it was hard to buy gifts & we couldn’t do much, but my mum got me a pink toolkit because ‘every 30 year old should have their own tool kit’ - she was buzzing with it. My face couldn’t hide the sheer horror.
Id also asked for some new gin glasses & sent her images to ones I liked… she got me ONE PERSONALISED GIN GLASS & I really really hate personalised tit. & the glass was ugly looked like something out of weatherspoons.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 8
I get people Jo Malone and Aesop goodies, so not exactly crap, but somehow I get so many tit presents in return it’s unbelievable. Sometimes I wonder if it’s because of me, am I undeserving???

• Heart
I get people Jo Malone and Aesop goodies, so not exactly crap, but somehow I get so many tit presents in return it’s unbelievable. Sometimes I wonder if it’s because of me, am I undeserving???
Same, I have one relative who I get lovely things from Joules, Boden etc and she gets me some crap from TK Max or something that I swear is regifted

Reactions: 3
I remember when I was about 15, my Dad bought my mum a new ironing board and iron for her birthday. He genuinely thought she would be over the moon.
This reminds me of the time when my Dad, brother and I, bought a frying pan as a present for Mum at Christmas. Her face was a picture when she unwrapped it, we were in our early teens and couldn't understand why she was so upset. Now I am an adult, I can totally understand the way she felt.
So whenever Christmas and birthdays come around, I make it clear that I don't want any "practical" presents.

Reactions: 5
For my hubbys birthday his mum gave him a pair of slippers...as he was opening them she said "oh we bought them for your grandad originally but he didn't like them so we've given them to you" 🙈 they were gross aswell and quite clearly worn, but he's too polite to just get rid of them and buy some new ones, he insists on wearing them about the house everyday

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I feel you, not to toot my own horn but I like to think I’m quite good at giving gifts and I always make sure I buy something they’ll like and then it’s a bit disheartening when you get a B&M mug or even better something they got free from the charity shop because they volunteer there.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Honestly it's not you hun. Drop those people and spend that money on yourself. It's not about the price but the lack of thought. This was a hard lesson for me too to learn. The final straw was last year when I did send gifts for 4 of my best friends. Things like flowers from Bloom & Wild, chocolate and a graze snack box. When my birthday came around I didn't even get a happy birthday from 3 of them.

I'm not sorry that I won't be bothering this year.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
Honestly it's not you hun. Drop those people and spend that money on yourself. It's not about the price but the lack of thought. This was a hard lesson for me too to learn. The final straw was last year when I did send gifts for 4 of my best friends. Things like flowers from Bloom & Wild, chocolate and a graze snack box. When my birthday came around I didn't even get a happy birthday from 3 of them.

I'm not sorry that I won't be bothering this year.
That’s awful it’s there loss not yours.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Same, I have one relative who I get lovely things from Joules, Boden etc and she gets me some crap from TK Max or something that I swear is regifted
Unless there are any major identifying marks on the box/packaging just wrap these things up and gift them back. If they query it (which they may not even do) just tell them you thought it was such a great and thoughtful gift you wanted to steal their idea and share lovely xyz with them.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Unless there are any major identifying marks on the box/packaging just wrap these things up and gift them back. If they query it (which they may not even do) just tell them you thought it was such a great and thoughtful gift you wanted to steal their idea and share lovely xyz with them.
Yes. Treat them like they treat you.
See if they like it.

This thread is priceless. I wonder though what people think of the gifts we buy for them. I always put thought into everything I buy so I hope they are well received.

This year we had a text from DIL saying don't buy aftershave or sweets for her hubby as he only likes one aftershave and he's plenty. Have to admit though that we've bought good quality, great smelling big names previously though.

Reactions: 3
I‘ve already received a parcel from my mum that had a pair of pale pink fluffy mule slippers two sizes too small. Totally not my style at all. They just happened to be her size, BTW. I say pale pink. They’re very faded pink with that tinge of yellow from the glue used to put them together. I swear the soles are lined with cardboard covered in fabric. When I told her they were too small she said she knew my size but forgot to check before sending them. Okay. 🙄 She suggested if they are so small I could just cut the closed toe area off so they would fit.
She spent £26 to post these crappy things to me. I am sure they didn’t cost her anything and she got them free from Kay’s catalogue in 1987. They’re already in the bin.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
I‘ve already received a parcel from my mum that had a pair of pale pink fluffy mule slippers two sizes too small. Totally not my style at all. They just happened to be her size, BTW. I say pale pink. They’re very faded pink with that tinge of yellow from the glue used to put them together. I swear the soles are lined with cardboard covered in fabric. When I told her they were too small she said she knew my size but forgot to check before sending them. Okay. 🙄 She suggested if they are so small I could just cut the closed toe area off so they would fit.
She spent £26 to post these crappy things to me. I am sure they didn’t cost her anything and she got them free from Kay’s catalogue in 1987. They’re already in the bin.
I remember Kays catalogue! My mum used to order from there!!! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
To all of you who worry about tit presents, my niece has just received a pack of wet wipes from her Secret Santa. Tough to beat.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
Lol got to love peep toe slippers!. Last year my mum gave my daughter a sew your own winnie the pooh kit, nice, except that it was the same gift that had been given to me 30 years earlier and she could never be arsed to do with me 😆

• Haha
  • Wow
One year I was got a Gift With Purchase. I'd asked for a particular perfume and my sibling bought it for themselves and just gave me the GWP for Christmas. I think it was a mini and a soap in a small bag.

It's the thought that counts. Well, think again!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
To all of you who worry about tit presents, my niece has just received a pack of wet wipes from her Secret Santa. Tough to beat.
I stopped doing Secret Santa because of a few situations like this - although not as bad as wet wipes!
One was a uni class where the tutor requested we have a go at making something for our person. I baked a box of really nice chocolate chip cookies, different flavours. The fella who got me - handed me a terrys chocolate orange (they were on offer in the shop on campus for £1).

Previous job, I went to effort making sure to get the girl who was mine a really nice bottle of wine, hand cream she used and lovely chocolates. Mine was obviously bought by a lazy man on the team as I got a bottle of room spray and potpurri - straight out of boots, price still on em.

• Sad