Wetherspoons

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What's your view on them? Seems one of those chains that's pretty marmite with people. A lot actually outright refuse to go in one.

About 7 years ago I used to quite like them. Cheap, but the quality of food was fairly decent. Last few years though they've just been getting crapper and crapper. All the food has a grey colour to it and the plates make it look even more depression. Not to mention you get about 5 chips. This isn't one particular one either, noticed it in every one I've been in.

They don't seem to be on any sort of decline though and as busy as ever :/

Reactions: 1
I don't rate it personally. Food is okay if youre starving but there's nicer pub food and the owner of the chain is a massive bell end so I avoid

Depends which ones you go to! There’s some real hidden gems but unfortunately a lot are a bit run down.
Also never go in with high expectations, a £5 meal is always going to taste like a £5 microwave meal …

Reactions: 3
I have mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, I appreciate the way buildings that might have been demolished - i.e. cinemas, are given a new lease of life.
However the food has really gone down hill in recent years, I found a peice of plastic packaging in my chicken tikka the other week!

I think it depends on where you go and what you order as well.

My local two are populated by students, TBF I think that’s their demographic - people who want quick cheap meals. I’ve enjoyed the meals I’ve had when I’ve been there but not been ‘wowed’ like some others claim to be. The fresher stuff I’ve had (salads, sub rolls) taste nicer than the bigger meals but I assume that’s because they’re not microwaved, you can tell a majority of Wetherspoons meals are microwaved. I mean, it’s probably the same for every pub but it seemed obvious when I’ve been in a spoons

Reactions: 2
I agree that it depends which one you go to. We have two in my town, and one of them is very rough. Shortly before covid happened I witnessed two blokes openly snorting cocaine off the table at about 7pm on a Saturday night when the place was packed. Didn’t even attempt to hide it. There are always fights in there as well. But the other one is much nicer and quieter. I’ve been in some really nice ones. There’s one in Colwyn Bay, North Wales that is an old cinema and that’s really nice. There was also a nice very modern one in Edinburgh. My Dad is obsessed with them and will always look for the local ‘spoons wherever he goes and chooses them over other, often nicer places. He has a real complex about places he feels are ‘too posh’ though.

spoons in my town is rough ha! But so entertaining, you just know that there will be a fight at some point during the night, someone getting kicked out, someone passed out in the loos.. something dramatic always happens.

We have door staff on Friday and Saturdays because it got really bad, the police used to park up outside for an hour or so on Fridays and Saturdays too.. just to be on standby in case something kicked off.

😂

• Haha
Has anyone been the ramsgate one? It’s the largest Wetherspoons it’s bloody huge! Went on a really hot evening a couple of summers ago and sat outside looking out the the beach. It was like being abroad! Can’t imagine it’s too nice on a cold rainy October day though 😂

The spoons in Liverpool street in London is like a bloody opera house lol. Its beautiful inside, if you haven't seen it, google it! I've been there once but it was so busy, we stayed for one drink and left but yeah it was amazing.

Reactions: 4
I think it really depends on the area. We’ve got 3 nearby and they’re all a bit crap / old man vibes. The one near my parents house is better but there’s a lot of fights haha. One of my friends ONLY goes to spoons so whenever I meet up with her we have to go. The one in Wimbledon is quite nice. The one at Liverpool Street is amazing! I went to one in Glasgow recently and it wasn’t too bad in there surprisingly 😅

I had chips at a beautiful one in an airport. Our local one is where the dross of society hang out, if there’re a fight or a crime you can bet it happened there!

I love the breakfast muffins in there... only had it twice, once at the airport and once before getting the train at my local crack den spoons...

Its annoying that they only sell bucks fizz and kir royals in the airport ones though.. But I did make my own by just ordering a little bottle of prosecco and a glass of orange juice in my local. I got some looks but you can't beat a bucks fizz for breakfast :ROFLMAO: #pissheadvibes

Omg totally forgot it’s not a holiday unless you go to the weatherspoons at the airport 🤣

• Haha
I agree that it depends which one you go to. We have two in my town, and one of them is very rough. Shortly before covid happened I witnessed two blokes openly snorting cocaine off the table at about 7pm on a Saturday night when the place was packed. Didn’t even attempt to hide it. There are always fights in there as well. But the other one is much nicer and quieter. I’ve been in some really nice ones. There’s one in Colwyn Bay, North Wales that is an old cinema and that’s really nice. There was also a nice very modern one in Edinburgh. My Dad is obsessed with them and will always look for the local ‘spoons wherever he goes and chooses them over other, often nicer places. He has a real complex about places he feels are ‘too posh’ though.
The one in Llandudno is in an old picture house and they have done it up beautifully. Only been in a couple of times in the afternoon when on holiday but nice atmosphere. My hubby always makes a note of where they are as he does not drink and likes the idea of buying 1 coffee and then having as many as he wants for free and also likes their brunch so we have been in quite a few of them and have to say not been in a tacky one yet. The one in Harrogate was the nicest one we have been in, I think. :)
That C5 programme last night about Wetherspoons last night explained the way they work and if you didn't see it it is on catchup.

As long as I don’t look at one of their propaganda magazines on the table i can enjoy their eggs benedict (or balmoral, with haggis) and a pleasant cappuccino for a very reasonable price.

The one in Llandudno is in an old picture house and they have done it up beautifully. Only been in a couple of times in the afternoon when on holiday but nice atmosphere. My hubby always makes a note of where they are as he does not drink and likes the idea of buying 1 coffee and then having as many as he wants for free and also likes their brunch so we have been in quite a few of them and have to say not been in a tacky one yet. The one in Harrogate was the nicest one we have been in, I think. :)
That C5 programme last night about Wetherspoons last night explained the way they work and if you didn't see it it is on catchup.
That programme last night definitely put me off the food more. Those curries looked grim in the microwavable packets.

I had chips at a beautiful one in an airport. Our local one is where the dross of society hang out, if there’re a fight or a crime you can bet it happened there!
I have now been in 88 of the 860 Wetherspoons pubs. I'll make a point of visiting one if I go anywhere I've not been to before. For the range of beers and the price.

They are very much a mixed bag. Some of their pubs are truely wonderful (Fox on the Hill - Camberwell, The Mossy Well - Crouch End, The Crosse Keys - Bank, The Watered Barn - St Albans, The Old Manor - Bracknell) are notable examples.

The Capitol in Forest Hill, The Regal in Gloucester and The Barrel Vault (although a bit pricier) are also very good.

Yet many of their pubs are utter dross, especially some of the older pubs in shop units. One of the worst I've visited is JJ Moons in Tooting.

The branch in Bath is too small to cope with the demand. You can never find a free table there. A second one is definately needed.

The newest London branch in Clapham Junction - The London and Southwestern - I visited last Sunday. A nicely done out pub that suffers with poor service. One person serving on the till, plus they failed to inform when ordering there was a 30-40 minute wait for food.

If you are into local real ales, one of the best I've been into is The Plough and Harrow in Hammersmith, a vastly understated Spoons pub (that has been threatened with closure in the past) that regularly has six to eight guest beers on.

Generally a bit rough in my area but love the prices and absolutely wouldn't mind if someone suggested to go there for a drink!
I also think the breakfasts are great value.