Wetherspoons

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went back to the 'London and Southwestern' in Clapham Junction last weekend, to see if the service was any better - it wasn't.

As soon as I walked in the door, I could see two queues of around six people at the bar and only one person serving. Another three were farting around behind the bar but not serving. I eventually got a drink after about ten minutes of waiting.

I then decided to order food on the app. The pizza arrived after about 15 minutes but no beer arrived. I had to chase this up with a passing member of staff and had nearly finished my pizza by the time it did finally arrive.

Some Spoons are more switched on than others with regards to app orders. The 'London and Southwestern' isn't one of those.

If I'm in that area again, I'll be going to 'The Asparagus' five minutes down the road. Far better service in there.

Haven't been Spoons since before the pandemic. Food is shite, no atmosphere, Tim Martin is a parasite.
Some people's hate of Wetherspoons is based upon their own personal politics, that is at odds with what Tim Martin is rightfully allowed to hold.

I've heard all sorts of BS spouted about Wetherspoons over the years:

Short dated beer - with 800+ pubs would all those suppliers really have that much short dated stock to supply that many pubs? I don't think so!

Also to add, Wetherspoons ate the largest purchaser of local real ales in the country. Would all those local breweries hold masses of short dated beer? Again, I think not!

Pays tit wages - No more tit than any other pub company that others seem to like going to. The Wetherspoons bonus and share scheme is the best in the industry. Brewdog treat their staff like crap, but I don't see the same people criticising them. I wonder why?

Treated staff badly during pandemic - I've spoken to a number of staff at my local branch about this. As usual BS was spread on social media and the 'triggered' in society picked it up, added their own BS and spun it. It was explained to staff that they were free to find alternative employer elsewhere during the lockdowns. The company would not pay more than furlough for staff who were still on the books. This was no different to many other companies. When pubs reopened all previous staff were contacted to see if they wanted to return.

Close down other pubs - If some pubs weren't so damn greedy then maybe they wouldn't have closed. You may be happy to pay £6+ a pint and £14 for a burger elsewhere, however not every one else is. Wetherspoons have successfully man-made to make the pub going experience cheaper for many.

Tim Martin supported Brexit - So what? He was entitled to so so, as much as you and others were entitled to support remain. If Tim happened to be a remainer, I doubt he would be getting half as much BS lobbed in his direction. Just goes to show how utterly stupid and pathetic some people are nowadays.

It is also worth noting that many Spoons are still busy with younger people and students - many of whom would have likely voted remain. They have either gotten over and accepted the result, or are utter hypocrites if they haven't.

Spoons are still among the busiest pubs in most towns and cities across the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Dislike for Tim Martin aside, I do actually like going in Wetherspoons in many places. The two closest to me, the Lantokay and the Quarter Jack are both very good while the one in my nearest big town (Yeovil) has been abysmal the few times I’ve been in there. So they can be a bit variable.
My 18 year old son likes them too as he’s autistic and he’s familiar with the menu so can order independently with minimal help from his PA when he goes on respite.
I always feel like there’s a lot of snobbery involved when people slag them off because the food is fairly cheap. Truthfully that’s all some of us can afford and it is at least relatively good value for money.

Reactions: 3
I have 4 near me, one is a bit rough, another is near the uni and often full of students and the other 2 are in the city centre and are OK. They’re cheap, you get what you pay for 🤷‍♀️ good places start a night out- when I first started going clubbing, if we didn’t have anywhere to pre drink we’d spend about 3 hours drinking in a spoons first 😂

Reactions: 1
I was in Central London last weekend.

Brewdog Punk IPA was £6.43 a pint in the Brewdog pub at Seven Dials.

The Spoons Montagu Pyke was £4.99 a pint.

Can someone please explain they think why nearly £1.50 a pint more on already expensive pint is any more better, or superior in a Brewdog?

The answer is, it isn't.

Same with guest beers.

Montagu Pyke = £3.49 a pint.

Other pubs in the area = well over £5 a pint - some nearing £6.

In a Wetherspoons near me they accidentally served 3 dry and wrinkled mushrooms with a ladies steak and a young lad came over and asked for them back 🤣

She put up a photo of said steak and the funny story on social media and I’d say it was 70% fat/gristle and 30% meat, if that.

I’ve been in there once and the banquette seat was so minging you needed a hazmat suit.