Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Been to see The Picture Of Dorian Gray tonight with Sarah Snook playing every character, aided by some incredible camera and LED screen work.

Absolutely astonishing piece of theatre. I know the story but even so the last 10-15 minutes she had me on the edge of my seat. Seriously never been so engaged in an Oscar Wilde piece.

Unfortunately it ends on Saturday and there's no tickets left otherwise I'd be insisting my partner go and see it, it's that good.
I wonder if there’ll be a pro shot of it? I always think it’s a shame when an excellent show comes to an end and there’s no record of it 🙁
---
he stood on a balcony and waved
How very R&J appropriate! 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 5

historyobliterates

Controversial opinion but I didn’t like the Wicked stage show at all! I was bored by it. The performers were all talented but it was slow and very little atmosphere - also the theatre was half empty. That didn’t help
Not so controversial. I've seen thr show once and could not tell you one thing about what happened in the show. I just find it very forgettable. Obviously with the exception of Drfying Gravity which is a song that's everywhere and Popular which was partially used by one of favourite singers, I couldn't even sing any of the songs.

But yeah, this is coming from someone who also didn't like Spring Awakening or Matilda despite the glowing reviews of both.

Idontknowwhatimdoing

Stage door at Hamilton is really organised. Barriers at the side of the theatre forming a queue, I assume there is a rota or they sort it out amongst themselves. The first time we went Jamael, Michael, Tarrin and some others came to the very orderly queue. Giles did not and we saw him escaping at pace towards Victoria. Others could take notes on how to do it safely and appropriately. And never appropriate to grab someone, people are so entitled. On the subject of alcohol, food and toilet breaks. This happens at concerts now too and it never used to. You can’t sit for 1 hour without needed to get up and go to loo!
i went to see Romens Raganathan last night, a whole bunch of the third row were really late (might have been transport issues) but they’d still stopped to get drinks on the way in, so rude! and then they were also late back from the interval! He called them out but they were so p***ed they just thought it was funny 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Sad

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I get what you're saying about not mentioning weight, but what doesn't sit so well with me is this is Wicked. A show adored mostly by young impressionable girls, and a story that is meant to be about inclusiveness, about being yourself and being different. Having someone around a size zero as one of the leads just seems to go against the ethos of the story, and seems very dated.

Plus, weight aside, her face has an almost alien look to it that stands out amongst everyone else.
Yes the bleached eyebrows look ridiculous. They should have gone with a brown tone to compliment the blonde rather than bleaching them to oblivion. She just looks ill.

Also, the trailer just makes me feel...'meh'.

kev1974

VIP Member
Currently in NYC for the last week of Appropriate but good evening and welcome to the latest Transatlantic instalment of Shut Up And Take My Money..

View attachment 3014996
oh wow, as in Sting? I loved that at the time, but it just disappeared (sank?) since then. There was supposed to be a big performance of it on the Newcastle Quayside which I had tickets for, went to Newcastle for, and then they cancelled it the night before, because the producers were charlatans.

Would love to see it again somewhere in the UK!

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
Just booked tickets to see Two Strangers (Carry a Cake Around New York) at The Criterion. Did anyone see it at The Kiln? I love Sam Tutty's voice.
Just saw this recently and absolutely loved it.
---
I've seen the pro shot of the original London production, can't say I found it overlay impressive as a musical. All the songs were quite samey with awful lyrics
me too but admit I would have loved to see this with Stark Sands and Billy Porter
---
He begs for freebies to review and stays with a friend
I swear to God if I find out he wangled freebies when he went to see Appropriate I will not be responsible for my actions, I know someone on that production and still had to pay for my tickets.. best i got was a slight upgrade to a more expensive stalls seat when both the so called stars were off with Covid
---
Had forgotten how dreadful that theatre is for toilet provision (for males anyway!) and curses upon the venue management for selling large tubs of popcorn. nearly all of the second half I had to suffer a woman noisily snuffling her way through what seemed to be an endless vat without a care for the rest of the rear stalls, constant noise from her trotter diving in to the tub and pushing the contents round and round and then chomping noise every so often :mad:
Speaking for grub at the theatre, the last couple of times I have seen a show the bar staff have opened the bags of fruit pastilles people boughtand poured them into a plastic cup (UGH plastic) to supposedly stop rustling... does anyone else want to tell them as well as me both times that seeets rattling round in a plastic cup is far noisier??

PS Saw Bend It Like Beckham at the Phoenix an absurd amount of times and I do not recall the toilet provision being that bad. (admittedly I am female)
---
---
Mickey Jo Theatre is now offering streaming tickets for a tenner to his sold out solo show. Anyone wanna take 1 for the team?
---
Mickey Jo Theatre is now offering streaming tickets for a tenner to his sold out solo show. Anyone wanna take 1 for the team?
---
Apologies for duplication I was trying to post as a separate comment :(

Last edited:

lilyannrose

VIP Member
I saw All About Eve a few years ago, that was the first one I saw with a screen and it was novel to me then.

I wonder if this is how things are going to tear young folk away from screens and into a theatre ? Not sure, just speculating.
I saw a production of Carousel in 2008 and the famous, beautiful opening number with the big reveal of the carousel at the fair? The carousel was a bloody projection. It was the most disappointing, soul-crushing theatrical experience in my life, and remains so to this day. It was ridiculous. Not least because it was a production at the Savoy in London so not some poor regional theatre who might not have been able to afford better.

• Wow
  • Heart

OatMatchaLatte

VIP Member
I saw Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre on Saturday...it was so good! We had second row of the stalls. I'd definitely give the standing tickets a go and we're considering going back to see it later in the year.

• Heart

kev1974

VIP Member
Wait till you see what they sell when it's Ladyboys Of Bangkok night in the theatre!

• Haha

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
I saw this advertised a while ago and thought it looked good, I'll see if I can get some tickets!
ive said it before on here its absolutely fantastic and VERY funny and feelgood. Idk why it cant become another feelgood fave in the vein of Come From Away but what do I know? I am the one who used to say that about Bend It Like Beckham which was also Glorious
---
Have a look at the boxes. They fit two people. We had box C it was less than 60 quid for both of us. It’s listed as a restricted view but it’s just a side view and you move your chair to face the right way. The stage revolves so they are constantly moving, we saw 95% of it perfectly and the other 5% we just had to lean forward slightly.
I had a restricted view for about £34 quid or so (used part of a lovetheatre giftcard I had so not sure exactly. I did manage to get 3 shows out of an £80 card tho so go me..Sunset Boulevard, Two Strangers and Hills of California) view not really restricted, comfy. on the aisle near the door handy for bar and the only pain was the pre show subway screeches were a tad loud

lilyannrose

VIP Member
OhmiGodHey did anyone see Mickey Jo’s show last night?! Do tell 😊 I don’t mind his reviews and discussions, I follow him on YouTube but would t go to a live show of a blogger 🤣
I am so curious too! I cannot even begin to fathom anyone out there being willing to go and hear him sing, even if it were for free and no matter if they enjoy his videos otherwise. Nails on a chalkboard sound more attractive!

kev1974

VIP Member
I used to go when it was a teeny-tiny event in Leicester Square! Many years ago now! But other than walking past maybe once or twice and seen the mad crowds, haven't been "in" and spent the day there, since it moved to Trafalgar Square. Prefer to just look through the recordings on Youtube afterwards.

They'll announce the individual Saturday vs Sunday lineup nearer the actual weekend, but yeah it looks fairly standard, a few acts will be on both days, but generally all the well known shows will be on the Saturday, worked around their matinee show times (because they're in London and in costume already so easy for them to wander over to Leicester Square). Sunday will still have a few of the well known shows but is mostly the lesser known shows, the coming soons, and the choir/dance acts.

FreeSquirrels

I’ve seen too many shows with screens this spring. Yes, lucky me to have gone, but just because you can do something it doesn’t need to be done. Going to see Romeo & Juliet in 2 weeks.

Don’t shows/performers fall out of vogue just as quickly though? At one point they barely tolerated any criticism of Carrie but now people say what they like about her