Weird Or Oddly 'Normal' Things People Do (nothing dodgy)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Funerals...

I know its the "norm" but they are really bloody weird aren't they? Like standing, sitting, singing. Who makes these rules? Wear black, dont wear black.

Everyone grieves differently too so some ppl dread a funeral, some look forward to it to get it over with. When you think about it its just such a strange situation!

Reactions: 7
Funerals...

I know its the "norm" but they are really bloody weird aren't they? Like standing, sitting, singing. Who makes these rules? Wear black, dont wear black.

Everyone grieves differently too so some ppl dread a funeral, some look forward to it to get it over with. When you think about it its just such a strange situation!
Good point about everyone grieving differently, therefore a 'standard' funeral is not going to suit every bereaved person.
A relative of mine organised what's called a 'direct cremation' when her partner died - no funeral, no wake, just a time we could all think of the person when we knew the cremation was taking place. It's the only time I've heard of that arrangement but I keep seeing adverts for direct cremation on the tv so it must be gaining popularity, especially as it's bound to be considerably cheaper.

Reactions: 4
Good point about everyone grieving differently, therefore a 'standard' funeral is not going to suit every bereaved person.
A relative of mine organised what's called a 'direct cremation' when her partner died - no funeral, no wake, just a time we could all think of the person when we knew the cremation was taking place. It's the only time I've heard of that arrangement but I keep seeing adverts for direct cremation on the tv so it must be gaining popularity, especially as it's bound to be considerably cheaper.
Im not surprised with the cost these days. I do wonder how much of a traditional funeral is just to get people to part with their cash to show how much they loved someone 😕
I wish those no frills type arrangements were more common tbh as i cant imagine having the financial burden to worry about at such a sad time.
I went to one where theyd already been cremated and ashes spread. Private family only ceremony and the extended family and friends were invited to a party. It was an open bar and food so it wasnt to save money but the person who died just didnt want people to be sad, which is easier said than done BUT the surroundings and set up certainly helped.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My dad had a direct cremation before they were called that. He was very non-conforming, my dad, he didn't want us sitting in a council chapel watching him in a box go behind some curtains, in his word so he wanted us to go for a meal and say goodbye in a place that he would have liked. We ended up in Nandos, which he wouldn't have liked but his teenage granddaughters loved.

• Heart
My dad had a direct cremation before they were called that. He was very non-conforming, my dad, he didn't want us sitting in a council chapel watching him in a box go behind some curtains, in his word so he wanted us to go for a meal and say goodbye in a place that he would have liked. We ended up in Nandos, which he wouldn't have liked but his teenage granddaughters loved.
That sounds like just the kind of send-off your Dad would have wanted. I do think the direct cremation idea is a good option. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It just feels warmer to me. Doing something together which isnt focusing on the morbidity of it all

• Heart
We have our music cds (yep, that old!😂) arranged alphabetically on the shelves.
Does anyone else who still has cds or vinyl do this... ?