Weird Or Oddly 'Normal' Things People Do (nothing dodgy)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thought it'd be good to share the weird and quirky things we or people we know do. Everyday habits we think are normal but are probably a bit odd (not meaning seedy or too personal though).

Not exactly a mind-blower to start off but here goes: whenever I replace a broken kettle (so every 2 or 3 years) I buy ANOTHER kettle as well. So there's always a spare new kettle in its box in the cupboard. Which might be a bit weird... On the plus side you'll never need to be without a cuppa at our house! 😂☕
---
-----------
On a related note to kettles, a weird thing I used to do was boil a FULL kettle 2 or 3 times before making every single hot drink, which was a ridiculous waste of electricity. Anyway I put a stop to that daftness and now only fill the kettle with enough water, and strictly boil once only.
Guess what? Electricity usage is way down on what it used to be. 👍😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I count when I do things. So for example if I pour milk in coffee I’ll count to three as I pour. Its always 3, 5 or 7 depending on what it is. I’ve always done it and I’ve no idea why …

Reactions: 7
No matter how light it is , my husband puts the ceiling light on when he goes in a room .

Reactions: 5
I count when I do things. So for example if I pour milk in coffee I’ll count to three as I pour. Its always 3, 5 or 7 depending on what it is. I’ve always done it and I’ve no idea why …
This is fascinating Prozacprinces. I'm with you on the counting thing. I like the number 5 and without intending to sometimes find myself counting to 5, not necessarily when doing things like you. I always prefer odd years to even years too for some bizarre reason! x
---
No matter how light it is , my husband puts the ceiling light on when he goes in a room .
I love this! He sounds like me with the boiling the full kettle thing I used to do... the cost of living crisis soon put paid to that 'cos boiling full kettles without needing to is so expensive. Lights not so much but still, fecking switch it off man! 😂😬

Must be a man thing, it drives me mad. He then doesn't turn it off. How is it not annoying having light on in broad daylight?

Reactions: 4
Must be a man thing, it drives me mad. He then doesn't turn it off. How is it not annoying having light on in broad daylight?
How are these guys not turning the lights off again... when it's clearly them who switched them on?! 😲

Reactions: 1
My husband unplugs the kitchen appliances at night because he doesn’t “trust” them not to explode or catch fire lmao.

Also, my BIL has this weird thing about opening windows, regardless of what the weather is like outside, whenever he enters a room he has to open a window for some reason. I find it so weird because often he’ll walk into a room that I’m sat in, open every single window, remain in the room for approximately 2 minutes, then get up and leave the room.

Reactions: 6
Thought it'd be good to share the weird and quirky things we or people we know do. Everyday habits we think are normal but are probably a bit odd (not meaning seedy or too personal though).

Not exactly a mind-blower to start off but here goes: whenever I replace a broken kettle (so every 2 or 3 years) I buy ANOTHER kettle as well. So there's always a spare new kettle in its box in the cupboard. Which might be a bit weird... On the plus side you'll never need to be without a cuppa at our house! 😂☕
---
-----------
On a related note to kettles, a weird thing I used to do was boil a FULL kettle 2 or 3 times before making every single hot drink, which was a ridiculous waste of electricity. Anyway I put a stop to that daftness and now only fill the kettle with enough water, and strictly boil once only.
Guess what? Electricity usage is way down on what it used to be. 👍😂
I was listened to a radio programme on kettle electricity usage. They had someone note that a kettle will continue to boil maybe 10-20 seconds before the thermostat clicks in, wasting £s. Its become a sad habit that i listen to it begin to boil and click it off. Who knows if its saved me any money!

Reactions: 3
My husband unplugs the kitchen appliances at night because he doesn’t “trust” them not to explode or catch fire lmao.
Reminds me of a friend whose parents also used to manically unplug everything at night because they too didn't 'trust' them not to set on fire or something. My mate regularly had to go round to reset their video recorder as they'd knacked the planned recordings! 😩😂
---
I was listened to a radio programme on kettle electricity usage. They had someone note that a kettle will continue to boil maybe 10-20 seconds before the thermostat clicks in, wasting £s. Its become a sad habit that i listen to it begin to boil and click it off. Who knows if its saved me any money!
I wouldn't be surprised if it has! I read that kettles, tumble driers and hairdryers are some of the biggest electricity guzzlers, so any time they aren't boiling/heating away is bound to save you a few ££s through the year. 👍

Last edited:
Not exactly a mind-blower to start off but here goes: whenever I replace a broken kettle (so every 2 or 3 years) I buy ANOTHER kettle as well. So there's always a spare new kettle in its box in the cupboard. Which might be a bit weird... On the plus side you'll never need to be without a cuppa at our house
I'm intrigued how often you need to replace your kettle 🤣 Think I've had 2 in 15 years

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I'm intrigued how often you need to replace your kettle 🤣 Think I've had 2 in 15 years
Same. I had mine from Tesco. It lasted 6 years and I only left it behind, because I was moving. It was still working properly . I also clean my kettle out every month or so with lemon juice to remove hard water build up.

Owl you could consider buying a stove top kettle instead if you want something lasting more than 2 years. My grandmother's lasted over 25 years.

As soon as my husband gets up and goes downstairs the tv goes on. Whether hes watching or not its on. If he goes outside its still on.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
As soon as my husband gets up and goes downstairs the tv goes on. Whether hes watching or not its on. If he goes outside its still on.
That would drive me nuts - I'd be forever switching it off behind him! I understand the companionship aspect of tv though, it can be nice for background chatter as long as the volume isn't too loud.

Reactions: 4
That would drive me nuts - I'd be forever switching it off behind him! I understand the companionship aspect of tv though, it can be nice for background chatter as long as the volume isn't too loud.
Its always blasting. He's always shouting over it. Its just totally unnecessary. And yes... I am constantly turning it off. He always comes in 20 minutes later asking why I've turned it off.
When we go out I have to tell him to turn it off. It's not natural at all for him!

I should have known tbh. Its my own fault. When we both lived at home he would leave the TV on and his family never said anything so it's obviously just their norm!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Same. I had mine from Tesco. It lasted 6 years and I only left it behind, because I was moving. It was still working properly . I also clean my kettle out every month or so with lemon juice to remove hard water build up.

Owl you could consider buying a stove top kettle instead if you want something lasting more than 2 years. My grandmother's lasted over 25 years.
Good idea about cleaning out with lemon juice to remove the limescale. 👍 I agree ridiculous about our previous short-lived kettles but it must have been to do with the ridiculous triple/full boiling I used to do!

A friend loves jigsaws (I do too) but he doesn't begin with the edge pieces. He just randomly starts putting the image together by colours, or a building, or the sky. If there wasn't a guide picture (some puzzles don't have one) you wouldn't have a clue.
How can you not start with edge pieces?! 😱🧩

• Wow
  • Haha
I don't know if this is weird but it's weird to me, my partner brushes his teeth with hot water. I think that must be the least refreshing way to a clean mouth

• Wow
  • Haha