WASPI Women

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good news for these ladies but sad for the younger generations whose pensions ages are near enough 70 now
also my workplace retirement scheme overnight raised my pension age to state pension
I dont see how manual workers can last long enough for state retirement. I feel burnt out now and i am under 45

Reactions: 7
Good news for these ladies but sad for the younger generations whose pensions ages are near enough 70 now
also my workplace retirement scheme overnight raised my pension age to state pension
I dont see how manual workers can last long enough for state retirement. I feel burnt out now and i am under 45

I've suggested to my daughter (in her late 30s) that she contributes to her work pension, enjoys life in her 40s, then concentrates on paying off her mortgage. Then the amount she/they (her hubby) are used to paying on the mortgage could go into savings in preparation for retirement.

The thing is by the time people reach their 60s they start to slow down, experience aches and pains, and generally deserve to retire.

Reactions: 4
I've heard the state pension age could well be over 70 before I retire. I've calculated that if I keep paying into my current work pension, I should be able to retire at age 68 because that pension combined with the state pension should be enough to live off (plus I hope to also have savings for back up, too). But if it were to increase to maybe 72, that's an extra four years of working, which takes its toll.

I also notice the minimum retirement age for private pensions is increasing from age 55 to 57 in 2028. That seems a bit bizarre because if you've paid money into a pension why shouldn't you be able to access it at 55 if you're lucky enough to be able to retire at that age? It shows that there's a desire to keep people working longer because the government can't afford to pay out the state pension for the length of time they'd need to if they kept it the same.

My mum was born in the 1950s so she was impacted by the increase in the state pension age. I spoke to her about it recently and she said that, while she would like to see some extra money coming her way, she's not going to hold her breath...

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Which side please? I've flicked through News channels but can't find anything.
Haven't a clue, Happy Lady, statement from Parliament it said @ 4.30 - but you know how long they like to drag these things out. It's all over Twitter but nothing yet as far as I can see. We'll probably read about it tomorrow saying we're getting nowt anyway, so don't you be going booking any world cruises in the meantime. šŸ˜Š

I don't think it's helped their image much that one of the campaigners said she was reliant on the pension money for running costs for two extra properties she owns, when many people under 40 don't expect to ever retire as they're anticipating having to pay private rent for the rest of their lives without the state pension continuing to exist.

Reactions: 8
I don't think it's helped their image much that one of the campaigners said she was reliant on the pension money for running costs for two extra properties she owns, when many people under 40 don't expect to ever retire as they're anticipating having to pay private rent for the rest of their lives without the state pension continuing to exist.

Depends how you look at it. When my friend's husband died he left her everything, including properties, telling her that the income she would make as a Landlady would be worthwhile.

But as you say, rent didn't always cover maintenance costs, so one by one she sold them as she's now in her 70s and it's all too much for her.