Washing up question

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why is everyone saying “washing up bowl”? Surely that’s just what’s called a basin.

Why is everyone saying “washing up bowl”? Surely that’s just what’s called a basin.
A washing up bowl is a plastic bowl some people put in the sink to wash up in so the sink doesn’t get scratched

Reactions: 1
But don’t you then have to clean out the washing up bowl AND the sink? So why not just clean the sink?
A washing up bowl is a very British item, it’s something to do with using the water to water plants when finished. I’ve only evenly know my friend and her mum (both with questionable clean sinks!) not to use a washing up bowl.

To me the pros are, you can still poor away liquid like when someone presents you with a half drunk cup of tea to wash up. You can also have something soaking while still being able to use the sink. Also the bowl acts as a portable bucket for when you need water to clean something away from the sink like the oven etc. Also when emptying you don’t need to put your hand in a sink of hot dirty water to get rid of the plug. I give both my washing up bowl and sink a rinse and bleach my sink once a week or so.

They are very cultural and it’s just something I’ve always had and wouldn’t want to no have one. I know they aren’t popular in the US.

I’m British but I do have friends that use bowls. My SIL is one of them. But I just can’t get used to them as it seems like you have to clean twice. But I don’t let things soak in the sink so I suppose what you say makes sense. Whatever works. But I still have to wash up under running water 😂. I’m terrible

Reactions: 1