Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
No I don’t rinse it, never have and neither did my mum and I’ve never ever had any plate, cup or cutlery tasting of soap suds. As it dries the suds just run off the plate anyway or if you dry it with a towel that also takes them off. Just because someone does something a different way, it doesn’t mean it’s the wrong way. :)

Reactions: 16

lime

I leave them build for 5 days while slowly having an anxiety attack just thinking about facing the sink before giving in on Saturday and washing the dishes where, yes, I wash the suds off with running water.

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Sw4

VIP Member
The concept of a washing up bowl disgusts me, I don't see how things can be cleaned if you're shoving so much dirty cutlery/crockery into stagnant water and worse still if you don't rinse them in running water after scrubbing... So do some people literally take them out of the stagnant dish water and put straight on the draining board?? Wouldn't there still be greasy food residue as well as soap suds on the plates despite perhaps looking clean 🤢

I was so confused when I first came across a washing up bowl in my uni halls, I didn't know why it was there and kept taking it out 😂 like someone else said it may be my culture but none of my family has ever used one. I have the tap running gently with hot water to wash up. If scrubbing something like a pan I will add a little water and washing up liquid but turn off the tap while giving it a good scrub before rinsing in running water. A dirty sink is never an issue because the food will always be trapped and disposed of and the sink throughly cleaned at the end.

Reactions: 7

Taetae95

Might be my culture but I've never used a washing up bowl either! I clean everything thoroughly with the sponge, rinse with hot water and then it's on the draining board to air dry.

Reactions: 6

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
How do you mean 'disgusting'?
This was her sink, not all sinks that don’t have a washing up bowl. It was a questionable shade of orange from tea and she washed up my cup with the dregs of last nights dinner still in the sink (garlic and a sprig of herbs).

• Sick
Reactions: 5

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I don't wash much by hand. Pretty much everything bar the wok, frying pan and Waterford Crystal wine glasses go in the dishwasher. I give them a quick rinse afterwards.
Slightly off topic, but I HATE washing up bowls. They just seem A) Unnecessary and B) Unhygenic

Reactions: 4

The Dowager

Chatty Member
Yes I rinse, I'm not particularly precious but this is one of the things that I'm picky about. Rinsing in hot water means that the suds are removed, any little 'bits' in the dish water don't stay on the item when they're removed from the water, and they dry quicker too.

Most people's washing up makes me :sick:

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
I wash my dishes under hot running water, I don't use a bowl, in fact I don't have one, I have a sink grid to protect the dishes from clashing against the sink. My mum and my sister don't rinse their dishes and never have and their dishes don't taste soapy.

CherryAcid

VIP Member
Only if the dish is soapy once I have washed it. Glasses I usually give a quick rinse, never had a soapy dish or glass yet.

Rippedjeanmaybe

VIP Member
I mean is like washing your hair without rinsing your hair right?-
Not really no, as someone else said, if you’re finding you still have soap suds on your dry dishes when you haven’t rinsed them then you’re probably using too much washing up liquid.

I have minimal soap suds on my dishes when I’ve cleaned them and placed them into the drying rack without rinsing them. By the time they are dry there isn’t a trace of soap suds on them and you certainly can’t taste it when you’re using them.

I think you’re over thinking it, you do what works for you and try not to stress about how others wash their dishes. :)

Tree_

VIP Member
No I don't. What a waste of hot water. I fill my bowl with hit water. The appropriate amount of fairy whilst it's running. I wash the glasses first. Then the cups. Then bowls and plates. Making sure any food or sauces are rinsed or wiped off first and then the cutlery and pots. Make sure your sponge or cloth is clean. I've never had dirty plates or glasses with suds on afterwards

Reactions: 3

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
I don't properly rinse. However, I start washing whilst the sink is filling, so I do give the first things a quick rinse under the still running tap. Nothing's ever tasted soapy though, I think you must be using too much washing up liquid if they do.

Hendrix

Option 3 for me! Never rinse off the soap, put the dishes straight into the dish rack and let them air dry.

Never had any dishes or cutlery tasting like soap.

Just because it’s different, doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

GetOffMyLawn

I always rinse! I’m surprised to learn that not all do?! If you use a dishwasher it also runs a rinse mode after washing.

Keikochan

VIP Member
I just wash & rinse under tap at same time, if it's something like a pot then I fill the pot a little & scrub & then rinse :unsure:

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
This was her sink, not all sinks that don’t have a washing up bowl. It was a questionable shade of orange from tea and she washed up my cup with the dregs of last nights dinner still in the sink (garlic and a sprig of herbs).
That does sound pretty disgusting, but it sounds like if she had a washing up bowl, she'd probably not bother to clean that properly either.

The concept of a washing up bowl disgusts me, I don't see how things can be cleaned if you're shoving so much dirty cutlery/crockery into stagnant water and worse still if you don't rinse them in running water after scrubbing... So do some people literally take them out of the stagnant dish water and put straight on the draining board?? Wouldn't there still be greasy food residue as well as soap suds on the plates despite perhaps looking clean 🤢
I just can't see the point in them to be honest. I mean if you're going to use a washing up bowl, presumably you're going to clean it when finished and clean the sink after tipping the contents of the bowl down the plughole, so isn't it just one more thing to clean or do people who use them never clean their sink?

Tea4u

VIP Member
So, finally someone spoke about this. Apologies this is probably the most useless thread. Do you rinse you plates under the running water. I have met two person in my life who don’t rinse off soap suds.

Why would anyone want to eat fairy liquid?
Can’t even believe there was other options I thought everyone did option one

Lhm87

No I don’t rinse, I never have. I imagine you’d only need to if you’re using too much washing up liquid. I can literally watch the few suds left run off my pots on the draining board. Definitely don’t get the soap drying on and you certainly can’t taste it.

Reactions: 2